Bought cheap VAGcom cable, need help getting it to work please

davetrousers

Hello all ,I bought a cheap VAGcom cable, off ebay, and am struggling to get it to work.

It came with a mini CD so I (copied it to a USB stick as well as VCDS Lite from Ross Tech) put it on my netbook. I ran the exe file Release4091us.exe which seemed to install a VAGcom programme. When I plug the lead into the computer the usual windows messages pop up about a new device and installing drivers, so I browse for the c:\Program Files\Vag Com folder but it doesn't find the drivers.

When I open VAG-Com Release 409-1 and go to options and select USB and click Test it doesn't work (obviously).

I also installed VCDS Lite, and noticed that this doesn't have a USB option.

Please help, it's getting frustrating, I thought it would be a case of install drivers from disc, then install VCDS Lite and Bob's yer uncle, but no!

Sorry to say mate you buy a cheapo VCDS knockoff cable you take your chances, from the looks of it, if it after installing VCDS lite it doesn't recognise the drivers then its likely to not fully compatible with VCDS. Buy cheap buy twice.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Buy cheap, waste your money! :D Much better getting the real latest USB VCDS cable from a Ross-Tech authorised agent in the UK. These knockoff cables are just pirating the Ross-Tech technology. Version 409.1 is also a really old version of (pre VCDS) vag-com and is probably also a knock-off version. :thumbdown:

Don't think there should be a problem here. 409.1 would work with a generic K or KKL cable but you are better off using VCDS Lite - especially if you are using a newer operating system.

Install the cable using the driver supplied with the cable. This is not a Ross-tech cable so the Ross-tech drivers are not for this cable.

The standard driver for the generic cable will probably install it as a serial port. Take a look in device manager to see which one and then select this port in VCDS-Lite.

Heres a linkto what I bought on ebay.

It comes with a CD that has a folder in it called Drivers, the only .exe file in there is to uninstall the drivers.

By going to Device Manager it shows up in Ports (COM & LPT), so by reinstalling the driver and then browsing to the CD it installs something and in Device Manager it now shows up as USB Serial Port (Com 3. Going to VCDS Lite I select Com 3 and click test and it says Port Status OK, Interface Not found.

What a crock of ....

Thanks

Edited by davetrousers

Heres a linkto what I bought on ebay.

It comes with a CD that has a folder in it called Drivers, the only .exe file in there is to uninstall the drivers.

By going to Device Manager it shows up in Ports (COM & LPT), so by reinstalling the driver and then browsing to the CD it installs something and in Device Manager it now shows up as USB Serial Port (Com 3. Going to VCDS Lite I select Com 3 and click test and it says Port Status OK, Interface Not found.

What a crock of ....

Thanks

Should be OK. Did you have the cable connected to the car with the ignition on? If not, that is likely to be your problem.

The interface in the cable is powered from the car, so it will not be found if the ignition is off. The port will be found, as was the case in OP's post, as this is powered by the computer.

For a licensed cable you need to connect it to the car for the software to see the serial number, which is then stored by the software.

Ok I am in car now with lead plugged in and ignition on and it seems to work!

When I run an Auto Scan it says: (and also says at the end Sorry This function requires VCDS Lite to be registered and activated. Please contact the author or distributor for an activation code):

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1

Saturday, 26 November 2011, 14:20:45.

Chassis Type: 6Y - Skoda Fabia I

Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,25,37,44,46,55,56,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 6Q0-907-37x-ABS.LBL

Controller:

Note: Can't Synch Baud Rate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 6Q0-907-37x-ABS.LBL

Controller: 6Q0 907 379 H

Component: ABS/ASR 5.7 FRONT V20