vRSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS project and build

vRSy

Have you found a suitable replacement for it? I wouldn't mind the new Focus ST next year and a simple remap gives nearly 300bhp with no other mods needed. Been in one of these remapped and they are rapid! Easily quicker than my Octy VRS at Stage 2+ and out handled it too.

Not yet mate. Im looking for a big second hand luxury barge like a Merc E or S class or Jag for a daily runner as well as something like a Clio 172 Cup or a ready prepped track car. Going to give the new cars a rest for a while I think. Between new car depreciation and modifications, Ive wasted a horrific amount of cash over the last 6 years or so especially as I do such low mileage. Rarely do i do more than 5k a year. Thinking ill sell the Fabia for maybe £9.5-10k then throw the money from the sale into a house and invest it. The money I make from the mods when i sell it will go towards some cars.

Where abouts north of Elgin mate?

Forres mate. Its more east than north though lol

Are you liking it there?

Im not there yet. It wont be a social visit though, ill be busy working probably without the chance to sample the local culture.

Im not there yet. It wont be a social visit though, ill be busy working probably without the chance to sample the local culture.

Sample!! ... They are humans too btw! ... Anyway, I am sure your going to be surprised.

Theres a drift ready s14 for sale up near you somewhere if your after a rather intresting track car ;)

go on then, give us a link, im open to many options. :giggle: Looking on Autotrader i now realise I've been spoilt for choice living in the UK previously. Theres hardly anything decent that I want within 150 miles of me here in Scotland.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/200sx-silvia/200sx-s14a-pro-spec-drift-car/933462

Just think of all the sideways fun to be had..... :D

As for clio cups and such a place called perfor.ance eccose (where i got my car and about 20seconds from my houseusaly have one or two of these along with other things like that, think my mates tempted by a mk1 focus rs they have)

The mk1 Focus looks in good nick. But Id tell your friend it has not had the recalls completed, such at the updated stitched front seats or the throttle cable update. Might be worth mentioning to haggle them down a few pounds :thumbup:

http://www.pistonhea...rift-car/933462

Just think of all the sideways fun to be had..... :D

As for clio cups and such a place called perfor.ance eccose (where i got my car and about 20seconds from my houseusaly have one or two of these along with other things like that, think my mates tempted by a mk1 focus rs they have)

That 200SX is ace!! Im off out of the UK next week but i might consider a look at that when I get back. Because theres very little on the market around here at the moment, i went out and bought a mk2 mondeo as a runner, so i can sell the vRS and still have a run about whilst i find a car i want so i can take my time now searching for something that flicks my buttons

• 1 month later...

Well, my turbo etc are on route to southern UK to be installed back on the car. hoping to get the car back next week.

Ill get her back with stock turbo, VWR downpipe, stage 2 map. Thats how the car will be getting sold.

• 2 months later...

Update time.

My car is pretty much reverted to stock now.

Stock springs/ARBs

Stock Intake

Stock Turbo (stage 2 map)

Stock Intercooler/Radiator

Stock battery

Stock coilpacks

Stock Engine mounts

No WMI

Tarox BBK still on but coming off this week.

Initial thoughts, jesus christ its slooooooooow.  Jesus christ its got way too much body roll. Jesus christ, it looks ridiculously high.  Also MPG is now lower by around 3-5mpg than it was running stage 3!!!

Slight issues:  

I have a crack in the rear bumper which i didnt realise was there when i collected the car, and ive only just noticed it when i washed the car today.

I still have a power steering issue despite it having 2 new steering racks and 2 new power steering pumps (initially assumed the replacement parts must have been faulty) which made no difference, its also had a new steering angle sensor.  It must be a voltage or earth issue so thats something im going to be looking into this next week or so.

Bump peoples

The following parts are off the car and ready to be sold

VWRacing Induction kit. I didnt like the design of the Fabia vRS version which seemed to attempt to suck air in from no where, so i went for the Polo GTI version, however this WILL NOT fit with the standard battery in place. It does however fit with a lightweight race battery( I just happen to be selling one of these as well). The engine cover also fits in place with the induction kit fitted.

