Rusty tailgate and warranty

Whoooop whoooop, Put it in to Henry Bros in Glasgow today to check the coil packs for recall, And got new coil Packs Yeh. Even got a courtesy car too (61' Octy 1.8TSi SE+) :smirk:

But in for a penny in for a pound I asked about a warranty claim for the rust on the tail gate either side of the number plate. my car was registered 30 January 2002 so pushing it alittle but hey its still in warranty even though it has a mostly a non skoda service history.

You should have seen their faces, wish I took a photo asking such a thing on a 02 plate with nearly 120000 on the clock.

Wish me luck with that one, :S they are putting the case to skoda but I have just over a week left to get it sorted unless they take it from the day I raise the case. out of my hands now!

The anti-perforation warranty is 7 years I think, so I think you will be out of luck. However once the case has been raised it does not matter if you fall outside of the warranty window (just as long as it was raised when in warranty).

Hi, Iv'e discussed this in someone else's post and had it confirmed today by Skoda dealer that it is 10years for the MK1 Octavia 10 year anti-perforation warranty , but its now in Skodas hands and they will decide if its from defect or wear and tear like stone chips etc and was told if anyone has tried to spray/repair it before then it's not covered. :'(

I understand stand from our local Skoda in Derby that it is a 10 year anti corrosion warranty but must be accompanied by a full service history from skoda as they do a anti corrion check when servicing the vehicle.

They may be true but i'm still going to try it with my tailgate which is bubbling around the tailgate lift handle and i haven't got full skoda history

We have a 2004 VW T5 with near on 190,000 miles on it, it hasn't seen a Volkswagen service center since around 60,000 miles!!! Anyway around September 2011 whilst cleaning it I noticed rust on the nearside sliding door bottom, rear arch nearside and tailgate, anyway took it over to VW in Liverpool warranty guy came out inspected it closely for any excuse i.e. untreated stone chips or previous repairs in those areas took some photos and that was it. Around 2 weeks later got a call from VW to arrange a time to collect the T5 up and do all the warrenty work!!!! Was I a happy boy :yes: :yes: :yes: Result and hats of to VW for honoring their warranty!!

So the best of luck to you, dont take no for an answer!!! :wonder:

I understand stand from our local Skoda in Derby that it is a 10 year anti corrosion warranty but must be accompanied by a full service history from skoda as they do a anti corrion check when servicing the vehicle.

They may be true but i'm still going to try it with my tailgate which is bubbling around the tailgate lift handle and i haven't got full skoda history

Assuming this was Clock, they got the rust on the tailgate of my car sorted when it was about 7 years old and it definately hasn't got a skoda service history - There was only one service done by a Skoda dealer IIRC. As far as Clock's staff go, some of them would have great difficulty in locating their posteriors using both hands and a map.

Oh and they will hopefully take a few pictures then send you to the VW bodyshop on Pride Park to give them a quote and then speak to Skoda.

Edited by trundlenut

Well I'm the middle of a warranty battle with Skoda at the moment. I have an 02 Octy estate that I bought in March. After getting home and giving it a wash I noticed there was a bit of corrosion on the bottom of the front wings and cills, and on the tailgate. I went to a Skoda dealer in Reading and told them I wanted to make a claim. The guy whodeals with warranties took some photo's and sent off claim. He said that Skoda took ages to respond so I waited and waited. I called them every few weeks and even turned up on spec a few times, but got the same series of answers; the guy who deals with warranties is on holiday/sick or they hadn't heard from Skoda. Eventually in OCTOBER, yes OCTOBER I spoke to someone different at the garage who basically said, oh yeah, we found the paperwork last week and have submitted the claim as urgent, I kid you not! A week later I hear back from Skoda and they say they will sort the tailgate but not the rest. I asked why, and the girl said that the guy who submitted the report had said there must have been an 'external factor' that had caused the corrosion. When pressed, the girl stated that the car might have been 'parked under a tree' or 'might have been grounded'. As I explained, both were unlikely because there was no damage to the cills and the car would have to have been parked upside down under the tree to affect the cills? I went to the guy who did the original report and asked him about, and he said he'd written nothing of the sort. He showed me the original reports which just stated 'corrosion'. Anyway I got back to the girl dealing with the claim and asked why I'd been lied to/fobbed off and couldn't get a direct answer.She said she'd get some 'expert technicians' to have alook at the photos. A week later she called me back and said that the 'technicians' had agreed the claim was not warrantable. So I asked why, and she couldn't answer. I asked to speak to the 'technician' who made the judgement, but apparantly they cannot be contacted? Fobbed off again! So i wrote an email to Skoda customer services explaining what had happened. The matter has been 'elevated' to someone else, who has failed to phone me back on several occassions, but the upshot is Skoda have agreed to pay for a painted vehicle inspection, which is apparently an independant inspection carried out by a qualified technician. Whatever he says, Skoda will agree with. So I'll have to wait and see. The moral is, expect to be fobbed off and lied to, but the tailgate issue is a well known problem that they should fix for free. The warranty is for ten years, and there are no terms & conditions specified in my handbook. Skoda obviously don't want to pay for 'old' cars, but as far as I'm concerned, the car came with a 10 year warranty and that's the end of the matter. Good luck, give it a go.

