vRSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS project and build

vRSy

What power to weight ratios are the modified Mk1s managing?

In all honesty, i cant see a Mk1 challenging it on a 1/4 mile run. Id be confident of a 13.5 in mine in good conditions maybe faster if i can nail the launch. A rolling start might be more interesting though

My old car was around 200 per tonne, Jason's is more.

Mine would run a 13.60, but always felt it had a 13.5 in it.

Jason is in the 13.4 area now I believe.

So Jason is my target then lol. Whats he running now? Thats got nitrous and all sorts hasnt it?

Should be what "will" he be running now. I ordered a rather juicy turbo on new years eve. ;) Fairly confident of nudging 340bhp by April time. We shall see.

So Bossfox is my target then.

Id imagine with a diesels 340hp and the masses of torque that results from it would be a traction nightmare.

My old car. :)

It was still running on standard injectors with no real engine internal work.

Just bolt ons and a polished head for around 200bhp per tonne, 255(ish) total.

Jason has now gone way beyond this.

It's best was 13.6092

Hoping to beat it with the new car myself... (and Jason! :peek: )

While the key to a Fabia size/weight car is manouverability, I'd still like to see what this can do at the quarter mile one day.

It's clearly the most powerful mkII out there and would be interesting to see how it compares to the more highly tuned mkIs.

Even at 250bhp it's got more per tonne, with the positive of the rapid gear changes and the negative of less torque it may be pretty close.

BTW, nice to see it being used as it should be too. :)

my car and jasons on the runway in czech... the DSG shows its worth in the getaway... but jasons power shows the end result.... mine obviously doesn't have sy's power, so would be interesting...

BUT then Jason is getting a better turbo this year! :o

I love the interaction/control of a manual. I know its slower and I accept that, but the whole clutch/revs/shifting thing I find very addictive. I will just randomly downshift on a drive for no real reason, obviously with a quick blip of the throttle to rev match. :D

• Like 2

That's getting to me a bit too. I take my parents Swift down to the shops and do this at normal speeds and find it satisfying when I get it right

I'm considering my options next year (sorry THIS year) (still leaning to keep the vRS out of warrenty and modify though)

looked at hyundai veloster turbo... looks really good in pics, and really BAD in the flesh... and over £21k?! no. also suzuki garage there, and looked at the new swift sport...... it gets ALL the brilliant reviews, and the price is something I can afford... but its SOOO basic inside..... it would have to be 10 times better at handling than my vRS to make me even consider it as a replacement...and I thought of 2 overtakes I couldn't have done in the swift that day alone! That would have annoyed me, because I would have spent the following 10 miles going very slowly dont my fave road because I couldn't safely overtake..... no way to exploit the fun handling then....

• Like 1

my car and jasons on the runway in czech... the DSG shows its worth in the getaway... but jasons power shows the end result.... mine obviously doesn't have sy's power, so would be interesting...

BUT then Jason is getting a better turbo this year! :o

must say, considering the power difference, once the jasons fabia had pulled that initial gap, the Mk2 maintained it to about 120mph. Was that mk2 mapped or stock?

My car wasn't running particular well then either. Meth wasn't injecting and think I got some dodgy fuel. Getting those racing excuses in now. I can tell now from my onboard footage from the DR400G that the engine wasn't sounding as perky as it usually does. I was also carrying a large passenger :D (Another racing excuse ;) )

We all like our excuses. I have a fair share for the last 1/4 mile testing we did when the car was on the earliest BETA test map.

It suffered misfires and overboosts which led to limpmodes or limited boost. Bizarrely they occurred if you changed gear whilst the car was struggling for traction. So short shifting to 2nd then 3rd to gain traction caused limp modes. Luckily thats sorted now. T

It was on very very worn 205 wide Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres which span through 1, 2 and 3rd gear lol.

And the guy behind the wheel couldnt better a 2.8 second 60ft!!!! Still a 14.0 at 105mph iirc with a 2.8sec 60 ft and all the issues i think is pretty good.

Since then the car has:

Suspension, wider Semi Slick tyres, lighter wheels, lighter brakes, lighter battery, water methanol injection, plasma coilpacks and an intake. Once the engine mounts are fitted ill give it another go but id be miffed if i dont better that 14.0 by half a second at least.

• Like 1

lol... not at all, I didn't maintain this for 15 mins, with 4 people and luggage on at all ;)

topspeedrun.jpg

edit: seemed to hit a wall, couldn't get any more :p

edit: in Germany of course!!!!!! check out the side of the road, clear dry conditions blah blah....

I'm still on original PD100 mounts, but they seem up to the job, and its the lower engine mount movement which can kill the top mounts. So I think me fitting an ultra-soild bush down below (sounds so wrong! :D) has preserved the top mounts. I know there are kits out there for £200 odd, but I'd sooner spend on something else more fun :D

The last run at the pod i could here the engine/gearbox clunking on the gear changes, and at Mallory i could here the same when downshifting whilst stomping on the stop pedal. So i guess mine might well be on the way out.

Makes sense to do tem all IMO. Ive heard them in Jamies car and they are abit OTT when the car is initially turned on from cold but once warm you will hardly notice them