Really annoying rattle / vibration

servicepoint

Your all over the place, first you tell me VW is above the Skoda quality wise, you state the price is irrelevant, then you change your horse and tell me they are on par once you realise where you've went with your argument.

Going back to your previous post, I don't need you to tell me to "live with it."

My all over the place what?

No, what I'm saying is that a £30k Skoda is as good as a £7k VW, since you brought price into it.

As I said, take it to the dealer!

I've had a really thorough inspection of the engine bay and can detect nothing loose that could cause the noise. I can hear the noise inside the car but when I move to the engine I can't locate it, I'm now more inclined to think its behind the dash board.

Pretty disappointing really, I was driving the wifes mk6 Golf today, 12600 miles and not a rattle or squeek, this is what I thought I was buying into with the Yeti.

My noise sounded like it was in the car too, hidden behind the dash but it ended up being a brake pipe.....i really do suggest you see your dealer again even though its a bit of a ride out and tell him about the brake pipes on my Yeti....tell them to contact the dealership in Burntwood,Staffs called Autosales, they fixed my Yeti and could guide them.....good luck

Think i have went some way to solving the problem.

The brake reservoir sits on the right (reservoir ? the part with the brake pipes exiting the top behind the battery) I followed them across the back of the engine bay and inserted small blocks of dense black foam behind the pipes at intervals. I trimmed the foam to the exact width so they are not noticable. The section where all the pipes exit the reservoir and are all close together I secured and tightened a nylon cable tie around to take any vibration / movement away. This appears to have cured the noise for now anyway, if it comes back I know its not the brake pipes, well not the visable ones.

fugly, thanks I will bear this in mind should I have to go to the dealer.

Edited by servicepoint

I should have taken a photograph of this.

The proble lay with the brake pipe that routes under the battery, it changes from a metal pipe to a rubber one about half way along although you won't see this part. The rubber pipe then attaches to the pump at the front of the engine bay approx half way between the passenger side headlight and the bonnet lock.

To reach the pipe and secure, you have to remove the battery and then the battery tray underneath, the tray is secured with 3 bolts and 1 allan screw, the tray has also a push rubber mount that has to be separated by pulling off. The tray has to be positioned correctly to remove but once out the brake pipe is visable. I found the pipe was not in its holder however even after inserting it to the holder there was still some movement further down the pipe nearer the front. When I was moving it by hand it was tapping against the metal of the body. I could not see this area as it was below what looked like an engine mount so I wrapped this area with insulating tape and then secured the front end of the pipe (rubber side) with a cable tie off the thick earth cable thustaking up any movement.

The plastic pipe holders for the brake pipes are not great and I would imagine the pipes could easily jump out as one of mine obviously has so I also put a cable tie around each of these to prevent them jumping out in future.

A pretty poor route for the brake pipe to take especially if no measure is taken to prevent the movement and vibration, this is something Skoda should be looking at during the build

On re-connecting the battery the TCS and power steering warning lights, both yellow. I drove the car and within 20-30meters both went out.