octavia mk2 rust problems

There shouldnt be any rust on a mk2 octavia unless it has been badly painted due to accident damage or a stone chip left not touched up.I have only heard of one case of rust on the tailgate & that had started due to some numpty drilling into the tailgate to fit the number plates & leaving bare metal to rust. :)

There shouldnt be any rust on a mk2 octavia unless it has been badly painted due to accident damage or a stone chip left not touched up.I have only heard of one case of rust on the tailgate & that had started due to some numpty drilling into the tailgate to fit the number plates & leaving bare metal to rust. :)

+1. They seem pretty resistant to rust even where the paint is damaged. If you are looking for it, look where water will pool or where damage is likely. Bonnet, sills, around the windows, under the tail (vrs) door edges.

The only place I know of that has had a few cases of rusting was the crease on the bootlid. I had the bootlid replaced on my last Vrs under warranty due to a crack forming in the crease and rusting from inside out there have also been a few other members affected with this issue too. My vrs was 2 years old when it happened, so far on my current Vrs I have no issues with paintwork.

I've had my Mk 2 Octavia painted twice by Brooklands body shop Lincoln under warranty having taken my Octavia Estate (55 reg) to Horton's across the road and them contacting Skoda to authorise the work. I first had the tailgate done and the offside rear door in 2008 and the rust came back, it was done again in the same place this year. The rust was initially (in 2008)on the edges of the tailgate where the lip is on both sides, the rear door was a bubble on the lower panel. The rust this time came back in the same place on the door and on the tailgate underneath where the two numberplate lights are situated. I spoke with the gent who did the car this time at Brooklands and he tells me this is not an uncommon place for the Octavia to rust.He did say Golfs and Audi A4s and A3s are prone to this as well.

Hope this helps Monkster.

Look at fronts of the sills, as the drain channels from the front screen run down here and out. Debris such as leaves can block this up and if not cleared can lead to the area being damp all year, which can cause rust.

This isn't just the MK II, but most of the VAG cars of recent years that I can think of.