1.4TSi vRS what upgrades have you got?

I bought my 2010 1.4TSi vRS last week and i am wondering who has done what to there 1.4TSi vRS and what have they noticed since doing so?

I think the power and delivery is adequate for day to day driving and the odd back lane thrash, if i wanted to do a few track days i then might get a REVO stage 1 remap but i am not sure it would be beneficial for just day to day driving.

Suspension upgrades are useful for all types of driving, so what have you got and how does it compare to stock?

Air filters these too can be a cheap beneficial upgrade from standard, sometimes improving fuel consumption and drivability as the engine can breathe more easily, i have been looking at the REVO Performance filter, who has fitted one and what gains have you noticed if any?

Exhaust systems these can give increased power gains as well as unleashing some beautiful noise (not the 4" type you see on a kids 1.0L nova) i have found some for the polo 1.4TSi but not for the Fabia 1.4TSi vRS, has any one fitted an aftermarket exhaust system yet? and if so which one? and what have you noticed?

Does fitting an aftermarket exhaust then require a remap and if so it would it have to be a custom remap rather than a generic, to take the exhaust into account.

As i understand it, the more air you can get in the better as long as you then can get the exhaust gases out quicker with less obstructions.

I am in the process of fitting replacement Osram nightbreaker plus H7 bulbs as my first mod...

Is there anything else you think needs upgrading? Apart from the WIFE!

I changed to a Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear antiroll bar on my Impreza GB270 and it was money well spent as it conrnered as if it was on rails, not to sure if there is a antiroll bar upgrade on the 1.4TSi vRS?

Tell us of your upgrades, good or bad..... :thumbup:

no doubt il get some abuse for this but i had the front silncer removed and a custom made straight pipe fitted and it sounds brilliant......only cost £50quid which is alot cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust and makes a nice brrp noise on gear changes and pops on down revs

Revo stage 1 re-map & filter. B)

Only realised today that putting your foot RIGHT down from 40mph UPHILL causes wheelspin and a little torquesteer :giggle:

Hi JB, i have read your post and congratulations on having the balls to get upgrades fitted on a new car, as i know a lot of people avoid modding like the plague due to fears of reliabilty, insurance prices and warranty's being voided.

I fancy them H&R springs not for the lowering but because you comment on the ride factor being vastly improved, can you sum up the transformation?

Nice 1 mate! :thumbup:

no doubt il get some abuse for this but i had the front silncer removed and a custom made straight pipe fitted and it sounds brilliant......only cost £50quid which is alot cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust and makes a nice brrp noise on gear changes and pops on down revs

Get a video up mate

sounds interesting... did a local exhaust place do this for you?

Interesting, looking forward to hearing it, when you get chance to upload a video. Where did you get it from?

forgot to add i have a revo filter fitted and not really noticed any diffrence what so ever but that might just be me

I am sure your engine is breathing better, has your MPG increased or have you not noticed any difference?

Sos motorsport done it(tuning garage near me) tempted to go their for a remap aswell(sedox).

Yep think it, is sounds a wee bit more gruntier cant say iv noticed any mpg diffrence as i gave up trying to track that and im not the most economical driver however i have noticed that manual uses less fuel than automatic in my opinion.

I had a crappy universal thing on it that i had on my polo 6r for a few days and it sounded awsome untill it started to produce a high pitch metallic grinding noise it was then swiftly removed and the revo purchsed and its been fine ever since:)

Hi JB, i have read your post and congratulations on having the balls to get upgrades fitted on a new car, as i know a lot of people avoid modding like the plague due to fears of reliabilty, insurance prices and warranty's being voided.

I fancy them H&R springs not for the lowering but because you comment on the ride factor being vastly improved, can you sum up the transformation?

Nice 1 mate! :thumbup:

The standard setup was really unforgiving in my mind. Driving from the dealer to Awesome in Manchester, I had the opportunity to test different types of road surface.

A roads and Motorwats were all fine, it was when there were rough sections in any road (typically everywhere) the car felt rock solid. It was then I thought that the lowering would be a BIG mistake, as you really expect the car to be a little 'firmer'.

When they did the car and I drove it for a test, I was amazed by the way it felt. It was almost like the dampers had been replaced as well, it just feels more comfortable and composed. I'm very impressed with them.

I have had Eibachs 3 times in the past and really liked them, but these are very impressive. Not that I'm an expert, but have 20 years of driving behind me so I expect that counts for something.

Sos motorsport done it(tuning garage near me) tempted to go their for a remap aswell(sedox).

Yep think it, is sounds a wee bit more gruntier cant say iv noticed any mpg difference as i gave up trying to track that and im not the most economical driver however i have noticed that manual uses less fuel than automatic in my opinion.

