Anomaly with refuelling?

The Seer

My car is 2002 Fabia Estate SDi. I've noticed when refuelling the tank normally holds around 40 ltrs.

However today I discovered a small catch/lever just inside the filler neck. I filled right up into the filler neck as usual, however when I pushed catch/lever the fuel drained from the neck allowing more fuel to enter. Can anyone tell me what this lever is? I suspect it allows an opening to the expansion tank?

Thanks. :yes:

Yeah it does it's an expansion tank. It's there for petrols as it expands more. Since diesel expands at suck a minute level then it's fine to use. You may see people talk on here about how they've done X amount of miles to a tank including venting

Yeah it does it's an expansion tank. It's there for petrols as it expands more. Since diesel expands at suck a minute level then it's fine to use. You may see people talk on here about how they've done X amount of miles to a tank including venting

Thanks. :)

Yes I have noticed it seems to have far more miles for a tank on the trip computer than normal.

How much would it cost roughly to fill up with the expansion tank and without. I brimmed it and it cost £57. I've now done 450 miles and the red light has just come on saying 70 left. Will I of used the expansion tank or not?

No the expansion tank is only used when you flick the little lever type thing on the right of the filler neck. Mine takes about 38-40 litres I think off the top of my head, from near empty to first click.

Matt

Thanks matt- I'm off to the filling station in the morning before a 100 mile round trip so I'll try the expansion tank then :)

Cheers

I don't think I filled the expansion tank completely full but from the red on the fuel gauge I managed to fill up with £66 worth of diesel.

I've covered 170 miles so far with an average of 62 mpg and the needle on the gauge hasn't moved at all!

I reckon I'll cover just under 700 miles to the next re fuel.