Snow tyres

thedinger

Hi, folks, thought I'd pass on some info about the snow tyres I have fitted to my Yeti.

Recently spent a few days on marshalling duties on the Roger Albert Clark Rally, Yorkshire & Northumberland.

I have 16 inch steel rims supplied by Bickerton in Sheffield, fitted with Nokian snow tyres, from mytyres.co.uk.

On Monday, we headed into Kershope forest, going into the finish line, about 3 to 4 inches of snow, some frozen slush to make matters even more interesting !! Had to pull up behind the Landie delivering clocks, on a tight uphill hairpin right, all stop. Oops, thought I was going to be in trouble, seeing a small Suzuki of some description spinning all rubber & getting absolutely nowhere. Landie pulled away, didn't make much progress until I guess he locked the diffs. I started to move, a little bit of sideways slip, then away we went, absolutely no problems whatsoever. Great stuff,even better seeing a Disco with serious rubber behind me trying the same move & getting very sideways with very little forward motion. Went into the stage, about 6 inches of snow & had to park up in a place that hadn't had any vehicles over it, but again, no problems getting in or out. I had many folks looking at my choice of rubber, told them the score, so maybe some others will be going the same route. Just to be clear, I have no connection with either Bickerton or mytyres.co.uk other than being a very satisfied customer of both concerns.

Sorry, can't oblige. Not an acceptable practice for Marshals to take photos, we have to leave that for the spectators, although there weren't a huge number out on Monday. Have a look on Youtube for footage of the rally taken on stages 1,3,7 & 8 at Duncome Park near Helmsley. Some good sounds of Steve Perez' Stratos.

Sorry, can't oblige. Not an acceptable practice for Marshals to take photos, we have to leave that for the spectators, although there weren't a huge number out on Monday. Have a look on Youtube for footage of the rally taken on stages 1,3,7 & 8 at Duncome Park near Helmsley. Some good sounds of Steve Perez' Stratos.

It was acceptable when I marshalled on rallies (not races obviously )- done sensibly not at all an issue on most forest rallies. Mind you when I marshalled you felt the whole rally crowd was marsahlling too- cars came off and we'd all rush and get car back on stage.I have to say that my more recent encounters with a minority of tabard clad jobsworths makes me glad I don't have to put up with them too often now.NB - am sure you are not in that minority !

It was acceptable when I marshalled on rallies (not races obviously )- done sensibly not at all an issue on most forest rallies. Mind you when I marshalled you felt the whole rally crowd was marsahlling too- cars came off and we'd all rush and get car back on stage.I have to say that my more recent encounters with a minority of tabard clad jobsworths makes me glad I don't have to put up with them too often now.NB - am sure you are not in that minority !

Do remember that without marshals(who do it at their own expense and time) there would be no rallies. They do have a degree of responsibility for the safety of spectators many of whom take no responsibility for themselves or their own children.

http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/

Marshalls are always welcome although often it can be a thankless task. Biggest problem being irresponsible spectators who will be quick to blame everyone else if anything happens to them.

Such examples are parents pushing children in pushchairs along live stages, parking blocking entries to stages and therefore emergeny vehicle access, standing taking photos/videos in dangerous positions. there are upsides though and some marshalling activities may help in developing ones own career and abilities.

http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/

Marshalls are always welcome although often it can be a thankless task. Biggest problem being irresponsible spectators who will be quick to blame everyone else if anything happens to them.

Such examples are parents pushing children in pushchairs along live stages, parking blocking entries to stages and therefore emergeny vehicle access, standing taking photos/videos in dangerous positions. there are upsides though and some marshalling activities may help in developing ones own career and abilities.

Marshalling very important yes;but biggest problem I used to have was listening to the endless droning of some of the saddos I shared posts with actually. Have experienced all the phenomena above but nothing was as bad as listening to a CSMA member bore for England about everything other than the sport we were watching...

Just a note on the thread title: these tyres are not snow tyres! They are winter tyres. :giggle:

Those tyres are for Central European 'winter' time conditions. They are not real snow/winter tyres as e.g. Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 and Continental VikingContact 5 are. Here in the North we use studded snow tyres.

Edited by Grumpy Finn