I too do not drive a car with economy in mind, as i would have not chosen a vRS if economy was high on my list. But what i would say is for a hot hatch the fuel economy is not too bad, my subaru GB270 never knew the meaning of fuel economy even driving it as gentle as one could, prior to that i had a nissan 350Z, so compared to the previous 2 cars the vRS is like a Prius in comparison, lol.

Edited by GazofCorra

The standard setup was really unforgiving in my mind. Driving from the dealer to Awesome in Manchester, I had the opportunity to test different types of road surface.

A roads and Motorwats were all fine, it was when there were rough sections in any road (typically everywhere) the car felt rock solid. It was then I thought that the lowering would be a BIG mistake, as you really expect the car to be a little 'firmer'.

When they did the car and I drove it for a test, I was amazed by the way it felt. It was almost like the dampers had been replaced as well, it just feels more comfortable and composed. I'm very impressed with them.

I have had Eibachs 3 times in the past and really liked them, but these are very impressive. Not that I'm an expert, but have 20 years of driving behind me so I expect that counts for something.

I would have thought that lowering would be a big mistake too, but i am glad to hear that it has increased ride comfort as this is one area the vRS needs to be looked at and i am sure it handles a bit better too when pushed.

And just to say before someone posts (you cannot have ride comfort and sporty handling together) yes you can my subaru GB270 had a firm but very forgiving ride, unlike the vRS which is firm and uncomfortable.

You are an expert in some sense that you have had 3 lots of suspension upgrades on other cars, so you know more than someone who has never had there suspension modded and i might get my vRS fitted with the H&R springs from awesome as i believe you paid around £330 including fitting and 4 wheel alignment, not a bad price at all.

Cheers matey.

On alot of mark I's with springs alone, the dampers get ruined, and they start bouncing all over the place (for example a 200+bhp mark 1 was mullered by my old grande punto (165bhp) just because I could put the power down and he struggled in every corner, and every acceleration zone, following him it lookes SO bouncy and all over the place it was unreal!) I have heard it happens on many mark I's with springs alone... the dampers are simply chosen to work with a different spring rate, and wear out very fast!

They (springs alone) always reduce body roll, and lower center of gravity and immediatly give a better "feel" , but I would be interested to see the state of the dampers after a few thousand miles....

I could be COMPLETELY wrong, and would be happy to accept it, but thats what I have seen with mark 1's....

keep updating us :)

edit : jonny boy, your car certainly looks better, better stance, wheels fill the arches better....

The biggest problem engine wise with the 1.4TSI and is a large contributor to its misfire issues, is the fact that this engine runs at very very high engine temperatures even at stock.

I think if your after power and you want to do it safely on this car you need to sort out the temperature issues first.

More heat = less power and lower reliability.

Less heat = more power and higher reliability.

This is what my upgrade list in the order i would perform them in hindsight:

- NGK BKR7EIX Spark plugs regapped to 0.65mm.

- Intercooler (HG or Forge)or better still the Pace Products Intercooler & Radiator package.

- Motul 300V 5W-40 oil which doesnt burn off as fast, and can handle oil temps of 145degC before breaking down.

- Heat wrap downpipe.

Now its ready for power mods

- Stage 1 Remap (Shark, REVO, APR, MRC)

- ITG Maxogen intake

Then if you want more

Stage 2 remap

- Performance downpipe and sports cat.

Haven't started on the handling side of the mods yet, as i'm waiting for the market to open up a bit more because im after a few different options to the norm which i'm investigating now.

But it definitely requires better springs/dampers and coilovers, engine mounts, adjustable top mounts or lower control arms, better brakes, and anti roll bars.

Have a look on this forum, theres a multitude of threads purely dedicated to tuning the 1.4TSI and PQ24/25 chassis and nothing else >>>CLICK ME<<<

lots of unecessary plastic in the engine bay of the fabia, surely simply removing things like the battery housing, supercharging sound dampening etc etc will give a lighter, and cooler engine bay.

See my post re bushes...linky...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/200949-upgrade-the-bushes/

defo do the bushes first as this gets the suspension moving properly (console bush and rear axle main pivot).....then if you can't afford coilovers get a set of uprated dampers first (i run Koni FSD's and highly recommend them). As for brakes fit Goodridge stainless steel braided hoses first and a good high temp fluid (high wet temp). Then fit better discs and pads (same size etc). None of these mods will affect your insurance as they are the same size as the OEM (just better componets).....well they havn't affected mine or my mates.... :giggle:

Well mine might only have been a 1.2 TSi estate but would NOT recommend just fitting Bilstien springs alone.

They totally ruined the handling - went from being quite firm and a bit uncomfortable to firmer and very VERY crashy. Made the car a bit nasty to drive.

I`ve got the same springs with Koni shocks on the Polo saloon and its totally different, much nicer to drive - "sporty" (yes I know its an SDi so it would never really be considered fast) without being crashy.

If its a vRS hatch, haven`t some people removed the 25kgs of ballast weights attached to the rear crash bar as well?