Death of a turbo?

So the 2.0 tdi Octavia did the exciting limp mode thing last week during a spirited drive home. Was fine after a restart. It has always had a bit of the siren noise but this has got a wee bit louder of late.

Next day tried some steady accelerations up to 4000 revs and was able to put it into limp mode again. It is fine if you change up before 3000 revs and does not go into limp mode even if you are driving up long drags at about 70mph.

Realising it was probably the sticky vanes (previous 1.9 tdi went the same way) I am going through the cycle of grief (anger, acceptance etc).

I couldn't get it into the garage until a week or so. I decided to put some industrial strength fuel system cleaner (Pro Tec Aqua Diesel system cleaner) to see if it helped any (not overly optimistic as I guess that cleans everything up to the turbo). It went to the garage yesterday (having not been used much) and after a couple of days they have not been able to get it to go into limp mode. It did have a turbo overboost fault code which they have cleared. They have suggested running it for a week or so and see if it does it again.

I took it for a drive after picking it up. After warming it up I tried some hard accelerations up to 4000 revs and some more steady ones. Could not get it to go into limp mode again. Not sure if it has been a sticky vane and the combination of the fuel treatment and some hard driving may have cleared it a bit.

I would say I generally drive for economy but I usually try to put in a couple of harder accelerations on each drive to keep the turbo working.

I have bought some Innotec Turbo cleaner and the garage are going to put that through the turbo next week. Hopefully it will help.

Then again it might just be a turbo doing a slow death (have already been looking at recon turbos).

Will keep this tread updated on how it goes.

Has anyone had extended success with the Innotec turbo cleaner e.g. still going strong 10000 miles later, that sort of thing to give me some false hope?

Regards

I would not describe as loud as such. You can hear it up to about 30mph.

My parents had their turbo replaced, and the new one was audible when accelerating at slower speeds (i.e. the 30mph you mentioned) from the moment they were given the car back.

It sounds/sounded nothing like this:

Edited by martinch

Hi,

Slight update, no return of the limp mode so far. Did a big run up north yesterday with mixture of motorway and fast A roads. Gave it some big accelerations with no issues. The Pro Tec diesel cleaner certainly seems to have had an effect on the general running of the engine.

Car is booked into local garage to have the Innotec stuff run through the Turbo next week.

Don't think the diesel cleaner could have fixed the Turbo over boost so still not sure how that happened!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Car has been running fine with no limp mode since last update.

It went into the garage yesterday and had the Innotec Turbo clean done. After some initial head scratching by the staff (they have never done it before) they did the job fine. Cost £60.

Only done a short drive but it does feel as though it is driving more smoothly with more power. Of course this is entirely subjective.

Hopefully this has cured the problems!!

Regards

on a similar note i have the same issue with 105 pd dsg recently. goes to limp mode everytime i cross 4k rpm mark.after a stop/start again its normal. siren noise is there since a long time between 1K to 1.5K rpm.

any fix to these problem?or should i get the turbo rebuild?

Any fix to these problem?or should i get the turbo rebuild?

Given the success of the Innotec turbo cleaner for the OP and the similar symptoms you are experiencing I would be tempted to give it a try before rebuilding the turbo.

Assuming of course it is available in India...

http://www.dieselturbocleaner.co.uk/

Edited by silver1011

• 1 month later...

Bit wary of tempting fate, but what's the consensus view on whether it's worth running some Innotec through as a pre-emptive preventive measure for a turbo which is (currently) showing no issues of concern? It's for a 2.0 litre, 06 plate with 80k

Edited by mark antony

Its the prequel. 'Death of a Salesman' is where you take the car back with a duff turbo and run over the bloke who sold it to you :giggle:

:clap:

I like!