Federal All Season WS1

k.young

Just bought some Federal all season WS1 (225/45/17 94H XL). I did not go for the full winter tyre as I do about 10,000kms a month and the weather hasn't got bad enough yet.

I know you normally "get what you pay for" and I did get a very good deal on these (74euros each) but I was wondering, have I just wasted my money ????

My sons Fabia I was fitted with 4 new Federal SS731's when he bought it. After 16,000 and 20 months he's just bind them for four Goodyear Vector 4seasons as the feds had all distorted causing wheel imbalance. A friend of mine swapped them over for us, as he has access to tyre changing kit; he commented that the rubber in direct contact with the rim was showing early signs of de-lamination :S

TP

Someone please tell me they will be safer then summer tyres during the winter months, or should I really bin them and buy some Hankooks/Falkens or Kuhmos ??

Hell k.youngGosh doing 10,000km /6,200+miles a month would mean a new set of tyres every 2 and half months for me.

As my front tyres only do 15,000miles before need replacing on my old 2005 Fabia VRS.

Have tried tyres costing £125 each and ones costing £45 each, no difference in mileage, only grip till half worn.

Luckily I only do your monthly mileage in 12 months.emoticon-0148-yes.gifemoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Someone please tell me they will be safer then summer tyres during the winter months, or should I really bin them and buy some Hankooks/Falkens or Kuhmos ??

dont bin them , try them! federals that are genreral road tyres are often slated, but the more track focused tyres (as some in the mark II fabia vRS section have tried and tested, these.. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/595RSR.htm) are always rated very well indeed!

so just have a go, as winter tyres you may find them good :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Got these on today and so far they haven't tried to murder me. Only done about 60kms today but will be doing 500kms tomorrow so should have some useful feedback then.

As a matter of interest, these are listed as "all season" tyres on Eiretyres.ie (Mytyres.co.uk) but they have M+S and snowflake/mountain symbol and are a very well priced full winter tyre for those of us that can't afford "premium" brands.

A set of Federal's nearly killed me once. :thumbdown:

Details?

Terminal understeer on a dry/patchy damp roundabout in my old Audi.

Understeer, backed off, back end shot wide, corrected, front end stepped out, then the back end again. Lucky I didn't roll the car into the kerb!

Got some decent tyres fitted ASAP!

lol.. good on ya... rains a bit over on the emerald isle, how do you find them in the rain? mine are better than my suimmers in bad rain soaked roads, even in 10+c temps.... roll on the cold weather!

I drove a few hundred Kms in bad rain yesterday and I was very pleased with them. I do realise they are for driving in bad conditions and not designed to perform like a summer tyre but they are doing better than expected.

How far is that? I work in real numbers!

Thats 620 of your UK mile thingys.

Damn, I miss Miles. Our cars over here don't even have Miles on the speedo anymore(used to be dual reading)