LPG Conversion for VRs

James I

I have been using the wifes VRs today for work, I usually run about in a Yeti 170tdi, the wifes car usually does short journies to wrok and back and sits outside the house!

So after 8 months and only 1700 miles, I took it for a good run, that got me thinking about whether or not the car could have an LPG conversion as it only returned 34 mpg! I get 45 at least with the Yeti.

So can a Fabia 1.4 VRs be converted to LPG

I have been using the wifes VRs today for work, I usually run about in a Yeti 170tdi, the wifes car usually does short journies to wrok and back and sits outside the house!

So after 8 months and only 1700 miles, I took it for a good run, that got me thinking about whether or not the car could have an LPG conversion as it only returned 34 mpg! I get 45 at least with the Yeti.

Almost any petrol car can be run on LPG. I've had 6 or 7 LPG cars, ranging from a 1.6 engine to a 3.0 V6 and a 2.0 turbo. (even had a rover 420 turbo diesel with lpg!)

Only thing you have to consider is, is it worth it? How many miles per year do you do? You will lose 20% mpg on LPG compared to petrol. And then there is the installation cost, usually between £1,000 and £1,500. Depending on your annual mileage, how quickly you will recover this initial cost.

You seem surprised that a barely run-in super and turbo-charged petrol engine has returned worse fuel economy than a diesel.

As far as I know the TSI engines cannot be converted to run LPG because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder like a diesel. The injectors need the liquid fuel to keep them cool, something LPG doesn't do.

You seem surprised that a barely run-in super and turbo-charged petrol engine has returned worse fuel economy than a diesel.

Not surprised as such, but after having diesels for many years now I assumed I would at least get near Skoda's published mpg figures for the 1.4 vrs.