Greetings

Finngirl

Hello everyone.

I am an American living in Finland. My husband is Finnish. We inherited his fathers 1998 Octavia. Father in law said it never had an block heater. Is it worth it to have one installed, and how much do they cost? Father in law said he used to just keep a blanket on it when not driving it and used a small portable heater under the hood on a timer. That sounds dangerous to me. I know in Canada they sell electric blankets that go over your cars engine. Wonder if they have that here?

For an older model car, it is in pretty good shape, has a small crack in the windshield we will replace, and it is slightly out of alignment. We will take care of that when we put the winter tires on.

Any feedback on how to keep the engine warm in winter is welcomed!

thank you!

Edited by Finngirl

Hello everyone.

I am an American living in Finland. My husband is Finnish. We inherited his fathers 1998 Octavia. Father in law said it never had an block heater. Is it worth it to have one installed, and how much do they cost? Father in law said he used to just keep a blanket on it when not driving it and used a small portable heater under the hood on a timer. That sounds dangerous to me. I know in Canada they sell electric blankets that go over your cars engine. Wonder if they have that here?

For an older model car, it is in pretty good shape, has a small crack in the windshield we will replace, and it is slightly out of alignment. We will take care of that when we put the winter tires on.

Any feedback on how to keep the engine warm in winter is welcomed!

thank you!

Hello There

I can't answer that question I'm afraid as I am about as mechanically adept as a 3 month old dried grape. Hopefully someone can help you though :)

Hello There

I can't answer that question I'm afraid as I am about as mechanically adept as a 3 month old dried grape. Hopefully someone can help you though :)

Thank you for all your replies, and i think i may take it to the local Skoda dealer to see what heh tnink?

Hiya.

This is an odd query and no mistake by our usual standards. We do have a few other Scandanavian members who may well know more than I do, but I'd be inclined to fit a proper sump heater or block heater yes.

In which context, I'd also think about getting a new sump if you go the sump heater route, because the drain plug thread will be getting quite worn by now. If this sounds like odd advice, note that the sump pan is cast aluminium and not pressed steel.