Black winter wheels finally going silver

Indeed they are 54mm. I just ordered hat ejstubbs had listed! And they worked a treat.

No idea if they will fit on Audi alloys sorry Sanqhar.

Yet these wheels were still black... So with a £4,95 can of Autoglym silver paint in hand I started the process this past weekend. Yes, I baulked at the near £300 to have them properly stripped, painted, baked and what not by someone else. They are just winter steel wheels and not some exotic alloy wheel! So this will do for now.

Hi Johann,

I have done exactly the same to my winter wheels! As they were brand new I did not have to do much cleaning. The silver spray was actually called "Sliver Alloy spray". Can't remember what make it was, but managed to get several coats on and do the insides as well. They are now packed up again in the cardboard boxes, and stored in the garage loft - awaiting the arrival of the rest of the SM!!

I would show a couple of pictures, but have not learnt how to yet...

Peter

Well I had my previous 6J black steel winter wheels for part of one season. They worked a treat but looked lost in the wheel arches. So thanks to a member on here I bought his 215/60 7J steel wheels for this coming winter. The eagle eyed will spot a 7J from a 6J in that these have 18 smaller holes compared to a 6J's bigger 14 holes! Don't ask me why! (For comparison here is a photo of my 6J's on my car - you can see the holes are a LOT bigger)

Yet these wheels were still black... So with a £4,95 can of Autoglym silver paint in hand I started the process this past weekend. Yes, I baulked at the near £300 to have them properly stripped, painted, baked and what not by someone else. They are just winter steel wheels and not some exotic alloy wheel! So this will do for now.

First I had to wash them properly and then cleaned them with some T-cut. But since they only had a meagre 100miles on the clock there was not much cleaning needed thankfully. Nor any repairing as they are in mint condition.

Hi Mate,

Did you key or prime them first?

Hi Mate,

Did you key or prime them first?

I did not prime them since they were basically brand new. Will see how well they last, but they are just winter steel wheels so not really worried! :giggle:

Before & After!

Spitzberg

IMG_0580.jpg

Skoda Steels, sprayed silver

IMG_0576.jpg

With Caddy full centre covers

IMG_0796.jpg

Spitzberg, close up

IMG_0581.jpg

Skoda Steels, close up

IMG_0578.jpg

With Caddy full centre covers, close up

IMG_0797.jpg

Summers are Pirelli P Zero Rosso 225/50R17

Winters are Avon Ice Touring ST 215/60R16

(Many thanks to Johann for the Centre Covers! :) )

Edited by speedsport

Speedsport: that looks fantastic! Glad you Got the caps all ok. I realised I won't ever take my newly created Škoda ones off to do these "every now and then" so I'm very happy yet found a good home.

Speedsport: that looks fantastic! Glad you Got the caps all ok. I realised I won't ever take my newly created Škoda ones off to do these "every now and then" so I'm very happy yet found a good home.

No, thank you Johann! ;) Without your "push", I'd still be thinking about which caps to buy, rather than actually getting 'em bought!

(I used to be undecided, but these days I just can't seem to make up my mind!)

John H

Edited by speedsport

Went out this morning, first speed hump, heard a clatter & was overtaken by one of my nice new Caddy flush centre covers! Oops! :doh:

Once I had retrieved the errant cover from its hiding place under a parked car, I removed the other three (without use of any tools) & once back home had a closer look at them. The Caddy flush trims locate perfectly on the locking wheel nut, but don't actually locate on the standard nuts at all. Further research reveals that the Petrol Yeti has 17mm hex heads on its wheel bolts, whereas the Caddy has 19mm heads. I don't know if the diesel Yeti is different, but I imagine all have 17mm bolts.

So, after a bit of experimentation (never let it be said that I'm not adventurous) I found that by leaving the plastic nut caps in place, the Caddy trims push over them perfectly and don't need Goliath to fit them either.

The only snag is that they sit about 1mm proud of the wheel. Now, if you have black wheels, this is probably not noticeable, but as mine are silver the appearance can be improved with a spot of careful trimming with a sharp knife

The Caddy flush trims have two webs partway across each "bolt hole" that I assume would normally bear against the bolts to act as a stop. This prevents the trim pushing properly home with the bolt caps in place:-

IMG_0798.jpg

So, I merely removed half the height of each web:-

IMG_0799.jpg

& now they not only fit securely over the bolts (with all 5 bolt caps in place), they fit snugly against the wheel too. Sorted! :smirk:

Edited by speedsport

Went out this morning, first speed hump I, heard a clatter & was overtaken by one of my nice new Caddy flush centre covers! Oops! :doh:

Gosh! I had had them on a season and even did this with them on:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/184516-my-yeti-doing-donuts-in-the-snow/

And they never ever fell off and needed a really good yank to get off as well.................. Hmmm. Maybe TP can explain the bolts?

Gosh! I had had them on a season and even did this with them on:

[MOVIE]

And they never ever fell off and needed a really good yank to get off as well.................. Hmmm. Maybe TP can explain the bolts?

Ah, that explains all the "last season" salt still on the inside of 'em Johann !!! :giggle:

I'd be surprised if some Yetis have 17mm bolt heads, and others 19mm, but I can't think of any other explanation. Without the plastic nut caps, the trims pull off easily by hand. Now, with the centre trims pushed over the nut caps, the little "ring pull" tool is needed to gently pull them off.

I'm sure if your bolt heads are the same as mine, you'd have soon lost the trims whilst tobogganing!

Now we need a Yeti expert! Any ideas TP?

