Dash display problems

alandB

I hope someone can advise please....

We have a 2006 Skoda Octavia Classic FSI which there was no problems with until we left it in for MOT check and service. The mechanic was doing the final check over (got new brake pads and oil change) and noticed that the front wipers weren't working. However, he didn't realise that they don't work whenever the bonnet is up to prevent damage to the wiper arms. Anyway, to make a long story short he done lots of tests to try and fix wipers (changed battery, checked wiper moter, fuses etc.) even though they were never broken in the first place. In doing all this he has caused some other problems:

1) the clock and trip counter reset back to 0 after the engine is switched off

2) the fuel and temp guages both flicker up and down when ignition is switched on and then settle and proper level

3) there is a red symbol which appears for a few seconds after the engine is switched on and then goes off. It is the electromechanical power steering waring light.

He has checked the fuses and says they're ok.

Does anyone know what he might have done and have you any ideas how it could be fixed?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Take a look at fuse SB6. It's not in the fuse holder - It's inside the E Box and is marked as F2.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I checked all the fuses at the end of the dash and under the bonnet and all were OK. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Alan

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I checked all the fuses at the end of the dash and under the bonnet and all were OK. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Alan

Would be very interested in how you get on with sorting this as I have not disimilar problems which haven't yet been diagnosed.

Sarge.

Take a look at fuse SB6. It's not in the fuse holder - It's inside the E Box and is marked as F2.

Hi Richard,

It was this fuse, it was burnt in the corner, so the mechanic hadn't noticed it. The dash display is now working as it should. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Alan

• 2 years later...

rwbaldwin Thank you!!!!!!

I had problem with my battery so I tested current draw on the battery by pulling out each fuse, and accidentally I put fuse SB6 on SB5 place. And as usual forgot to take picture of fuse box. My clock and trip meter kept resetting each time I turned off the engine. And odometer and clock did not displayed values when car was turned off.

Here is the location of this fuse. I hope it will help, because I had problems finding the fuse. It is in the e-box, the fuse box under the hood not in right dashboard panel.

Octavia Mk2 SB6 Fuse Location

rwbaldwin Thank you once again!!!!!!

Edited by doggara

• 5 years later...
On 02/03/2019 at 09:47, silver1011 said:

pls, my Skoda Octavia dashboard light is not coming up the the engine refuse to start. What am I to do.

thanks

3 hours ago, Lanfad said:

pls, my Skoda Octavia dashboard light is not coming up the the engine refuse to start. What am I to do.

thanks

No dashboard lights at all?

What happens when you turn the key in the ignition, is the engine turning over, but not starting, or is it not doing anything at all?

If the latter, I'd be tempted to check the battery first.