gearbox says goodnight

joe_m

my gearbox on my mk1 octavia vrs decided it was the end of its life last night, shooting the diff pin through the bell housing :(

so now i have no choice but to replace it, something i would only do with a recon or new unit.

what i was wondering is, what are the difficulties/deiiferences in changing to a 6speed box? is it a straight swap and the linkages all stay the same and i will have a 6th gear for better economy?

any advice would be handy, especially if you have done the swap.

thanks in advance

The sixth gear is the same as fifth on a 5 speed. Only way I could see It working is to use the sixth from a diesel but the problems I can see in that is the extra power needed and that you won't have a proper fifth gear, plus I don't know if its possible.

I think the parts needed would be gear box drive shaft gear selectors.

Don't bother not worth the hassle, i looked into it when my clutch expired and there wasn't really much point,

The 6 speed box has a extra cog but from what i was told they drop other ratios down that much that 5th on your box isn't much differant to 6th on that box,

Altho that was the same reason i was going to do it as they do seem to rev high on motorway,

Just get a second hand vrs box, bet you can get one for 150 quid

The six speed is a multi shaft box having three shafts, 5 speed is two shaft, very different gearbox. The exception to this is the six speed found in some of the Golf GTs with the twin charger engine, think that has the code 02S which is a five speed with an extra cog.

To change to a six you need

Gearbox

Starter motor

Flywheel

Clutch

Mountings

Driveshafts

Clutch pipework inc damper

Bell housing bolts