Fabia vRS MKI fan heater speed control Issue

Hi all,

Got a strange one that started last night....

My fan heater speed control appeared to stop working. The dial turns around fine but the fan does not seem to work. The heat/cold dial also still works and I can feel the temperature change so that seems fine.

The kicker is that if I turn the fan control to '4' that works!

Anyone got any thoughts? Read a few bits about control units but this does not fit the symptoms from what I can tell.

yep thats the bunny

I hope you don't like your knuckle skin as fitting it is a PITA

Be glad yours isn't like mine as well.

I changed the resistor and the control unit and my number 1 position still doesn't work! :(

yep thats the bunny

I hope you don't like your knuckle skin as fitting it is a PITA

Be glad yours isn't like mine as well.

I changed the resistor and the control unit and my number 1 position still doesn't work! :(

Hey, keep that to yourself - I want good vibes.... Mine will all work fine once the resitor pack is changed! :)

Skoda parts - £36.06 not too painfull!

Woah - suppose mine came out of a scrapper but I only paid a few quid for mine. Still going strong on all speeds 1 to 4. :) And as mentioned, it is a wee bit tight to get your hand in there to swap it over :D

Surprised to hear yours just stopped on 1,2,3 right away. Its normally a fairly gradual thing with 1 failing first, 2 a little bit later, 3 not long after, and 4 working all the time because the resistor doesn't do anything for the system. :)

Skoda parts - £36.06 not too painfull!

Given that there's only three resistors in the circuit -that's expensive = £12 per resistor . When they're a lot cheaper than that ,even from Maplin .

Followed this guide; spot on.

Was fairly straight forward to remove - 10 mins. But my word; what an absolute :swear: to get back in! That took me about 30 mins!!!

But all done anyway, I can have cold and heat on whichever setting I like. Luxury! :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

Bit of an old thread but from a search it's a similar issue to what I'm having.

Only diffence being my blower seems to work for just a few seconds when turning the car on but then stops working on all settings

I can also hear a strange knocking noise coming from the passanger footwell area if I listen closely but not sure if it connected although seems to go when blower turned off?

Can anyone tell me if its likely to be the resistor for me before I try changing it?

Cheers

• 10 months later...