FABIA 1.2 Petrol / MPG / MAP / P0171 -Engine Management Light On

My 2007 Fabia 1.2 petrol has had very poor fuel consumption, 32 to 38 MPG and the engine management light would come on with the codes listed at the end of this post. I would clear the codes and they would return after a while.

Took the MAP out (once I had found it!) and cleaned it in isopropyl aclohol (£7 off Ebay). Just immersed it and then sloshed it around for a while. Fuel consumption immediately improved to 47 - 50 MPG on same run. I will wait to see if management light stays off. I now plan to replace the MAP anyway, to see if there can be even more improvement as my other Fabia will return 50 - 55 MPG on the same run.

I am not sure it is a good idea to buy one off Ebay, anyone reccomend where I can buy a genuine part, preferably not at Skoda dealer prices?

On my Fabia 1.2 Petrol the MAP is on the intake manifold which, looking from the front, is behind the engine down on the left hand (drivers) side. The part number is 0261230031, use this number to search on ebay to get an idea of what it looks like.

Here are the codes, I hope this post helps someone save some time and gas.

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!

Part No: 03E 906 023 D

Component: SIMOS91 1.2l 4V 9510

Revision: --H04--- Serial number: SKZ7Z0F3841321

Coding: 0000071

Shop #: WSC 13765 790 00000

VCID: 2045C0FEF0D8C34

1 Fault Found:

16555 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1

P0171 - 006 - System Too Lean - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Voltage: 0.140 V

Voltage: 0.100 V

Lambda: 0.0 %

Bin. Bits: 00001000

Voltage: 0.760 V

Voltage: 0.660 V

Lambda: 0.0 %

Bin. Bits: 00001000

Edited by orlaborla

This is a cause for concern for me. I have a 1.2 (BXV) ibiza and i average about 30mpg. No matter how i drive whether it be caning it, driving miss daisy, skipping gears i always get 30 - 32MPG.

I have no codes up and the car is running fine, its lost about 70KG of weight which made no significant to MPG. 17" Lightweight wheels with tyres pumped up to 32PSI front and 30PSI rear and still no difference.

Put a bottle of injector cleaner which made no significant difference, new spark plugs which made no difference either.

Car has 27k on it and has been returning poor MPG for as long as i remember. Engine mods are cold air feed and powerflow cat back.

I've always just accepted that its a silly underpowered engine, but after reading this thread and seeing your MPG shoot up to 50-55, its made me think something's wrong

Any ideas?

This is a cause for concern for me. I have a 1.2 (BXV) ibiza and i average about 30mpg. No matter how i drive whether it be caning it, driving miss daisy, skipping gears i always get 30 - 32MPG.

I have no codes up and the car is running fine, its lost about 70KG of weight which made no significant to MPG. 17" Lightweight wheels with tyres pumped up to 32PSI front and 30PSI rear and still no difference.

Put a bottle of injector cleaner which made no significant difference, new spark plugs which made no difference either.

Car has 27k on it and has been returning poor MPG for as long as i remember. Engine mods are cold air feed and powerflow cat back.

I've always just accepted that its a silly underpowered engine, but after reading this thread and seeing your MPG shoot up to 50-55, its made me think something's wrong

Any ideas?

I am not an expert, but your MPG sounds very low. I drive like Miss Daisy to achieve 50 - 55 MPG, but this is my son's car and he has a heavy foot. He was getting 32 MPG, now better than 40 MPG since cleaning the MAP. Hoping for more with a new MAP.

Prior to cleaning there were no other issues other than the poor MPG and the Engine management light coming on. The engine itself ran fine, just consistently poor fuel consumption. I think the reason the car used so much gas was that the MAP was incorrectly making the ECU think it was too lean and the ECU was compensating by providing more fuel. The warning light indicated the too lean situation, but only comes on if it is too lean over a threshold amount for a certain time. On my son's car it probably was near this threshold most of the time, but only over occasionally to trigger the light. Maybe yours is just under?

In your case you have mods which i have no idea what they do, but it sounds as though you need someone who does understand the mods to advise if you need to make any other adjustment to ensure the engine fuels correctly.

Hmm it makes a lot of concern to me as it doest matter how good I drive (in town the most I can get out of me car is 35-38MPG) in motorway the most I got out was 50 but it was almost downhill driving 60mph. How to approach dealer about it? Or just do it yourself and see if it works.

On my Fabia 1.2 Petrol the MAP is on the intake manifold which, looking from the front, is behind the engine down on the left hand (drivers) side. The part number is 0261230031, use this number to search on ebay to get an idea of what it looks like.

Looks like a location to me.