Ap's Mk2 vRS thread

apmaman

This is my blog / project / moan thread about my 2011 Fabia vRS.

July 2011 I went to go look at a Ford Capri 2.8i, ended up buying the vRS instead. I was orignally planning on getting an all black vRS with the polished wheels, but I'd still be waiting till Feburary 2012 for it.

The Dealers were due in a new Demo car, Rallye green with bluetooth, climate control, red interior and a few other lovely bits.

Anyway!

Here she is on the day of delivery, all nice and new..

P1010752copy.jpg

I quickly set about changing over the indicators to silvertec bulbs and changing the interior bulbs to LED's and a green festoon to match the exterior

P1010764.jpg

P1010769.jpg

Skoda Fabia OEM mudflaps were fitted about a week later. The cars arse gets dirty as it is, this "helps" a bit haha. Sets the car off nicely I think.

Photo188.jpg

Cheeky private plate added

2011-08-31125716.jpg

My first real dive into the modified car scene, I've become a boy racer!

2011-09-19152452.jpg

This consists of a Pipercross Viper and some 70mm silicon pipe work, along with an aluminuim t-pipe for the oil breather.

Winter Mode enabled

2011-10-13181835.jpg

Philips 4300k bulbs (Driver) vs Osram Hyper blue 6000k (Passanger)

2011-11-18182957-1.jpg

• Like 2

Very much so!

I was going to keep my old car and have the Capri as a winter project / fast weekend car but the Capri needed a bit of TLC engine wise and a re-spray. That, with all the costs of owning and insuring two cars for a 22 year old killed it!

Even that, the capri's v6 rumble was great. It put a smile on my dads face as he had one back in '86. Same colour and everything, but his was stolen and used in a bank robbery!

Got a few more plans, Not entirely happy with the induction kit layout but it'll do for now and something pretty big coming soon B)

Thanks for the comments folks. I forgot to add that I had a HID kit in, but I've recently sold it.

The increase in light wasn't what I was expecting against the Osram Hyper Blue's. Didn't see the point in them to be honest, plus one had a really annoying flicker. Well it wasn't a flicker, but if you could imagine shining light through water the beam of light would ripple. Almost impossible to see looking at the car, but inside if you were behind a car it would be noticeable on there bumper waiting at lights etc.

TMC Tuning kit on the way and my varex exhaust build has hit a bit of a snag but thats sorted, just need to get a welder etc and it'll be all good.

Thanks for the comments folks. I forgot to add that I had a HID kit in, but I've recently sold it.

The increase in light wasn't what I was expecting against the Osram Hyper Blue's. Didn't see the point in them to be honest, plus one had a really annoying flicker. Well it wasn't a flicker, but if you could imagine shining light through water the beam of light would ripple. Almost impossible to see looking at the car, but inside if you were behind a car it would be noticeable on there bumper waiting at lights etc.

TMC Tuning kit on the way and my varex exhaust build has hit a bit of a snag but thats sorted, just need to get a welder etc and it'll be all good.

I guarantee you that the Philips genuine HID kit is WAY better than any aftermarket bulb.

I've got them fitted and it is an essential upgrade to any car with projectors, no matter how many objections come from the 'anti HID brigade' emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

I guarantee you that the Philips genuine HID kit is WAY better than any aftermarket bulb.

I've got them fitted and it is an essential upgrade to any car with projectors, no matter how many objections come from the 'anti HID brigade' emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

Not used the philips one, but I've heard very good things about it. I suppose its a buy nice or buy twice deal.

I'm Pro HID when they are used properly, in projector lights and have been adjusted properly. I don't see the fuss about that but then again there are those who take the mick with the 78000000k bulbs that just flash light everywhere.

Did you get your tuning box through yet bud ?

Its on route B) Do you notice any difference on the lower settings? or am I best keeping it at 7 all the time

Varex Prep installation.

4x 2.5inch Stainless Steel gaskets

1x 2.5inch Stainless Steel Pipe 500mm long

2x Exhaust Hangers, Stainless Steel

1x 3inch twin tip Varex Exhaust 2.5inch inlet

1x Control box & wiring

1x Fabia vRS

Firstly remove the spare wheel & accessories from the boot of the car and remove one of the plastic grommets with a flat head screw driver or other tool. This comes off fairly easily. Once thats off feed the waterproof connector through the hole, using your fingers to guide it to the gap slightly forward to allow it to fall to the floor.

You can then bring some more wire back up so the connector isn't dragging on the ground and replace the grommet. This should keep it wire in place. It can be sealed with Duct Tape, or sealant as well if you're after a more permanent solution.

