Exhaust required...

Hi there, well my 04 VRS needs a new exhaust system I'd say in the next 6 months. It got an advisory on its last MOT in July as the centre section is corroded and the bracket is completely gone and beyond repair. The rear silencer isn't in the best condition I'm no mechanic but theres some obvious corrosion.

Now my only dilemma with this is insurance. I'm with AXA who will not cover any sort of modification!

I live in an M14 (Manchester) postcode and am not in a position to move for 6 months. At this rate I could end up shelling out an additional £300 just to use an insurer that will cover mods like exhausts. I have tried Adrian Flux (who I used to be with) and Sky and both said they could not quote me! I'm 27, driving nearly 8 years, no points or convictions and I'm a Police driver with some additional courses as well.

If I wasn't in the job I would risk it sticking a Piper exhaust on and leave it at that and hope I don't claim.

My other thought is do any motorfactors suppply OEM systems? I imagine they will be pricey but I'm struggling. Any options even temporary repairs to be considered....

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be having a look on ebay I think.

Liverpool-Lad, the replacement you showed me would an exhaust fitter just weld it in i.e. does it have clamps to fix it in? Never seen one before...

Think I'll be pricing up tomorrow just out of interest. For comedy value!

I've been ringing around I can't find any insurance company to cover me with any sort of modification to my car for less than £600.00 a year more than what I pay now!

So effectively what they are saying is a Skoda system or nothing. So going off that I can't even just get the centre section replaced by an exhaust fitter. How do other people go on with cars? It's crazy. I could just ignore them but in the event of a claim I could be left without valid insurance.

Apologies for the rant.

I don't think I would be bothered by an exhaust, I would probably just put it on and not tell them. It's an exhaust, you need one!

I have seen many people come to our house from insurance companies to check over damage and they basically just look at it, give it a prod and go ok and off they go. I have only known them to go in-depth if it has been a massive crash where it has been through dangerous driving or caused major! damage.

I had a mate once who had a 70mph crash on 50/30mph and they didn't even check the car. Was more concerned about getting him done for speeding.

n556755327_4027658_2714.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I took my car to a garage owned by a friend of a friend. They got it up on the ramps and welded the bracket on the centre section absolutely no problems after cleaning it up.

When they showed it to me they made it clear it will hold for a good while but I should bank on maybe another year or so, there was some visible corrosion on the centre section itself and also on the backbox. For a 2004 car this is to be expected.

My gripe is I had been told the bracket was totally un-repairable...by a reputable garage. So for £30 if I get 6 months out of it that's a result I'll be living somewhere different where I can get insurance on a modified car.

When I get chance I'll get pictures on here...sometimes if you don't know what you are doing it's good to get a second opinion.