short screeching sound on start up ?

hi all just a quick question had my vrs a while now but have noticed that when u turn the key u get this awful screeching sound for about a couple of seconds then all is fine. i did type into google vrs noise on start up and the forum came up with secondary air pump but i know that aint the problem as it doesnt last for a minute. but a couple of topics came up with starter motor which sounds more like the problem but just want to make sure that is what the cause might be.

thanks all

thanks all for your help on that will have to check the condition of the starter motor and see if there is anything that might point out that it needs changing and to answer babs quesion umm well as u turn the key it does the usual sound of the engine turning over then theres an awful screech but only for a few seconds then its all fine i pretty much know it aint the secondary air pump as it would sound like a very loud hoover

take the starter out, then take undo the starter casing, and clean and regrease the internals, it will solve the screeching and is cheaper than buying new!