Cheers 352

Just an Update, Henry Bros. phoned 1st thing this morning and said that Skoda will honor the warranty Ya Beuty :rofl:

sa it goes in on the 6th for a week ish, but hey it means i'll need to slum it in another brand new octavia again :giggle:

Mind you, i don't know if they picked up on the rust on the left rear sill so I'll need to see if they can do that too, again in fur a penny .........

Just an Update, Henry Bros. phoned 1st thing this morning and said that Skoda will honor the warranty Ya Beuty :rofl:

sa it goes in on the 6th for a week ish, but hey it means i'll need to slum it in another brand new octavia again :giggle:

Mind you, i don't know if they picked up on the rust on the left rear sill so I'll need to see if they can do that too, again in fur a penny .........

Excellent news. Off for a trip to Grey Gables Skoda with my old wrecker sometime soon, then. ;)

i tried to have my vrs tailgate rust done under warranty. Was told no !! also there wasnt a problem with them rusting!! WTF SEEN NO END OF TAILGATES WITH RUST ON! thats the only bit of rust on her, such a shame! come on skoda pull your finger out!and sort it

was it the dealer or Skoda that said no? If it was the dealer I would try another one.

The VW bodyshop who fixed mine said it was a very common problem and they had done quite a few of them.

I put a claim in for my rear door and it was refused by Skoda UK, twice.

It is/was a common problem and generally you have a 50/50 chance of it being sorted under warranty. However they will do a paint depth test and if it shows any sign of undue wear or a previous re-spray they will reject the claim instantly.

I had the work done anyway but ended up stripping the car and selling the parts.

I still have a BLACK rear door with a brand new rust treatment and paint job ready to "plug and play" if anyone is considering having a re-spray.

It's literally in full working order and has all the trim parts and even the telescopic arms atill attached, tinited winow as well. If anyone in interested either see my for sale add or PM me with an offer (might be very cost effective for you) B)

I also have a few other parts from my estate, including brand new bumper and reversing sensors, so if you need anything please PM me.

It was skoda uk that said no!! is it worth trying another dealer

Probably not as the dealer just puts the claim together and skoda says yes or no apparently. But I suppose some dealers will be better than others at justifying it to Skoda and some may have more clout like if they are top performers.

An interesting thread as I had exactly the same issue with my tailgate and they covered it under the warranty - was about 8 years old at the time! My car had never been serviced by a Skoda dealer, although had been by an independant garage. I was treated to a brand new Ford Ka for a week - no complaining but not quite the same as the Skoda!

I discovered more rust on the sills in the summer although I decided to sort these myself as it was under the thick underseal that they put on. I peeled it off and sanded it down and put a thick coating of Tetra seal on to keep it going.

Yeh I've some rust at the rear edge of one of the sills was going to get them to do it to, but my sills are bashed in slightly each side underneath where previous owner claimed it was a large kerb, not sure, being the 4x4 I think he has tried some off-road the fool. Sa don't think skoda are going to touch them. The tailgate will do :)

that's it nothing ventured nothing gained eh? car went in today for around 5 days, got new octy as courtesy car but a base spec 1.6 MPI :( least the last one I got had toys. Miss mine already but not gonna moan its a new car to swan about in for a week. Oh and have to correct myself, the dealer is Henry's SKODA Glasgow not Henry Bros. as I thought. so credit where credit is due and I also booked it in for a service while its there which it needs. Although pretty dear it saves me the hassle so willing to pay for it this time.It's all good. keep up the pressure chaps.

2001 Octavia - not a chance a? :doh:

well mine is a 51 plate which I thought meant it was 2001 but was registered 30/01/2002 so literally I had days left when i realised and had them look at it, so glad I did :)

well mine is a 51 plate which I thought meant it was 2001 but was registered 30/01/2002 so literally I had days left when i realised and had them look at it, so glad I did :)

it says it's delivered on April 2001

Mmmm think ur fooked then. Could always ask anyway

Should find dealer near me, and ask.. i have had signs of rust for some time now, and never thought about warranty :doh:

Well all done and I must say a fantastic.job Henry's Skoda done. Paint is perfect. They put on new badges, plinth, numberplate lights. And rear lights for some reason. Even clayed the whole car as it had tar spots allover it and ground in brake dust on the alloys I couldn't get rid of , all looks like new again. And interior is even spotless. Oh and they touched up the rust on the sills which wasn't covered due to previous owners off road adventures. :)

Oh just noticed that there is now a rubber gasket between the plastic number plate plinth (as they call it) and the metal boot lid as the vibration from it not fitting properly is apparently what causes the boot to wear through at the edges of the plinth

Edited by Bigphil33