IMG_20120315_165048.jpg

£185 Incl Postage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Dynamics Pro1.2 17"x7" 5x100 ET35 alloys shod in Federal 595RSR semi slick tyres. Same alloys as shown above. They will complete with the tapered bolts. These alloys will fit any Mk4 based Golf platform (Mk1 Leon/Octavia etc) as well as the Fabia/Ibiza/Polo platforms. The Fereral 595 RSR semi slicks are nothing short of awesome. IMO 90% the dry grip of an R88, but with masses more wet grip. I use it as an everyday tyre that can be used on or off track. Ive not see the car since it went in the garage in March, but there was lots of tread left then, and it hasnt covered any miles since.

20120911_152601.jpg

£650 +Postage. ( i need to confirm courier costs)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKADA Coil packs. These produce a much stronger spark and reduce the likelihood of misfres susbtantially. http://www.okadaproj...ucts_direct.htm. As with the previous parts, these have covered minimal mileage. Approx 3-4k.

impp-1205-16-o+AEM-4-channel-wideband-UE

£350 Incl Postage

VWR Lowering springs. Look awesome, ride superbly and transform the handling. Approx 3-4 k mileage.  

sport-springs.jpg

£110 + postage

So todays update

The brakes are off the car now.  Forgot how poor the stock brakes were  :wall:  and they look so small its unreal.

Trackday alloys/tyres are now off the car and im running 205/40 Conti's and now despite having about 50Hp less power I now have wheelspin again.  Thats been something I havent experienced in a long while in this car.

The choice of cars available in Aberdeen, Perth, Edinburgh. Glasgow or even Dundee matches any place else in the UK.

Sports and Super cars readily available. be that new or used.

& prices as good as any place else.

Aberdeen Oil Capital of Europe, plenty of money around and cars a plenty, of all types and values.

What is it that you are after?

george

• Like 1

Not sure tbh, just trying to find something that flicks my switches.  Id rather not travel down to Aberdeen or perth etc to view something that isnt as good as i wanted, and waste a journey.  Im biding my time.  My car will come to me

Quick question Sy, has reverting to 220bhp "runabout" mode more or less eliminated the issues you have mentioned with the car in the thread? Is it showing to be reliable at this level of tune. Having probably got one of the most detailed threads on tuning this car, any advice for those of us who maybe aren't looking to hit 270bhp but are tempted to get a little more out of the 1.4tsi? Handling mods for me are a given but I'm still conflicted as to whether the car can even hold reliability on a stage 1 map.

Also of the above items taken off the car, what is still available/are you still trying to sell?

Which issues are you referring to?  There werent any running issues even at stage 3?  The only issues occurred if we turned the boost up which resulted in excessive high RPM misfires hence why we chose to keep the boost low.

I personally dont think tuning is the problem with these engines.  You either have a good egg or a bad one.  I wouldnt buy a car with this engine again personally.  

Mods wise its all off apart from the lightweight battery.  Still to sell all I have are the lightweight alloys with Federal 595 RSR tyres and a Decat OEM exhaust. 

• 4 weeks later...

Heres the replacement car

DSCF1072.JPG

DSCF1075.JPG

DSCF1076.JPG

DSCF1078.JPG

Comparisons

The steering and handling is much much better in the ST by a huge margin.  Performance wise v a stage 2 1.4TSI id say the ST loses out, not by a huge margin but still noticeable.  Id be interested to see how they compare side by side as the Fabia felt very urgent low down whereas the ST is very very linear in its power delivery, so maybe its the initial shove from the supercharger in the vRS that gives a placebo.

Plans are no where near as extreme as in the Fabia, ive definitely been put off the modding bud at that level now.  Im thinking Mountune Upgrade (Remap, intake, Intercooler), some higher spec brake pads/fluid and a rear ARB.  Ill draw the line there then and just enjoy it.  In total my Fabia spent over a year parked up the Shark Performance/Jabbasport/APR/Pace Products workshops!!!

• Like 4