Edited by speedsport

Ah, that explains all the "last season" salt still on the inside of 'em Johann !!! :giggle:

I'd be surprised if some Yetis have 17mm bolt heads, and others 19mm, but I can't think of any other explanation. Without the plastic nut caps, the trims pull off easily by hand. Now, with the centre trims pushed over the nut caps, the little "ring pull" tool is needed to gently pull them off.

I'm sure if your bolt heads are the same as mine, you'd have soon lost the trims whilst tobogganing!

Now we need a Yeti expert! Any ideas TP?

On my Yeti I had to use the little hook tool to pull them off.................. And the plastic bolt covers were in a bag in my shed so they were NOT on. Grrr.

I am in the process of preparing my winter wheels, I got the T5 caps and am trying to workout a way to make them fit securely, as the alloy plastic bolt covers help to to make them a tighter fit, I am experimenting with making my own thicker nut covers with short bits of split plastic plumbing pipe so I can get a wider/longer and therefore tighter grip on the wheel nuts and caps, not sure it will work - but will keep the forum updated.

Where can I get the caps from? And what do I need? The ones that fit properly for 15" steelies? :think:

Are you looking to fit steels to a Yeti, and if so do you mean 15" or 16" ? I didn't think that 15" steels fit over the Yeti brake calipers! If they are for your Fabia, you need to find caps for wheels with the right PCD for your car. (PCD is Pitch Circle Diameter, ie the diameter of a circle drawn through the exact centre of all the bolt holes)

If they are for a Yeti, you can buy the trims new from VW Van agents, see post #40 for part numbers & prices, or you can search on eBay for VW Caddy centre caps, Caddy centre trims, Caddy hub caps etc. I recommend that you don't go for the similar looking VW T5 trims as they are intended for wheels with a different PCD.

There have been comments in previous posts that the flush trims don't fit properly on "look-alike" wheels that some independents like My Tyres supply. But they do fit VAG genuine 6J 16" steels with PCD of 112mm & 5 bolt hubs.

If they are for your Fabia, you need to be asking the question on the Fabia forum as I have no idea of the PCD (or even the number of bolts) for that car.

Edited by speedsport

Indeed it is the PCD that counts and OT the rim size. So the caps should fit. BUT depending on the bolt diameter outcome!

Hi all,

had a look at the Russian VAGCATS parts system ( as my fleebay ETKA has life expired again :S ) and best I can tell as there's quite a few versions of Caddy the 2010 bog standard verity has the same wheel bolts as the Yeti (that's all Yeti 2wd or 4x4):

M14 x 1.5 x 27.5

P/N WHT 001 812

Both my 4x4 Yeti's have been fitted with the bolts needing a 17mm socket and it's odd that on one vehicle they stay on and another they fall off with the same bolts :wonder:

Johann believe your original wheels were the Audi part numbered 6Jx16 ET50 :wonder: are the caps being 're-fitted' to the same size rims :wonder: :wonder:

Regards,

TP

Johann believe your original wheels were the Audi part numbered 6Jx16 ET50 :wonder: are the caps being 're-fitted' to the same size rims :wonder: :wonder:

Thanks TP

My original 6J steel wheels were ordered with my car so are Škoda originals as far as I knew. Merlinsfriend now has them. Part number on them was 8PO 060102703C.

I've also not changed bolts and use the standard bolts my Spitzbergs came with.

Are you looking to fit steels to a Yeti, and if so do you mean 15" or 16" ? I didn't think that 15" steels fit over the Yeti brake calipers! If they are for your Fabia, you need to find caps for wheels with the right PCD for your car. (PCD is Pitch Circle Diameter, ie the diameter of a circle drawn through the exact centre of all the bolt holes)

If they are for a Yeti, you can buy the trims new from VW Van agents, see post #40 for part numbers & prices, or you can search on eBay for VW Caddy centre caps, Caddy centre trims, Caddy hub caps etc. I recommend that you don't go for the similar looking VW T5 trims as they are intended for wheels with a different PCD.

There have been comments in previous posts that the flush trims don't fit properly on "look-alike" wheels that some independents like My Tyres supply. But they do fit VAG genuine 6J 16" steels with PCD of 112mm & 5 bolt hubs.

If they are for your Fabia, you need to be asking the question on the Fabia forum as I have no idea of the PCD (or even the number of bolts) for that car.

Yes for a Fabia vRS - got some 6J 15" VAG steelies.

Thanks TP

My original 6J steel wheels were ordered with my car so are Škoda originals as far as I knew. Merlinsfriend now has them. Part number on them was 8PO 060102703C.

I've also not changed bolts and use the standard bolts my Spitzbergs came with.

8PO is an Audi original part , hence why I believe there more expensive than the 7Jx16 which has a VW number :wonder:

TP

Hey plumber just a progress report to tell you i have ordered the 110 elegance that you kindly sent me the link to. still havnt even seen a picture.

Do yo guys just order 4 new vw steelies from dealers or second hand ? Have been reading this post with interest and want to get organised for the winter.

. I have 2 brand new goodyear 4 seasons 17 inch winter tyres that came off my old 2wd yeti if anyone is interested.

They have only done a 2 0r 300 miles as we couldnt get until the end of winter. also have two brand new 14 inch cooper winter tyres that i put on my citreon berlingo van 2 weeks before i traded it in for a nissan primastar .

I bought the steelies with tyres from mytyres. I have some 16 inch 6j wheels spare if you want to fit the smaller tyres and can live with the look, ( see earlier pics of johann's)

I bought the steelies with tyres from mytyres. I have some 16 inch 6j wheels spare if you want to fit the smaller tyres and can live with the look, ( see earlier pics of johann's)

On the other hand as you'll see in post #55 16" wheels with 215/60's are marginally larger than the standard fit 17's so they don't look as small as those in earlier posts, especially when painted silver. Yer pays yer money & makes yer choice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...