Black winter wheels finally going silver

Johann, very impressed with your instructions on how to modify the wheel covers to clip Skoda centres into them.

But why have you changed to the Caddy covers rather than the T5 ones that you had previously?

Having lost a brand new T5 cover very soon after first fitting them last year, I had a good look at the wheel bolts for both the Yeti and the T5 and found that the Yeti's bolt head is substantially shorter than that fitted to the T5, so the covers don't clip on properly. Do the Caddy trims fit more firmly than the T5 versions - ie is the Caddy wheel bolt head the same length as the Yeti?

Incidentally, I too have sprayed my steels silver and lacquered them, making them look so much better. Fortunately, I didn't need to do all the masking etc as I sprayed them before fitting the tyres - making the job much easier! :thumbup:

But why have you changed to the Caddy covers rather than the T5 ones that you had previously?

Incidentally, I too have sprayed my steels silver and lacquered them, making them look so much better. Fortunately, I didn't need to do all the masking etc as I sprayed them before fitting the tyres - making the job much easier! :thumbup:

Oh good! More silver steel wheels!!! I look forward to seeing them. I got my set from Bohmer so the tyres were on alas.

I did a post in the winter tyre threads everywhere about these centre caps correcting my misleading earlier statements. My first caps were advertised as T5 caps but were in fact VW Caddy ones since they have the 5x112 stud arrangement. I still have them and will see what to do with them at some point.

I just prefer the look of the smaller ones I modified above.

T5 caps DON'T WORK. They have a 5x120 stud arrangement meaning they just about cling on over the plastic nut covers. Perhaps damaging them in the process? I don't know. But Caddy 5x112 covers fit perfectly over the nuts themselves with your plastic caps staying in the shed/garage with the summer rubber. If you fit T5 covers just over the nuts they tend to fall off over the first speedbump as some people have found.

Though in saying all this Rockhopper still has all four his T5 caps! But then he does not regularly drive over Edinburgh's cobbles where most of the T5 caps on here got lost.

Oh good! More silver steel wheels!!! I look forward to seeing them.

Your wish is my command oh wise one!

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

I made the mistake of rustproofing them in very cold weather with Dinitrol. Once it got (a lot) warmer in late spring, the Dinitrol started to emerge, helped by the heat from the brakes and centrifugal force!

T5 caps DON'T WORK. They have a 5x120 stud arrangement meaning they just about cling on over the plastic nut covers. Perhaps damaging them in the process? I don't know. But Caddy 5x112 covers fit perfectly over the nuts themselves with your plastic caps staying in the shed/garage with the summer rubber. If you fit T5 covers just over the nuts they tend to fall off over the first speedbump as some people have found.

Ah, now all becomes clear. Yup, I found the T5 caps went on far too easily - and came off the same way when i hit a rather deep puddle. I also tried fitting them with a couple of the plastic bolt caps left on, but reckoned that I would damage them, so gave up and ran without the covers in the end. However, I want to protect the open hubs this year, so Caddy covers seem to be the way forward.

Strange that VW make several different pitch 16" wheels though, that all look virtually identical!

Edited by speedsport

Your wish is my command oh wise one!

Strange that VW make several different pitch 16" wheels though, that all look virtually identical!

I like that!!! Just need caps indeed. But it looks sooooo much better than the black ones.

All these near identical wheels are peculiar indeed. Have a look at some of the tons of choices in the websites I list I this tread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/217746-vag-group-steel-and-alloy-wheel-part-numbers-and-specs/

And just to confuse matters further, the name Caddy - which is a van in Europe - appears on a pickup in the USA & South Africa and goes right back to the commercial derivatives of the Mk 1 Golf (geddit... Golf Caddy!) or Rabbit as it was known in the USA.

I'm putting my anorak away now! :giggle:

I got the T5 ones, hopefully a few blobs of clear silicon sealant on bolts and under the cap rim edges should make the difference between them staying on and falling off. One of the full trims I had last year did not survive the shock of a deep pothole, it stayed on but the edge cracked even though the wheel/trye was undamaged.

I had 2 broken T5 ones on Elsie and one of them has fallen off unsurprisingly. I have 2 spare somewhere all ready made up. Just can't remember where the safe place was that I put them. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Now that's a different problem :yes: . Did you try adding anything to aid adhesion? I seem to remember someone on the forum used some blobs silicon sealant as an adhesive on T5's, perhaps I should have researched the old threads better but I saw these for a reasonable price and personally I think they look smarter than the caddy ones. Jeep

Now that's a different problem :yes: . Did you try adding anything to aid adhesion? I seem to remember someone on the forum used some blobs silicon sealant as an adhesive on T5's, perhaps I should have researched the old threads better but I saw these for a reasonable price and personally I think they look smarter than the caddy ones. Jeep

There are TWO types of Caddy caps. The ones I modified above with the five visible bolts and then the T5 lookalike ones as seen here on my car last winter:

swheels.jpg

caddycovers.jpg

154656_458906846323_671901323_5977050_4337657_n.jpg

149274_458906926323_671901323_5977051_2039550_n.jpg

So you can have this more closed, flush look with 5x112 stud clips on the back. Easy way to tell them apart is that the T5 version has 10 dots around the edge and the VW badge in the middle and the Caddy ones have only 9 holes and have the word Volkswagen written out as above.

There are TWO types of Caddy caps. The ones I modified above with the five visible bolts and then the T5 lookalike ones as seen here on my car last winter:

swheels.jpg

caddycovers.jpg

So you can have this more closed, flush look with 5x112 stud clips on the back. Easy way to tell them apart is that the T5 version has 10 dots around the edge and the VW badge in the middle and the Caddy ones have only 9 holes and have the word Volkswagen written out as above.

