Radiator Replaced on vRS

drcarlos

I replaced the leaky (standard bottom left corner leak) rad over the weekend and thought I'd share what I found.

I used this rad from ebay and it fits a treat and was delivered quickly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270838672749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1650wt_1163

Tools needed are T20, T25 and T30 (ideally you would use the spline tool but I didn't have one) and a couple of screw drivers.

1. It can be done without going to the lengths of removing the entire front panel of the car. You need to remove the undertray, bumper and slam panel.

2. Budget to replace the heat temperature sender connector as the wires leading into it will invariably have been worn away by the fan and be broken (poor design).

3. Remove the fans before you undo the rad mounting bolts.

4. Remove the two 90 degree elbows before unbolting the radiator assembly (you will need the room to access the AC rad mounting bolts).

5. When the radiator assembly is unbolted you will have just enough access to get to the AC rad mounting bolts to undo them.

6. Cable tie the to AC metal pipe to the top of the front bulk head to support the AC rad (especially during reassembly).

7. Bolt the fan cowling to the new rad before putting it back in as it give some thing decent to grip on.

8. Remove the fan connector holder from the fan cowling before putting the assembly back.

9. Slide the new rad under the car and up from underneath (the old one should have been dropped out and onto the ground).

10. Attach the AC rad to the main rad and then remove the cable tie, the pair of rad will then slot nicely into the locating lugs.

The Fabia seems to bleed fairly easily and running the car at idle had removed 90% of the air from the system, a short journey of 10 miles removed the rest up only a max to min drop on the coolant bottle.

Mainly the job is just disassembly and reassembly and can be done in about 3 hours with basic tools and jacks.

Total cost was £39 for the rad, £5 for an extra 1l of coolant (I drained and reused the old stuff but you usually lose some) and £5 for electrical connectors to re-make the sender wiring loom. So £49 all in and the rad is brand spankers and should be good for another 90k.

Carl.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I'm pretty certain my rad is leaking but the ac rad is wet through with coolant

Are you sure it's not just condensation on the AC rad?

Nice write up there drcarlos. Very informative. I too was in exactly the same position as you a couple of weeks ago and heard the usual " the whole front ends gotta come off " stories. I got a price of £125 all in off the vw/audi/skoda mechanic I use, so I let him crack on with it. I thought this was more than reasonable and he's done them loads of times so he knows what he's doing. Saved me pratting around on the drive. Cant get into my garage for kids bikes :yawn:

• 2 years later...

Reviving this topic as my rad started leaking from the bottom and I'm in the process of replacing it now. There appears to be a lot of rads out there for this make/model so I just hope i have the right one, manual gearbox and AC.

Its a bit*h of a job I would say, working on the drive which is on a slope so i cant use a jack, got to the point where I am was going to undo the fan tray but could not see the last bolt on the bottom by the elbows as there is a bunch of electrical connectors in the way arghhhhhh!

So I removed the rad bolts and pushed the rads back but the clearance is just to tight to get my spline driver on the heads and put pressure on the back of the tool to stop it slipping out. 

I did need the car for sunday but not sure if thats possible now, anyhow I am doing a video of this so will see ho it goes....