Fitting 14" alloys

Grant

I've been offered some VW alloys with 175/80 r14 tyres on. The wheels on at the moment are also 14" but have 185/60 r14 (standard size) tyres on.

Are they safe to use or will they catch or grip the road less.

The cars a Fabia PD100 Comfort.

Cheers. :)

You'll need new smaller tyres in 185/60 R14 profile to go on the new alloys if you want to use them with your Fabia. Using 80 profile tyres will cause all kinds of problems - mainly rubbing I should think. Would also look quite comical. :)

With the proprer tyres 14" alloys do look good on Fabia's - like the elegance trim furbies do.

I've been offered some VW alloys with 175/80 r14 tyres on. The wheels on at the moment are also 14" but have 185/60 r14 (standard size) tyres on.

Are they safe to use or will they catch or grip the road less.

The cars a Fabia PD100 Comfort.

Hi Grant' date='

Visited the Car Maintenance Bible - [url']http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/[/url]

He has a Wheel and tyre bible http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html

This page lets you input values of the old and new wheel / tyre sizes which show whether the rolling radius and circumference will be similar.

I have captured on a Word doc the pertinent calcs for your current and prospective new wheel size/tyre size. The upshot is that the tyres your mate has for sale are a much higher circumference and will cause your speedo to under-read by 10%. Not good for avoiding speed camera penalties.

Wheel calc.doc

Cheers Richardsonij, thats a great site.

I might do that. They've got Dunlops on at the moment and around half thread left. Just got to find a tyre fitter first. If not I could always eBay them. BTW do you want some tyres ? :)

You'll want Skoda badges to replace the VW maybe - look at eBay. Jason Devonutopia even had some for sale a while ago!

Our UK resident Dutchman, Q, got those centre caps. ;) All I have left now is my F A B I A badges, comfort badges, and an SDI badge too.