Removing Rear Weights - MK2 Fabia vRS TSi Hatch **GUIDE**

VRS-Powered

• 1 month later...

You have the weights, put them on a set of scales.

They were only there to make the Unladen Weight 5 kg heavier than the Estate so the hatch was not a lower VED class.

As it was and is, with the weights on the Hatch was lighter than the Polo GTI which had a lower VED. (Battery in Boot but Spare wheel an option.)

The weights at the rear make the front go light under acceleration which is some crap technology from a VW Group Manufacturer.

Adding Weight instead of the correct suspension was some joke.  Not very 'Green' in the days where every other manufacturer was looking for make vehicles lighter.

The Longer heavier Estate gets stronger real springs.

Testing, Designing, Type Approving, Manufacturing and supplying 25kg of ballast and fasteners could not have been cheap, (did they Type Approve?)

certainly not as cheap as fitting the correct rear suspension.

(& and owners paid a higher VED class. At least in 2013 SEAT gave the same Co2 / g/km as VW & Audi and a lower tax band when they fitted a CTHE even though the car was heavier still than the vRS Hatch.)

Edited by Offski

Really noticed last night overtaking in manual uphill, car pulled a bit too left.

Checked tyre tread printout from service August 2016 (pre mods) and Left Front (Passenger) was 5.7 and Right (Driver) was 6.3.

Both are probably less now. I think need to think about some handling & brake upgrades. Car is so torque-y now.

What tyres are fitted.  Torque steer can be fixed with good tyres, even with standard suspension.

If using 205/40 R 17's still maybe when getting new go 215/40 R 17,  even if on the front pair first.

(& it is not illegal or against the Insurance or any such thing, even Audi give an option of bigger fronts than rears on some models.)

I have 4 x Dunlop SP Maxx 205/40 R17, 

I picked these as it has WET rating of A (Excellent stopping distance) Fuel (F) Poor

Now when I change option on ATS website to 215/40 R17 Wet rating drops to © Average, Fuel improves to © Average

Strange, I would have though wider tyre would be more grip.

Sorry for going off topic!

I love Dunlop Sport Maxx, i have run many on 205 & 215 in the warm summers, wrecked plenty as well.

I have lots in my shed for nice days.

Many hate them, forget all that rating stuff, they either work good in damp or wet or not & with a twincharger many do not.

Do not over inflated Dunlop Sport Maxx or you will notice Torque Steer.

Always inspect them, the sidewalls are easily wrecked, and the rears go out of shape easily.

PS

215/40 R 17 does not always mean more rubber on the road, just wider sidewall to sidewall.

Look at Pirelli Zero Nero in 205/40 R 17 next to Sport Maxx in 205/40 R 17.  The Dunlop has more tread on the road.

The Pirelli has strong sidewalls, they last better than Sport Maxx, 

The TC light will flash more in the damp they are pretty crap Pirelli's.

(Skoda fit them when owners complain of pulling to the left because the Pirellis disguise it.)

I have Pirelli Zero Nero in 215/40 R 17. So much better than the 205/40 R 17 in my experience. Fitted for a while because a loved one was wrecking tyres more than i was.

I have done lots of trial and error, tyres are not just black round rubber things. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Yep had the TC light on especially in manual and S, not so much in D,

Clipped kerb at 5mph and got bubble sidewall in Dunlop so yes have wrecked one myself.

Rears are on 4.5, so I should move the Dunlops to the rear and buy some Pirellis to front then , slightly bigger.

Whats good PSI for Dunlops at moment I inflate them all to 36psi

I would put the Dunlops to 33psi and see how the Torque Steer is.

I gave up wasting money on everyday running tyre and now have fitted TIGAR Syneris Tyres from ATS.

Under £60 fitted, almost indestructible, correct Load & Speed rating, not ditch finder.

(Michelin own the TIGAR Tyre Factory.)

I have plenty of pairs of tyres on wheels for Fun Days, & Maxxis AP2's for Snowy / Icy Wet fun days.

I carry 2 Spares that match for trips so not caught out when Directional Tyres are on a car i am using.

Tigar are 205/40 R 17 £52 fitted.

Maxxis AP2 are 215/40 R 17, sidewalls not strong, very good in Cold, Snow, Wet etc, pretty good in the warm actually. Much Cheapness.

post-86161-0-96025500-1482074087_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-98634300-1482074140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1