To buy or not to buy...

gordz

Currently looking at a 2007 (56) Octavia VRS TDI Estate...

It's done 107k, FSH, 2 previous owners, and in average condition cosmetically, but drives like a car that's done half those miles!

He wants £6195 and will include full MOT and give it a service (but adamant he wont throw in any tax :thumbdown:).

It does have quite a few painted over stone chips on the front and rear (which I suppose is better than open rusting ones, but the slight difference in colour bugs me!), and inside isn't exactly pristine.

So, is £6195 a good price? I know only cosmetic, but those little imperfections makes me a bit unsure. Plus I hate being ripped off!!!

But am I just being picky? :S

I think that if you are already being picky, its not the motor for you. Wait for a better example!

Steve

Well, that's the thing, I've been waiting for one to come up in my area for months!

Has it got FSH?

When he said he'd give it a service, alarm bells would ring in my ears.

I'd swerve this if I were you.

Yeah it's got full service history, Skoda dealer for all but last years service.

Sorry, forgot to state it's a garage selling it, not a private sale!

Is he flexible over the price?

Knocking off a few hundred quid would make it more attractive, but diesel estates are in demand with used car buyers and buyers will travel some distance for the right car.

I sold my last one privately to buyers that travelled about 180 miles each way to view and the same again the follwoing week to collect.

Is he flexible over the price?

Knocking off a few hundred quid would make it more attractive, but diesel estates are in demand with used car buyers and buyers will travel some distance for the right car.

I sold my last one privately to buyers that travelled about 180 miles each way to view and the same again the follwoing week to collect.

He said that he wouldn't go lower than £6195, but I visited today during my lunch break and so couldn't spend long properly haggling etc.

Put off travelling long distance, as I bought my current car from a dealer 50 miles away. And I had to go back 6 times to get problems sorted during the warranty. It was a nightmare!

Currently looking at a 2007 (56) Octavia VRS TDI Estate...

It's done 107k, FSH, 2 previous owners, and in average condition cosmetically, but drives like a car that's done half those miles!

He wants £6195 and will include full MOT and give it a service (but adamant he wont throw in any tax :thumbdown:).

It does have quite a few painted over stone chips on the front and rear (which I suppose is better than open rusting ones, but the slight difference in colour bugs me!), and inside isn't exactly pristine.

So, is £6195 a good price? I know only cosmetic, but those little imperfections makes me a bit unsure. Plus I hate being ripped off!!!

But am I just being picky? :S

56 Plate will have the siemens Injectors. Find out if he's had them replaced yet. Or you will have issues until they are. I have a 56 plate, it's the BMN engine code (Found on the log book)You will get them replaced FOC from Skoda UK, but it'll be a pain until you do. Plus, the car could suddenly cut out at any time and any speed. You may already be aware of this, but if not, http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/197422-vag-170-ps-diesel-injector-failures-vosa-action/ it is a long but interesting read

56 Plate will have the siemens Injectors. Find out if he's had them replaced yet. Or you will have issues until they are. I have a 56 plate, it's the BMN engine code (Found on the log book)You will get them replaced FOC from Skoda UK, but it'll be a pain until you do. Plus, the car could suddenly cut out at any time and any speed. You may already be aware of this, but if not, http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/197422-vag-170-ps-diesel-injector-failures-vosa-action/ it is a long but interesting read

It's had all it's servicing at Skoda main dealer, so surely they'd have been replaced by now? Is there anyway of checking by looking under the bonnet to see if they've been replaced?

Bit worried about this injector issue now, sounds serious!

It isn't an official recall so Skoda aren't automatically replacing them, you have to tell Skoda you want them replacing, unless they fail first.

I was told it was possible to check the part numbers on the injectors without having to remove them but others have said it needs to be done by a dealer.

Either way it's nothing to worry about, if you do buy the car Skoda will replace the injectors free of charge.

I got a 57reg petrol vrs with 74000 full skoda history for £5600 with 18" wheels jumbo box etc for £5600 over 2 months ago,so just keep looking as it took me 6 months ish to find and had to travel over a 100 miles for it.

Edited by 2WSR55PB

I got a 57reg petrol vrs with 74000 full skoda history for £5600 with 18" wheels jumbo box etc for £5600 over 2 months ago,so just keep looking as it took me 6 months ish to find and had to travel over a 100 miles for it.

Aren't the petrol versions always cheaper anyway though?

Yes, by quite a bit. Diesel's demand a premium, by up to £2,000.

I paid £9,500 for this one a few months ago and this was after 6 months of looking. I could have had a similar petrol for £7.5K

(2007 (57), 33,000 miles, full Skoda history, fixed servicing - every 10K, just had cambelt, tie rod ends, discs and pads and four new tyres, xenon headlights, rear parking sensors, curtain airbags, active headrests, auto wipers, private plate - and in the only colour for a vRS!)...

OctaviavRS2.jpg

OctaviavRS3.jpg

Keep looking, the right car will turn up eventually.

Edited by silver1011

Yes, by quite a bit. Diesel's demand a premium, by up to £2,000.

I paid £9,500 for this one a few months ago and this was after 6 months of looking. I could have had a similar petrol for £7.5K

(2007 (57), 33,000 miles, full Skoda history, fixed servicing - every 10K, just had cambelt, tie rod ends, discs and pads and four new tyres, xenon headlights, rear parking sensors, curtain airbags, active headrests, auto wipers, private plate - and in the only colour for a vRS!)...

OctaviavRS2.jpg

OctaviavRS3.jpg

Keep looking, the right car will turn up eventually.

[/q

yes you are right to a point but diesels dont demand a premium of 2k over petrol in the private market.

I did say 'up to' £2000.

What difference does private vs. trade make?

Yes, trade is more expensive but the difference in price between petrol and diesel remains the same.

I do 25,000 miles a year so went for the diesel, if I didn't do the mileage I'd have had the faster petrol and saved myself a heap of cash.

I did say 'up to' £2000.

What difference does private vs. trade make?

Yes, trade is more expensive but the difference in price between petrol and diesel remains the same.

I do 25,000 miles a year so went for the diesel, if I didn't do the mileage I'd have had the faster petrol and saved myself a heap of cash.

bigger mark up and bigger difference in price.you are right in saying diesel cars do fetch better money than petrol but after looking at the private market for a good few months its not 2k trust me or we can agree to dissagree :rofl:

Good heavens, steer clear....far too risky. Remember those piezo injectors that cause huge problems on the 2007 170 hp TDIs....go for a common rail or chose a petrol model, would be my advice.

More info on the injectors here

Edited by ArthurDaley

Good heavens, steer clear....far too risky. Remember those piezo injectors that cause huge problems on the 2007 170 hp TDIs....go for a common rail or chose a petrol model, would be my advice.

More info on the injectors here

If they're being replaced for free now, why worry? Its a pretty solid engine apart from that.