proof that 99 ron massively outperforms 95 Ron

vRSy

I fail to understand how using 95 RON fuel - which is approved, and has to be - could in any way cause any kind of damage whatsoever. The piezo knock sensor simply retards the ignition under load to avoid knock, which is the whole point.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You miss the point we're making - the 98ron run cars will run better and get better mpg. That's all! :) They will, as you say run perfectly well on 95ron but if they say it'll run better on 98ron you be stupid not to use it :thumbup:

You miss the point we're making - the 98ron run cars will run better and get better mpg. That's all! :) They will, as you say run perfectly well on 95ron but if they say it'll run better on 98ron you be stupid not to use it :thumbup:

Not sure if that was in reply to me, but FWIW I was commenting on Jordo's comment above "If I went to buy any performance car second hand, be it a VRS or a Porsche, if the owner told me he always used 95RON I would not touch it!".

Having read what I think is enough to make an informed opinion, it seems to me that 98 RON is indeed the 'correct' fuel to use for basically any forced induction motor if you're worried about performance - 95 RON will probably reduce engine power (compared to that claimed) and if driven hard(ish) will probably return lower MPG too. So basically I'm agreeing with you :)

Many moons ago I had an Octavia 1.8T which always felt slower than claimed, I now wonder how much difference 98 RON would have made.