Leon Cupra R 225 brakes

What kind of money do these usually go for i have seen a set described as a full set of front brakes for about £350 - no idea of condition / mileage

what are your thoughts as to price? there are obviously badger 5 offerings, but that i assume is brand new, all singing all dancing, not straight off a car and in used condition.

NEW:Brembo 4-Pot Brake Calipers and disk conversion now available 323x28 Disks. Suitable for 5x100 Golf 4, Seat Leon Cupra. From £945 for the Full kit + carriage.

another quick question - i like the bermbos, but like skoda green. is there a good, cheap and lasting way to colour the brembo calipers green without having them chipping and all the red showing through? or is it a full strip down, reconditioning of seals and then a full powder coating that needs to be done?

thanks

The Badger5 kit is basically the same as Leon Brembos IIRC but brand new.

350 quid is not bad - I paid more than that for calipers, pads and discs.

Hammerite smooth green is the paint to have - but it's discontinued and a bit hard to come by. There are several threads about it.

fit four pots, like the lcr or brembo gt kit (almost the same as the lcr), they are great, buy lcr kit and not a generic ebay 4pot kit as the size of the pistons are important, seen lots of lcr kits come and go from 350 (though often around £450) that can be bought and repainted. They work particularly well with ferodo ds2500 pads, or if you are feeling flush get a 325/330mm disc/carrier 2 piece upgrade kit, but iirc the bells and rotor setups with the carrier spacers are about 500ish see badger bill or compbrake for info, also green hammerite smooth is nigh on the same colour if not the same so you can repaint the red fronts green, or just buy red and paint your rears red to match the lcr coloured fronts, looks better imo ;)

Thats a good price, mine were £420 last year and they came with everything bar the flexi pipes as the fella cut them.

Paint wise, dont use the Hammerite crap, its really soft and you wont get it on nicely. Go to a paint mixer, just ask your local body shop where they get their paint mixed. My tin cost £12 and took 10 mins for him to make it, mind I did leave HIGH too as the smell was strong lol.

Just need to rub them down and get the laquer off them ready to paint.

How I got mine:

IMG00286-20110329-1057.jpg

IMG00287-20110329-1057.jpg

IMG00288-20110329-1057.jpg

Prep:

Good rub down with sand paper and a screwdriver to get all dust buildups off.

cover the pistons like so using the Dust seal as a template:(one smal one large per side)

IMG00389-20110413-1011.jpg

IMG00388-20110413-1011.jpg

IMG00390-20110413-1012.jpg

Ready to spray:

IMG00391-20110413-1017.jpg

IMG00387-20110413-1009.jpg

All done:

IMG00394-20110413-1217.jpg

IMG00395-20110413-1409.jpg

Under Spiders with 5mm spacers:

Cardiff-20110805-00115.jpg

IMG00399-20110416-0427.jpg

Under 8x18 et35 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with 3mm spacers:

IMG00418-20110424-1543.jpg

IMG00397-20110414-0528.jpg

Under LCR Ronal 7.5x18 et38:(need a refurb tho)

IMG-20110624-00055.jpg

Sorted......................

I have found a place in Sheffield that has quoted me £30 a calliper to shot blast them and repaint green (as close as they can get) to skoda green. need to email them back tho asking a few more Q's.

I wouldstrip them right back myself again but it was really painstaking to get them to how they were above and I just cant be bothered.

Might even send the spare rears I have too and get all 4 done so they at least match, so long as its really close to the vRS green I dont mind, I dont want the light green. needs to look std lol.

Red is too common.

Sorry Rob :giggle:

EDIT:

Oh and you wont regret fitting them! so long as you bleed them really well and a few times, they are awesome and totally different feel to the std 312mm's work from the top of the pedal and progress right thru the travel, unlike the std stuff that need pressing a bit to get some bite.

:thumbup:

I have found a place in Sheffield that has quoted me £30 a calliper to shot blast them and repaint green (as close as they can get) to skoda green. need to email them back tho asking a few more Q's.

I wouldstrip them right back myself again but it was really painstaking to get them to how they were above and I just cant be bothered.

Might even send the spare rears I have too and get all 4 done so they at least match, so long as its really close to the vRS green I dont mind, I dont want the light green. needs to look std lol.

Red is too common.

Sorry Rob :giggle:

EDIT:

Oh and you wont regret fitting them! so long as you bleed them really well and a few times, they are awesome and totally different feel to the std 312mm's work from the top of the pedal and progress right thru the travel, unlike the std stuff that need pressing a bit to get some bite.

yup going to the effort of taking the seals off and spraying with 2k, you might as well save yourself the time and give them to a shotblaster/powdercoater. Hammerite is fine for a quick job or on the car painting.

Ps you are obsessed with green billy, told you green is so last year ;)

How did it Handel with the spiders and 5 mm spacers ?

very nice mate, drove ok, was more twitchy with just 5mm on the front, but I then put 5mm F & R which made it better. the only thing is over 60 it wobbled even with hubcentrics. hence why I got the LCRs as they are OEM and dont need spacers and designed for the car lol. My aim is to have NEARLY lol all OEM parts lol, VAG knew what they were doing with the making of these cars, Jus IMO they never colated all the best bits into one car.

On the Hammerite side, I got a tin and painted the RARB and wont use it again its too soft.

billy :thumbup:

wider track on the front helps prevent understeer so shouldnt be twitchy on the front end, your spacers i think were duff billy, i had 15mm spacers on mine and it was dare i say one of the best handling cars i have driven (except for my mk2 golf). Def no wheel wobble or issues.

dont know mate,

It was a pig to drive tho, wont ever use spacers again.

I found it tramlined more than normal and even the slightest uneven road and it was all over, Took them off and it was all good.

dont know mate,

It was a pig to drive tho, wont ever use spacers again.

I found it tramlined more than normal and even the slightest uneven road and it was all over, Took them off and it was all good.

thats either faulty spacers, wheels tryes or tracking then, spacers do not make the car tramline normally at all, and as long as they are not too oversized (to put stress on bearings) can be very useful and advantageous.

good quality spacers do not cause those issues