Warm up procedure

Short and simple, what is your warm up procedure?

Was talking to a mate the other day and he was saying how fun it is giving his car some stick on the way to work once its warm, but he works 5.0 miles away and takes 10-13 mins. I dont think in that time a fabia vRS is warm enough to spank it.

I`m pretty cautious warming mine up, my trip to work is 5 mins of short roads and roundabouts, 5 min A5 duel carriageway then 60mph roads with lots of roundabouts. I tend to start the car, let it tick over for 30 - 60 seconds then not take it past 2000 - 2500 rpm or use WOT for the whole journey pretty much, sometimes i`ll take it up to 3000 rpm in the last few mins. I really want to sort a oil temp gauge so i`ll know for sure when its up to temperature as oppose to just guessing using the water temperature.

Whats yours?

You are meant to drive them as soon as you start them up.

You would be amazed at the oil temp once the water is up to 90c! I have got to work some days when its really cold (20miles down a motorway) and the oil only gets to around 70-75 instead of normal operating temp of around 95.

You are meant to drive them as soon as you start them up.

You would be amazed at the oil temp once the water is up to 90c! I have got to work some days when its really cold (20miles down a motorway) and the oil only gets to around 70-75 instead of normal operating temp of around 95.

Any mechanic I've ever spoke to say its very important to let them sit for at least 30 seconds before driving off. Think of your body having to immediately get up and sprint away somewhere or Bench 100kg before warming up. Not good l

I never had any theory behind waiting a min before driving, just something i`v always done :rofl:

The oil temp is my reason for being so cautious, even on my mates MK2 it takes a fair old amount of time to get the oil to temp, and thats on a hot running petrol engine, the old diesel lump takes a fair old while to get warm.

Any mechanic I've ever spoke to say its very important to let them sit for at least 30 seconds before driving off. Think of your body having to immediately get up and sprint away somewhere or Bench 100kg before warming up. Not good l

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-2.html

It is not recommended to let the TDI engine idle for extended periods of time. Aside from wasting fuel, causing unnecessary emissions, and not accomplishing anything (the engine won't warm up at idle anyway), the turbocharger depends on having a certain minimum level of boost pressure to maintain the condition of the seals. Extended periods of idling may cause a certain amount of oil consumption, and the oil consumption may clog the catalytic converter. Some owners who have let their engine idle for a long time report the engine running poorly for some time afterward. And no, you don't need to worry about what's going to happen if you get stuck in a traffic jam now and again, it's not THAT serious. Just don't start the engine 20 minutes before you want to leave in the morning every day, in the false hope of having a warm interior.

From the handbook:

Never warm up the engine when the vehicle is standing. Drive off right away. Through this the engine reaches its operating temperature more rapidly and the pollutant emissions are lower.

Apparently its due to the oil pump not being able to deliver the proper lubrication to the top end at idle when cold

Start it and drive straight away, just a steady drive until it's up to temp (90c) and generally wait a while longer before giving it any beans if I'm in the mood lol

If it's been a spirited drive home I generally let it idle for about 15 secs before switching off.

I wouldnt idle for extended periods of time don't get me wrong, a minute max before starting and stoppIng and then everything else is that what cant be avoid as you said about traffic and stuff. The only reason I do so is I believe it's good for the turbo not to have a warm interior lol :D they diesels are so thermally efficient they won't heat up on idle there's a vid on YouTube of a cold start and from idle sometime later the temp needle hasn't moved at all. I personally feel the car alot smoother when driving off cold when I let it idle for a minute could be placebo lol

The reason to idle before switching off Is that at high temps the oil vapour settles on the turbo bearings and crystallises and erodes them away over time if the oil is allowed to cool for a mintute before switching off this won't happen. Just take it steady the last few mile :) or so I've read lol

I've always just started the car, waited 5-15seconds for the oil to start circulating and gone. By the time I've left town it's been warm for a good few minutes, so should be OK to drive properly anyway.

Shutting down - I have to drive through town to get home, so there's no use for power, so I just shut it off straight away as the traffic will have cooled it enough.

Jump in, start up, 5 seconds or so while I roll off the driveway, then use very little throttle and don't go above about 2250 rpm. I'm straight onto the motorway within about a mile anyway, so once I get on there it soon warms up assuming traffic is flowing, keeping it cruising in either 5th or 6th so the rpm is still around 2250 (which is 70 in 6th). Then by the time I get to the other end of my journey it's about a mile of dual carriageway and usually about 18 minutes of driving so it's warm enough to put my foot down as little bit if it's clear. Could do with an oil temp gauge really, but I'm not in a position to boot it.from cold anyway so I just treat it sensibly.

Short and simple, what is your warm up procedure?

Was talking to a mate the other day and he was saying how fun it is giving his car some stick on the way to work once its warm, but he works 5.0 miles away and takes 10-13 mins. I dont think in that time a fabia vRS is warm enough to spank it.

I`m pretty cautious warming mine up, my trip to work is 5 mins of short roads and roundabouts, 5 min A5 duel carriageway then 60mph roads with lots of roundabouts. I tend to start the car, let it tick over for 30 - 60 seconds then not take it past 2000 - 2500 rpm or use WOT for the whole journey pretty much, sometimes i`ll take it up to 3000 rpm in the last few mins. I really want to sort a oil temp gauge so i`ll know for sure when its up to temperature as oppose to just guessing using the water temperature.

Whats yours?

It's not a petrol turbo. Exhaust gasses under load aren't as hot. Whilst some mechanical sympathy is advisable, don't go driving like Miss Daisy.

J.

After speaking to many mechanics and experts, they have always said never underestimate the importance of letting the car tick down after ANY RUN! And let the car idle. This is espically important with a turbocharged car. For example letting the car idle down is a great way of letting the turbo naturally spin down and cool. A great habbit to get into.