New Octavia or Peugeot 407 ???

I think the 407 is the better looking car , and on paper the engines look to be fairly equally matched.

The interior of the 407 seemed very nice as does the new octy.

The 407 is more expensive when comparing similar models and I'd expect the octava to be better built.

I would buy the octavia

I think the 407 is the better looking car ' date=' and on paper the engines look to be fairly equally matched.

The interior of the 407 seemed very nice as does the new octy.

The 407 is more expensive when comparing similar models and I'd expect the octava to be better built.

I would buy the octavia[/quote']

:thumbup:

Yet again I find myself in agreement with Dr Zed :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Yet again I find myself in agreement with Dr Zed :rolleyes:

It's uncanny. :D

I did have a quick nose at the Peugeot website , and the 407 sx with a 136 BHP diesel engine is 19k give or take a few quid.

The spec isn't an exact match for the octy , but a 2.0 140bhp elegance is 16.4k.

OK , so the new octy isn't quite as cheap as it once was , but at more than two and a half grand saving against the competition it's still excellent vfm

It's uncanny. :D

I did have a quick nose at the Peugeot website ' date=' and the 407 sx with a 136 BHP diesel engine is 19k give or take a few quid.

The spec isn't an exact match for the octy , but a 2.0 140bhp elegance is 16.4k.

OK , so the new octy isn't quite as cheap as it once was , but at more than two and a half grand saving against the competition it's still excellent vfm[/quote']

Plus the Skoda has the added advantage of not "unconstructing" itself after 50,000 miles which has always been my experience of French cars (maybe just unlucky though?)

Plus the residuals on the new Octy look superior to the 407 :thumbup:

Plus the Skoda has the added advantage of not "unconstructing" itself after 50' date='000 miles which has always been my experience of French cars (maybe just unlucky though?)

[/quote']

My Citroen AX did start to suffer some "interesting" problems at around 50k , and while my dad's Renault 21 never fell apart just about everything that did go wrong after 50k required the removal of the dashboard at great expense.

you need to call into the skoda dealers and pick up the test reprint they have reprinted from WhatCar. The Octy 2.0TDI PD Elegance was up against:

Peugeot 407 2.0HDI S

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 138 LX

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi LS

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130 S

The skoda came top of the bunch with 4/5 overall, followed by the Toyota (4/5) and the Mondeo (4/5) in third, vectra was 4th (4/5) with the 407 rated at 3/5 beating the Passat (3/5) to fifth place.

The skoda verdict:

For - "Sharp handling, stong engine, high quality cabin, roomy interior and boot"

Against - "Rugged engine, curtain airbags and stability control cost extra"

Verdict - " New Octavia is classy, good to drive and spacious"

The 407 verdict:

For - "Bold styling, space for five, comprehensive safety equipment"

Against - "Fidgety ride, unrewarding to pilot, awkward driving position"

Verdict - "It looks great and has good passenger space and superb safety kit, but the 407's road manners and driving position are disappointing"

If you like safety - go 407, if you like driving go Skoda :)

both are good cars... 407 is bigger and more sporting... octy is possibly better value...

re sporting drive.. it depends on your style... if you enjoy outright grip and pace the 407 is superior.. if you prefer a more "throttle adjustable" style the octy may be more "you"

again re driving position i havent found either car to be a problem.. but every is a diff shape. im just round.

if you are interested in the 407 drop me a pm and will see if I can sort you a deal!

(for those who dont know i am going to work for Peugeot in W.Yorks on tue...!)

I'd take a 2.2HDI 407 Estate please.

I loved my old 406 estate, reasonably brisk, nice handling, reliable, oh and every one thought it was a diesel (all green 406 estates are) - shame it was a modded 3.0 V6 :D

I looked at the 407 before buying the Octy, actually both released in teh UK at the motorshow last year. 407 was awash with buttons and the interior felt very cramped as a result. Boot too small, as the estate wasn't out yet, and IT COSTS HOW MUCH.

Add to that, a dealer who really couldn't give a toss about either the car, me, or the sale and it was a no brainer to get the Skoda.

Other things eliminated:

Passat - may as well get a superb

Superb - no euro4 engine

Laguna- Had one, they're crap

Mazda6 - interior by Elizabeth duke at argos

Mondeo - IT COSTS HOW MUCH?

Focus CMAX - IT COSTS HOW MUCH MORE THAN A MONDEO?

Megan Scenic - Fells like driving a van and there's no space in the back.

Key advice would be to choose the car based on how competant and trustworthy the dealer is as well as the relyability record of the manufacturer (that rules out all french cars in my opinion)

:rant: I had a 406 it was a complete nightmare. Including

- complete rear braking system needing replaced at 1st mot

- 3 of the electric door locks failing over time

- front door handle failure

- on locking the rear door kicked open instead of locking

On top of that the main dealer - Glenvargil in south Aberdeen were the most incompetant bunch of ***** Ive ever met.

They wrecked the internal door seals when repairing the locks leading to water pouring into the rear passerger footwell. I gave up on their 3rd attempt - bought some waterproof tape and fixed it myself in 20 minutes.

When replacing the timing belt they didnt fit the cover back properly - leaving me with an annoying buzz oh and they also cracked the fuel line in the process so petrol would spray over the hot engine. I beleive they also tried to charge the company for the timing belt work which was meant to be free under a peugot recall notice.

Thanks to them I will NEVER buy another Peugot or have any dealings with any Glenvargil dealer again if at all possible.

