FL VRS headlights & HID's?

FL VRS headlights and HID's

im not upto speed on VRS headlights so what bulbs would i need?

i know you dont need side lights but what indicators, main beam & high beam bulbs do i need?

is the main beam H7? i have 6000k canbus HID's in my vectra and would be nice to carry them over? (mainly as the vectras canbus system is a pain in which means HID's become expensive)

cheers.

I've had this kit in since September with no problems. Went for 4300K.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-kits-35w-canbuspro/h1h3h7h1190059006-hid-kits/h1h3h4h7h8h9h11-35w-canbus-pro-hid-conversion-kit-p-453.html

Simply went for halfords ultra brilliant H1's for mainbeam, which are still a bit yellow but good output.

D a search om here - lots of "issues" with legality ie: they aint! and please don't be tempted to go for "Canbus" units - you stand a very good chance of doing damage to your electrics which are not designed to run into a big resistive load...........

Be warned

D a search om here - lots of "issues" with legality ie: they aint! and please don't be tempted to go for "Canbus" units - you stand a very good chance of doing damage to your electrics which are not designed to run into a big resistive load...........

Be warned

Yup, very warned. Regardless of what you read on eBay and elsewhere, retro-fit HIDs are illegal for use on the road, within the EU (including the UK). None of the units are ECE/E marked and approved, as there is no approval system in place for these units, and very probably never will be. (Proper approved HIDs are physically different for this reason.)

There'll be a slew of people who will spout on about how they've had them fitted and passed MOTs etc, but the fact remains they are illegal.

Plus, if they do damage the CANBus, as Wardth says is possible, the supplier will more than likely not even want to know, let alone stick his hand in his pocket for you.

But, to answer your original question you'd need:

new headlight units (HID ones are different to halogen ones)

Approved HID bulbs

fully automatic self-levelling kit

washers (either as part of the bumper or a retro-fit kit) complete with piping

requisite wiring looms

I think VCDS is needed too

lots of time and effort

I think someone else estimated the cost to be in excess of a couple of grand to have it all done properly and legally.

Better off buying a car with OEM HIDs already fitted.

cheers guys, ive got away with them on the vectra but that already has projector headlights so its not been an issue (plus i dont really care about the vectra, well looked after, servicing timing belts etc but i dont spend the extra love and attention my last cars have got, hence its departure in a couple months) . however i will heid your warning and just look for one with xenons which was my original plan or just buy really good uprated bulbs.

thanks again.

Rab, the pre-FL dipped beam is H7 so I assume the FL is the same, as previously mentioned get a non-Canbus kit and find someone local with VCDS, you need controller 9 switched to xenons without shutters, and have the cold diagnostics switched off, This is the configuration for a vehicle with factory xenons.