Smoothed out bumpers, has anyone done it?

DBP

Hi all,

after looking at PVW the other day around a friends and seeing a polo 6n2 with smoother out bumper (no bump strips) it got me wondering. What would an octy look like with it? and has anyone ever done it?

I have a bumper that needs respraying and if it looks good I may do it.

the issue you have is that under the bumper strips are the bolts that hold the bumper on so not straigh forward but yes if you could figure away around this then it would look ace imo :thumbup:

Thought about this one...

Make it reverse help, so basically the nut is inside the bumper and you unscrew it from behind the wheel arch liner. Its not coming off all the time so doesn't matter if it is partially inaccessible

I've been wondering the same thing or even just to body colour the strips. But here is some crude photoshop'd ones I did for mine.

Skodapic3.jpg

Skodapic4.jpg

Iv'e done the bump strips CC

It's ok but they chip and brake so easily!

Hmmm, I am not like on the estate just because it doesn't have the vRS' chin/jaw. Stick a LCR splitter on there and I think it will look better.

• 2 months later...

After my noise has disappeared for the minute I thought I would concentrate on some exterior mods...

So I have mentioned this one before, having a smoothed out bumper and since I have a space bumper I am feeling just do it!

But how would I go about it. What would be the best way to fill in the void?

Now this is where Black is clearly the best colour :giggle: not that I am starting the great colour debate, but they don`t bother me at all!! :rock:

Black is the best colour ;)

Just think it would look pretty cool.

Go for it,i considered doing it a few years ago and tried the bumper without the bolts under the bumper trim to see if it sagged much(infact i still think my bumper to this day is only held on by the torx screws lol) but still sits fine and if it didnt work i was going to do as you say and drill out the captive nuts in the wing and weld nuts to the plates in the front bumper,and reverse mount it but couldn't picture the rear bumper looking right as i felt it would be too smooth as theres no body lines in it and with mine having parking sensors i thought they would look odd in a smooth bumper but prove me wrong,be interesting to see it :) but if you do i'd recommend getting the bumper plastic welded first then filled to avoid it cracking

Go for it,i considered doing it a few years ago and tried the bumper without the bolts under the bumper trim to see if it sagged much(infact i still think my bumper to this day is only held on by the torx screws lol) but still sits fine and if it didnt work i was going to do as you say and drill out the captive nuts in the wing and weld nuts to the plates in the front bumper,and reverse mount it but couldn't picture the rear bumper looking right as i felt it would be too smooth as theres no body lines in it and with mine having parking sensors i thought they would look odd in a smooth bumper but prove me wrong,be interesting to see it :) but if you do i'd recommend getting the bumper plastic welded first then filled to avoid it cracking

How do you go about plastic welding? Well with the rear, you could put on the rear diffuser like what Mark has. Saw it on a black one the otherday and didn't look too bad. Make it stand out, maybe it a matte black and that wouldn't look too bad?