2012-02-09142504.jpg

2012-02-09142540.jpg

Next collapse the rear passenger seat to allow you to feed the wiring through the gap between seats. Once the wiring is through riase the seat again and squeeze the wiring between the gaps in the cushion. You can also lift up the seat cushion and feed the the wiring in there as well.

Once it has been fed through the rear seats its time to move onto the centre console.

The plastics are fairly flexable so using your fingers you can bend the plastics and slide the wiring in behind them keeping them out of sight. Continue up to the gear selector.

2012-02-09142909.jpg

I have a small section of wire which remains exposed, but shall be getting pinned into the carpet with some black tacs to avoid it being pulled on occidentally.

2012-02-09142913.jpg

Continue this right up to the drivers foot rest. The varex control box can then be hidden under the dash behind the fuse box. You can feel around above where the pedals are there are a lot of empty spaces and the control box will fit into one if you feel around enough.

2012-02-09143000.jpg

2012-02-09143102.jpg

Double back along the foot rest and centre console plastics with the wire which has the 12v plug on it keeping the wires hidden until you have something like this.

2012-02-09142949.jpg

Now... to fit the Varex.... To be continued!

Edit:

Oh hi thar...

2012-02-10132323.jpg

Edited by apmaman

TMC Tuning box review:

Arrived by secure signed for post in a lovely box, a free creme egg awaited me inside too which was nice :rofl:

Following the guide on here it was easy to install, the turbo boost sensor being the most difficult to install due to its position.

Performance:

YOU MUST BUY THIS.

Seriously, if you have a vRS the difference is amazing. Overtaking is hilariously easy. Given the space that is.

The gear changes now feel prominent where as before it was as smooth. The car feels more alive. I have noticed a wooshing nose as I apply the accelerator which sounds great. Induction roar has increased and the bov sounds a bit louder too. All of this on setting 6. I shall be putting it to 8 when I go to Crail Raceway on the 15th.

Seriously good kit.

Insurance premium has only gone up £40, with declaring my varex mod as well.

Might be worthwhile getting some good velcro (halfords do some really heavy duty velcro pretty cheap)

That way you can mount the TMC box securely in the engine bay so it doesnt move around much. Remember theres going to be circuit boards inside which probably wont like being knocked about :thumbup:

Might be worth you trying your runs on different settings as well. Higher settings wont necessarily make for a better time. Mine on the 1/4 mile due to the high boost was rapid for the first half but you could feel the drop off in power due to the heat towards the end. Post up your crail times when your done and ill get them on the 1/4 mile leaderboards :thumbup:

Cheers vRSy. Ill be sure to post them up when I get back..

I got the Varex fitted today. emoticon-0103-cool.gif

I chose to have a full stainless kit installed from the middle silencer back to allow the varex to fit. The standard exhaust has a downwards bend just before it gets to the back box which is very awkward to describe and makes for rear can fitting to be a bit of a PITA.

Varex Shut:

The car sounds stock, if a tiny bit quieter. Driving at 60 & 70 the car sounds like it normally does. Fairly quiet and so on. I didn't notice any additional power loss when gaining speed from 60 to over take and it felt just like the standard car does. Normal 30mph driving you'd be very hard pressed to notice that anything has been done to the car. Most of the noise comes from the engine making it easy to hear the blow off valves and induction roar.

Varex Open:

The car has a much deeper throaty noise to it. It is "sporty" in sound but not over the top which is what I was wanting.

At 60/70mph there is an increase in cabin noise yes, but its eliminated with a simple press of a button.

Under acceleration it sounds very nice in the cabin, what it should of sounded like from the factory. Loud, but not in your face.

30mph the car is a bit louder in the cabin. It's noticeable if you concentrate and listen for it however it is ease to live with.

Edited by apmaman
  • Like 2

I had some problems getting the power down from 3rd gear onwards at Crail today.

I was up against some of my friends cars who I should have trounced but I was ony getting High 15's and even 16's. I had noticed my oil breather pipe had come loose from the engine block, re-attached that before the last few runs and managed a cracking 14.47... The 5th fastest ever 1600cc Turbo time at crail, and second fastest 1600cc Turbo time of the day. Cracking results!

The TMC Tuning box seemed to work best on 7. Runs 1-3 were on 8. The rest were on 7.

2012-02-19170658-1.jpg

the car:

tmc tuning box setting 7

pipercross viper induction

varex exhaust

1 passanger

Edited by apmaman