Mk1 Octavia 1-8T 20 Valve Auto Tyres

I need to replace a real mix of quite worn tyres on my above car (not 4x4)

After reading the forums here, I had virtually made my mind up to get the Falken 452's.

Fatal I know, but started to refresh my memory again today and found that the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas,

seem now to be the flavour of the month. Reading further & other reviews, it would seem that neither

option appears to be what it seemed at first - the Falkens apparently tramlining on imperfect roads

and comparatively noisy, while the Vredesteins have a really poor tread life. I only do about 9K a year

and usually drive reasonably sensibly, but I do when the mood takes me, really love the sound and feel of

that Turbo cutting in and go on to enjoy myself for a while as a result.

I do however need to get a set of tyres which will provide me with excellent all round driving capabilities

that do not drain my pockets completely(I am talking about normal weather conditions,not including driving

in snow and ice as that is another kettle of fish altogether!

Can any one help to end my indecision please?

falkens are good, sessantas are better if you can put up with the poor tyre life, i like toyo t1rs, one of my fav tyres and can handle a lot of stick whilst still giving good wear.

Just put a set of kumho KU39's on my 16" rims last week (perhaps not as sporty a tyre as the KU31 but are a newer design). I too was unsure what tyres to try but decided on these. Price was a factor with my decision, they cost £264 for 4 fully fitted from a local independant tyre fitter. So far i am quite impressed. Level of grip seems pretty good so far and they are a really quiet tyre. Don't know what mileage they will do but am fairly sure they will wear better than toyo's and vredesteins.

I've used various tyres in the last couple of years, including Falken 452's. They're ok, certainly ok for the money. But having gone for 4 Continental Sport Contact 3's last year I don't reckon i'll be using anything else. The grip levels are fantastic, even in the wet.

I've done around 14k on them and i've still got meat left on the fronts. Around 5mm. My Octavia is remapped and span up the fronts for fun with worse tyres on but with these it only does it in 1st in the dry. So wore well, grip well and aren't awful on price. Still not cheap mind but they are a top tier tyre.

Would be my recommendation. :)

Thank you all for the terrific response to my query, it is much appreciated.

I have decided to go for the Vredestein subject to being able to obtain them,

and have them fitted locally. Failing that, it will be the Falken 452s.

Once again thank you all. I know this is pretty much a VRS led site, but it

is good to know that help and assistance is out there for us lesser mortals,

who can but dream of owning such a modern legend! ;)

Hi all just a small postscript to the above!

Having opted for the Vredesteins, I started to look for suppliers/prices etc.

and guess what - I found that Sessantas are not actually available in the size

required for my car (205x55xR16). Apparently only the Sportrac 3 / Quatrac 3 are!

I can find no mention of these models on the forum, so I assume nobody here has experience of them.

Looks like Falken 452's here I come ........... or do I?

I don't think you'd be upset if you went for Falken 452's mate! Not for the money anyway.

I just prefer to make sure i've got the best tyres I can afford on as I like to go round corners properly! :) So it'll be Conti Sport Contact 3's for me.