Gentex Auto dimmimg mirror

jonny boy

Just fitted one of these to replace the original and it is very good indeed. It came with the conversion needed for the VW group windscreen mount.

Earthed easily to the roof under the interior light and then routed around the llining to the fusebox for a tap to ignition. Well recommended :thumbup:

1325003202[/url]' post='2623638']

Just fitted one of these to replace the original and it is very good indeed. It came with the conversion needed for the VW group windscreen mount.

Earthed easily to the roof under the interior light and then routed around the llining to the fusebox for a tap to ignition. Well recommended :thumbup:

Any pics and run through to fit

Any pics and run through to fit

Sorry, did it between foul weather here, so didn't have the extra time for a step by step.

First remove the negative lead from the battery.

Twist the OE mirror anti-clockwise to release it from the mount.

If the mirror breaks away from the neck, grasp the neck and twist it the same way.

This leaves the 'button' that is adhered to the windscreen.

There is a copper coloured converter that slides into the Gentex mirror for VW group cars.

Note - there is a screw on the neck of the Gentex mirror that has to be unscrewed before sliding it on.

Fit the Gentex mirror in the reverse way to the OE removal, then tighten the screw underneath.

The interior light cluster can now be removed.

First remove the lens for the light. It simply unclips from the front (windscreen)

You can now see the bulbs. Next to the 5W5 bulbs are the philips screws that hold the cluster to the roof.

Once the screws are removed, the cluster can be 'popped' out of the roof easily.

It is held by the harness plug. Unclip the plug and safely store the cluster.

You can now see 4 holes in the roof steel. Use 1 of these vacant holes for the earth wire. Scratch the paint off for good contact.

Attach the earth lead with a 3mm self tapper. The earth lead pushes under the roof lining at the front (windscreen) and threads through to the interior. You'll have to shorten the lead as it is about 6ft long.

It's time to connect the positive lead to a switched ignition source. I used the cigarette lighter at the fuse box. When the ignition is switched on it will supply power to the mirror. The mirror has an 'on/off' switch to do this manually if needs be.

The green light will illuminate on the Gentex mirror once activated when the negative lead is re-connected.

The wire can be tucked behind the roof lining. I gently prised the lining with a plastic spatula, then tucked it in.

There's loads of cable length, so make sure there is enough slack at the mirror for final adjustment.

When you get to the drivers corner of the headlining, route the wire behind the rubber along the plastic 'A' panel. There's no need to remove the panel as the wire is pretty thin and easily tucked away.

The wire then routes along the side of the dash (where the door closes and obscures the dash) then into the fuse box under the steering wheel area.

I purchased the wire cover from the Gentex mirror to the mirror which covers the 2 wires. It looks very neat and is essential to make it look near enough OE.

Attach the negative lead to the battery and check the power supply to the mirror.

These instructions seem long winded, but in reality, I could do another one in 30 minutes. Just be patient.

I will post some pictures when I can if they will help.

Good of you to post a walk-through. Having already done this myself, I have a couple of suggestions, if I may be so bold:

When removing the original mirror, if you get hold of the base where it attaches to the windscreen and twist that rather than the mirror itself, then you will be less likely to damage anything and the original mirror should then be reusable.

The Gentex slides down over the adapter ie: not the reverse way to the OE removal.

I painted my adapter with matte black paint as it can just be seen from the outside of the windscreen and the copper colour looks a bit out of place.

I could only find one company that sells these in the UK called A&E Trading -they sell the Gentex mirror with the adapter on eBay as a bundle here -so that's the cheapest way to get one. Rather annoyingly they don't seem to sell the cable cover -maybe OP could illuminate. I got mine sent over from the US which is a bit of hassle for a tiny bit of plastic

I could only find one company that sells these in the UK called A&E Trading -they sell the Gentex mirror with the adapter on eBay as a bundle here -so that's the cheapest way to get one. Rather annoyingly they don't seem to sell the cable cover -maybe OP could illuminate. I got mine sent over from the US which is a bit of hassle for a tiny bit of plastic

I bought mine from A&E Trading through eBay. Good service.

That same company also supplies the wire cover chaps, £9.99.

DON'T FORGET - YOU'LL NEED THE SHORT COVER - Or you will have to trim it down.

I spoke to the sales lady, who seemed pretty vague on the subject, but it arrived next day. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Call them on - 01753 696161

Thank you gents. Appreciated.

I've had auto-dimming RVMs in BMWs in the past and they're brilliant. If I struggle when my Fabia lands I'll get one of these ordered.

A pic would be great, as and when you get a chance though please B)

Cheers, James.

• 2 months later...