Remind me of the part number Johann

Remind me of the part number Johann

The with-bolts part number is visible in the photo above: 2KO 601 169

The flush ones I searched high and low and I don't seem to have posted a part number! I will have to check when I get home sorry!

The with-bolts part number is visible in the photo above: 2KO 601 169

The flush ones I searched high and low and I don't seem to have posted a part number! I will have to check when I get home sorry!

Does this mean you still have the flush ones Johann, and if so are you looking to sell...... he said cheekily! :giggle:

Does this mean you still have the flush ones Johann, and if so are you looking to sell...... he said cheekily! :giggle:

Well I can't use ALL of them! And I'm happy with my modified ones so yes you can make me an offer via a PM for these four:

caddycovers.jpg

:giggle:

VW pice list shows

Bolt Type : 2KO 601 169 6B9 as £6.10 + VAT each

Flush Type : 2KO 601 149 xxx as £8.28 + VAT each (sorry last 3 digits missing from my note!)

Currently on eBay, there's an unused set of the bolt type covers for £12.99 + £2 p&p at Caddy Wheel Trims They are "buy it Now, so won't be there for long I guess!

If anyone has a use for any T5 type covers (Not Caddy type) I have 3 "as new" that are now surplus to requirements, having relieved Johann of his spare set of Caddy covers!!

John H

Edited by speedsport

Who stole the wheels off a VW Fox? ;)

THAT photo is why I changed my wheels to be 215/60 7J over the 205/55 6Js as shown in that picture. Look at these pictures showing the two sizes side by side:

2152051.jpg

2152052.jpg

Hi Johann

Just been out and measured the circumference on winter 215/60/16 and 16" moons is approx 1/2 inch larger 25.5 inch than the pirelli 225/50/17 and Annapurnas 25 inch.Probably not dead accurate and an extra 0.2 bar in winters.

They so however look smaller with the smaller wheels.

Also glad I did as discovered hubs still had plastic protection now peeled off... panicked briefly!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Johann

Just been out and measured the circumference on winter 215/60/16 and 16" moons is approx 1/2 inch larger 25.5 inch than the pirelli 225/50/17 and Annapurnas 25 inch.Probably not dead accurate and an extra 0.2 bar in winters.

They so however look smaller with the smaller wheels.

Also glad I did as discovered hubs still had plastic protection now peeled off... panicked briefly!

Cheers

Peter

Instead of actually measuring you can just use a calculator like this:

http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

Original 17" to 215/60:

Specification---Sidewall---Radius---Diameter--Circumference--Revs/Mile--Difference

225/50-17-------4.4in------12.9in-----25.9in----------81.2in-----------780---------0.0%

215/60-16-------5.1in------13.1in-----26.2in----------82.2in-----------771---------1.2%

Original 17" to 205/55:

Specification--Sidewall--Radius--Diameter--Circumference-Revs/Mile--Difference

225/50-17-----4.4in-----12.9in----25.9in---------81.2in-----------780---------0.0%

205/55-16-----4.4in-----12.4in----24.9in---------78.2in-----------811------- minus 3.8%

215/60 to 205/55:

Specification--Sidewall--Radius--Diameter--Circumference-Revs/Mile--Difference

215/60-16------5.1in----13.1in-----26.2in--------82.2in---------771--------0.0%

205/55-16------4.4in----12.4in-----24.9in--------78.2in---------811-------minus 4.9%

Thanks Johann

Looks a bit complicated for a Northern lad like me I just used me mums old 1 yard wooden ruler she used for measuring cloth and if I was going to work all the other stuff use me dads slide rule, e wer s..t hot with that (accountant).

Cheers

Peter :beer:

Thanks Johann

Looks a bit complicated for a Northern lad like me I just used me mums old 1 yard wooden ruler she used for measuring cloth and if I was going to work all the other stuff use me dads slide rule, e wer s..t hot with that (accountant).

Cheers

Peter :beer:

:giggle: :giggle: Love that. All it means is that 215/60 tyres are 1,2% bigger than your car's original wheels/tyres and that the the 205/55s are 3,8% smaller. The difference between the 215/60s and the 205/55s is 4,9% - with the former being bigger.

Running 215/60-16 winters instead of my 225/55-17 original combination last winter, the speedometer became slightly less inaccurate than it was (ie nearer to the correct speed) though still rather optimistic! And the ride became noticably more compliant, absorbing broken road surfaces with less of a thump. The trade off is that the steering is slightly less accurate - some of the postive feel had gone - but it's easy to cope with and I guess most drivers wouldn't notice any difference at all.

Edited by speedsport

So a plan B was needed which is a variation on ejstubbs's excellent suggestion in this thread. I'm not sure why you took your alloy wheel centre's backs off and glued them ejstubbs? They have tabs and if you cut the hole in the Caddy caps the right size they clip through and sit there VERY sturdily and will never fall out. I bought the exact alloy centres that ejstubbs suggested at £8,99 for four from eBay.

Johann

Re the ebay caps, what size does the hole you cut end up?

I thought VW/Skoda alloys had 57mm centres and the ones on ebay seem to be for a 54mm hole!

thanks

tom

will they fit in an standard Audi alloy?

Yes,the caps from ebay are 54mm even though the ad says 58mm. I drilled my caddy caps today,using a 51mm hole saw,and with a bit of trimming, the ebay centres fit nice and snug.