Technique for Transferring MP3's from iTunes to SD Card

Nickel

I recently bought a Yeti 1.4 TSI SE which came with the Amundsen Sat Nav. I really like to listen to music in the car so was keen to see what options were available with the Yeti.

Previously I've fitted after market units so that I could connect my iPod. I fitted a Kenwood DNX5220 Sat Nav to my TT and could control the iPod from the steering wheel and the head unit would display the track details, playlists and album art.

I've been reading all threads I could find here relating to transferring music onto SD cards and finally came up with a solution which works well for me. It may be of interest to others in a similar situation.

I use iTunes to organise my music and keep it all in MP3 format arranged in folders by Artist / Album / Track. I had a spare 2GB SD Card and decided to experiment by copying music to it from iTunes. I used iTunes Smart Playlists to select the music to copy to the SD Card. Using Smart Playlists you can dynamically select music to match certain criteria such as Rating, Genre, Size etc.

I created a Smart Playlist which selected music with a rating of 5 stars and a size limit of 1900MB. I then cut and pasted the files from iTunes to the SD card. I tried playing this and the card worked fine in the Amundsen unit. The only disadvantage was that cutting and pasting from iTunes to the SD card looses the folder structure which means that you cannot select particular artist or albums.

To resolve this I found a program called iTunesExport http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ which allows you to select playlists from iTunes and copy them including the files and folder structure directly to the SD card. This program simplifies the procedure, so I bought a 32GB SD card and created a new playlist with a size limit of 31000MB (the free space available on a 32GB SD card).

This works really well on the Amundsen and there is no significant delay when selecting the SD card. I can play all the music in sequence or random or I can play certain artists or albums by selecting the relevant folder. I can also control it from the steering wheel and see the track details on the Amundsen display.

This technique should also work on the Bolero unit. Overall I'm happy with the solution and it's certainly cheaper and quicker than retrofitting an MDI.

Nickel

Thanks - good hint.

Out of interest, how are you finding the 1.4?

It's still early days as I've got less than 250 miles on the clock. The engine seems very willing to rev and I'm sure it will be more than adequate. I'm going to run it in for at least 1000 miles. I'm used to my Octavia VRS and TT, so it will take a bit of getting used. I like the elevated driving position. Getting in and out the TT could be awkward especially if someone parks too close - the doors are quite long.

I'm in the process of moving down to Devon where the Yeti should be much more suitable.

Nickel

Thx. I'd be interested to see what mileage you get (versus the guys who entered info herefor example). :thumbup:

Average so far is around 37 MPG, but like I say it's still early days. I'll add an update when I've got more info.

Average so far is around 37 MPG, but like I say it's still early days. I'll add an update when I've got more info.

37mpg - I can't get close to that even if I drive like an undertaker. I got the same model and usually get about 29-30 mpg.

Back to the iTunes suggestion, if you connect your iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth then you can play all your music, podcasts etc without worrying about transferring to the SD card.

Regards

K

37mpg - I can't get close to that even if I drive like an undertaker. I got the same model and usually get about 29-30 mpg.

Back to the iTunes suggestion, if you connect your iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth then you can play all your music, podcasts etc without worrying about transferring to the SD card.

Regards

K

Made a trip to the shops today - 4 miles each way - and achieved 36 MPG. I'm taking it easy as I'm still running it in.

Don't have Bluetooth on the Amundsen or on the the iPod (60GB Classic) so that wasn't an option. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a Yeti 1.4 TSI SE which came with the Amundsen Sat Nav. I really like to listen to music in the car so was keen to see what options were available with the Yeti.

Previously I've fitted after market units so that I could connect my iPod. I fitted a Kenwood DNX5220 Sat Nav to my TT and could control the iPod from the steering wheel and the head unit would display the track details, playlists and album art.

I've been reading all threads I could find here relating to transferring music onto SD cards and finally came up with a solution which works well for me. It may be of interest to others in a similar situation.

I use iTunes to organise my music and keep it all in MP3 format arranged in folders by Artist / Album / Track. I had a spare 2GB SD Card and decided to experiment by copying music to it from iTunes. I used iTunes Smart Playlists to select the music to copy to the SD Card. Using Smart Playlists you can dynamically select music to match certain criteria such as Rating, