Black winter wheels finally going silver

@900000

The wheels are super. I want to asking you something. :)

Did you use prime before use the paint?

Did you washing the wheels so far? With the water pressure?

Thanks. The wheels where brand now so no I did not use a primer but I did seal them afterwards with a clear lacquer paint. I have not done enough miles yet for them to have needed a wash yet! So not washed them. I hope my paint does not get washed off! :giggle:

I hope so! ;)

I forgot to tell you... i bought last autumn the same winter tyres: kleber krisalp hp2.

Ah good! They are made by Michelin. Do you find them noisy? I do! I did not have a choice in them to be honest as I bought them from fellow member Bohmer with less than 100 miles on the clock.

My Kleber tyres going into a strange resonance at speed arround 80 km/h. Then they settle down, but remain a little more noisy than oem tyres GoodYear Excellence, with increasing speed.

They made in Polland.

I just got around to fitting Skoda badges to the Caddy hub caps.

I used a 56mm hole saw, which was perfect. Unfortunately the drill slipped slightly off centre from the moulding hole although it's not really noticeale.

Should have done them in the gaarage on the pillar drill instead of on the kitchen table :(

• 2 months later...

Well I took the winter tyres off on Saturday and thus gave the car its first wash since the winters had gone on. So after just ONE wash at the car wash place (where they of course use a jet wash) two of the eBay bought alloy wheels centre caps ejstubbs recommended now look like this:

photo1ir.jpg

photo2xg.jpg

Now in my book that is pathetic quality. I will be taking it up with the supplier. Thankfully I did not glue them in and I just clipped them in so I can easily remove and replace them.

By the way last winter I did 4994 miles on my winter tyres and this winter I did a paltry 852 miles!!! hehehe. Must get out more! But we were working on the house every spare moment so did not go away as much this winter.

• 1 year later...

Johann, my wheel centre cap badges did that too.  As you say, very poor quality.

I have now sourced another set of the Caddy centre caps and a 55mm holesaw, so I'm going to have another go at making some Skoda-badged centre caps.  I've bought another set of the badges from a different eBay vendor.  Unfortunately, now that they've turned up they look suspiciously similar to the previous ones.  However, I'm going to try giving them a couple of coats of the alloy wheel lacquer to see if that offers any useful protection.  Even if they do flake off again, at least I'll be able to replace them easily since they'll just be a push fit, rather than glued in.

I did have a mind to go with the silver winter wheels as well.  I bought all the materials (hence why I have the lacquer) but then decided I really didn't mind black wheels enough to spend the time and effort doing it.  In fact I don't mind black wheels at all, it's SWMBO who complains every time the winters go on.

The upshot is that I have two cans of the silver paint and one can of the lacquer going spare, if anyone in the Edinburgh area can make good use of them.  (They're not easy to post.)

Yes mine is just push through. So should in effext be easy to replace.

As to the silver wheel spray. No matter how many layers you spray and how many layers of lacquer you put on, it can be scratched off with a finger nail. Imagine on a car wheel! Slipping wheel nuts and spanners have all left their mark on my silver wheels. They look fine from afar but far from nice up close with many black scratches alas. So no, invest in having it professionally done and heat dried in a wheel oven. But that costs upwards of £200+ so black it will be for most.

I haven't even got my Yeti yet but sourced winter wheels this week :)

I have a set of 205/55/16 Nokians from my just sold c class Merc, fantastic tyres, they still have 8mm left after 15k ish miles.

I have managed to get a nearly new set of genuine vw 6.5x16 et45 steelies for £69 on eBay so don't mind spending a bit to get a durable and aesthetic finish. Local place is powder coating them in a gunmetal colour for £120 so should end up with a decent looking, durable set for less than the price of a new set.

I'll post some pics when I collect them from coating later this week.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also, although there is lots of great info on here but I am still unsure whether the flatter caps 2k0 601 149 will fit.

This will be my third winter season of using my modified VW T5 caps on my winters and I've never had one come off, although the state of Buckinghamshire roads must rate as some of the worst in the country. They can be made to stay put with a little improvisation. I simply made some extended  nut covers with split plastic plumbing pipe of the appropriate diameter and a generous blob of silicon sealant as adhesive on each nut. All is invisible and they don't shift, it is not very difficult to remove them when it's time for summers. See this post