Columbus HDD seems to ignore sub folders when listing MP3's?

I've loaded about 2500 MP3 files onto the HDD of my Columbus unit but I've noticed that the file structure I have used (Artist > Album Name > MP3 tracks) doesn't seem to be recognised properly. The Columbus unit lists the MP3's as Artist > MP3 tracks, so the albums are jumbled up and they play out of sequence rather than by album order. I can't see a way to correct this, anyone else noticed this on their unit? The only solution I can see is to reorganise the folder structure as Artist+Album Name > MP3 tracks.

I have always used Album Artist then under each have a folder. You need to have each albums tracks in a separate folder as well the artist.

Thanks, Album > Artist > Tracks > MP3's? I've tried to keep the same folder structure that I use for WinAmp on my laptop but it seems it isn't possible which is a big shame.

I have my files arranged under blocks of alphabetic letters first (e.g. A-G) then by Artists Name and then Album Name (which is where the MP3 files for that album / artist live.

This really isn't much different to yours I think.

Have you looked at the folder structure on the Columbus to see if you have copied the MP3 files into the right place? I know that I had a few problems initially getting mine into the place I wanted / expected them to be.

I have my files arranged under blocks of alphabetic letters first (e.g. A-G) then by Artists Name and then Album Name (which is where the MP3 files for that album / artist live.

This really isn't much different to yours I think.

Have you looked at the folder structure on the Columbus to see if you have copied the MP3 files into the right place? I know that I had a few problems initially getting mine into the place I wanted / expected them to be.

Thanks, yes I had to move the folders to be in the right place at first but I soon got the hang of that. OK, so you have A to Z > Artist > Album > MP3's. Which, apart from the A to Z folders, is the same as I have. I am surprised the Columbus sees a difference there, a computer would be fine with both yours and mine and would see them as the same thing other than one folder layer different. I suspect Columbus is running a Linux port?

But linux is way,way faster than windoze for example on the same hardware.

Anyway, we digress.

You might get more people helping if you post in the ICE Security & insurance section, which covers the Columbus and all other non superb questions to do with ICE.

But linux is way,way faster than windoze for example on the same hardware.

Anyway, we digress.

You might get more people helping if you post in the ICE Security & insurance section, which covers the Columbus and all other non superb questions to do with ICE.

Thanks, I never thought of using the ICE section. Yes, a digression but I don't share your experience of Linux (Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu) running quicker than Windoze on the same hardware. Thanks again.

Thanks, I never thought of using the ICE section. Yes, a digression but I don't share your experience of Linux (Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu) running quicker than Windoze on the same hardware. Thanks again.

OSX (BSD Linux) runs faster than windows on my MacBook Pro.

OK, so you have A to Z > Artist > Album > MP3's. Which, apart from the A to Z folders, is the same as I have. I am surprised the Columbus sees a difference there, a computer would be fine with both yours and mine and would see them as the same thing other than one folder layer different.

That was my point - they should both have been fine!

Another thought. There is a 'shuffle' mode on the Columbus which will either randomise the order of tracks in the current folder or from the entire catalogue (I think). Have you checked to see if this is activated permanently in the settings?

That was my point - they should both have been fine!

Another thought. There is a 'shuffle' mode on the Columbus which will either randomise the order of tracks in the current folder or from the entire catalogue (I think). Have you checked to see if this is activated permanently in the settings?

I wondered about that but I couldn't see anything obvious when I looked earlier today. Besides, the Columbus simply doesn't display the "Album" folder it just displays all the MP3 tracks under the "Artist" folder. So, it displays three track number "1's, 2's, 3's etc" if there's three albums for an artist for example. I have found that the exact same file structure on an SDHC card displays perfectly, how you'd expect. I'm just going to use the SDHC card now in preference to the HDD. Cheers.

What software / firmware version are you using?

It could possibly be that it needs to be reinstalled, but I am no expert in this matter so don't take my advice as being 'good' advice, and a more recent firmware used.

Hope you get it sorted.