Latest run in with them was having to argue for 10 minutes with some spotty oik to buy a new rear wiper blade for the saloon - he kept insisting there was no such thing - newsflash - its a standard factory fit option for the 406.

and dont even get me started on sh*trons - my mum used to drive a diane - nuuf said - it kept the local garage in business for years

To me there is only one way to go here, and that is Skoda. In my opinion there is a rule of thumb, if you buy Japanese or German engineered cars you won't go far wrong, and Skoda is the cheapest way of buying into German engineering.

I am absolutely sure the Superb DOES have a euro IV diesel engine.

When i was deciding about purchasing my Furby in Oct 2003, i saw tht the Superb was offered in euroIV & non euro for MY04, the non euro compliant was slightly more (+2 BHP)powerful, better economy & better 0-60, and approx

Key advice would be to choose the car based on how competant and trustworthy the dealer is as well as the relyability record of the manufacturer (that rules out all french cars in my opinion)

:rant: I had a 406 it was a complete nightmare. Including

- complete rear braking system needing replaced at 1st mot

- 3 of the electric door locks failing over time

- front door handle failure

- on locking the rear door kicked open instead of locking

On top of that the main dealer - Glenvargil in south Aberdeen were the most incompetant bunch of ***** Ive ever met.

They wrecked the internal door seals when repairing the locks leading to water pouring into the rear passerger footwell. I gave up on their 3rd attempt - bought some waterproof tape and fixed it myself in 20 minutes.

When replacing the timing belt they didnt fit the cover back properly - leaving me with an annoying buzz oh and they also cracked the fuel line in the process so petrol would spray over the hot engine. I beleive they also tried to charge the company for the timing belt work which was meant to be free under a peugot recall notice.

Thanks to them I will NEVER buy another Peugot or have any dealings with any Glenvargil dealer again if at all possible.

Latest run in with them was having to argue for 10 minutes with some spotty oik to buy a new rear wiper blade for the saloon - he kept insisting there was no such thing - newsflash - its a standard factory fit option for the 406.

and dont even get me started on sh*trons - my mum used to drive a diane - nuuf said - it kept the local garage in business for years

Baguette and croissants for breakfast ?...................... :rofl:

I am absolutely sure the Superb DOES have a euro IV diesel engine.

Only the 2.5 is EU4 compliant, much as i'd like one my limit can just get a poverty spec 1.9tdi superb. So a top spec Octy 2.0 seemed a better choice.

The firm I work for have peugeots as their fleet cars. they have mainly 307's but there are a fair quantity of 406's and the 407 is trickling through now.

I'm afraid I haven't got a lot of good words to say about Peugeot. I'd say the diesel's are great if a little underpowered in 1.4 HDI trim.

The interior build quality is shocking with dashboards too easily marked, carpets coming away, electics failing, trim falling off and buttons failing as well.

The other thing is the front seats. After a surprisingly short time, they lose all support and eventually come loose with a slight area of travel when they are supposed to be fixed. this causes back pain and is uncomfortable in long distance journeys.

We have also had a lot of gearbox failures as well.

I appreciate the private buyer would probably take better care of their vehicle than the fleet driver, and do less miles in the car. The old 306 was a much more sturdy car than the 307 and also the 406, which doesn't bode well for the 407 IMO.

I would definitely go Skoda. It's a breath of fresh air at the end of the day to return to a comfortable, well built, reliable, solid car.

Go Skoda....

In my driving life, I have owned only 5 cars.....

Car 1. For my student days. Nissan Sunny 1.4 litre ( F Reg). I had this car for just under 4 years and it never let me down. It went through the usual maintenance of new clutch, tyres etc, but it did have 100k on the clock when I got rid of it.

Car 2. Citreon Xantia SX 1.9 TD (N Reg). What a pile of crap. 2 new clutches. New set of glow plugs every MONTH!. Dodgey electrics. Rubbish. Had this a grand total of 7 months.

Car 3. Peugoet 406 SRi 2.0 16v (N Reg). Not a BAD car, but did have its problems. Used to hate idleing. Had to be serviced every 4000 miles or the engine got twitchy. Did have some wiered electrical issues. Had a total of just over 2 years.

Car 4. Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6 ( S Reg) *DEATH TRAP*. While driving along, would just cut out, even doing 70 on the motorway. Spent a fortune on it with all its problems. In total, I lost about

You know what the problem is?

When the Peugeot/Renault/Citroen motorcar is being assembled, the gallic assembly line worker spots that the steering wheel is on the wrong side and thinks,

"Sacre Bleu! Zis one is for ze RosBif Merde-munchers across ze chanelllll! I murst use all of my skeeeel and errogance to produce ze sheeeeetest car I heve ever produced! Zat weel teach ze deoderant wearing, non-romantic breeetish scerm sacs to buy ze magnifique voitures au Francais!!!"

then he knocks off for the afternoon, leaving his pet monkey (which can often be mistaken for Frenchmen and sent to the gallows in the village of Hartlepool) to finnish the car.

I must appologise for my previous post.

It was thoroughly inappropriate and quite offensive.

A monkey would do a much better job of making a French car than an actual Frenchman could! :D

I test drove both cars for a week before picking one. There is absolutely no doubt at all that I picked the right one, in the Octy.

Some of my colleagues plumped for the 407's and, apart from a few issues with looks, they now acknowledge the error of their ways. Would they now get a Skoda - probably not the name puts them off, which indicates where their priorities lie. :confused:

There is a general consensus of renaming their 407's as 'slugs' and even my diesel Octy leaves them for dead.

I've got more toys, better performance, better 'real world' fuel efficiency and two of the 407's have conked out in the last 4 months. :D

Simply no comparison

Mike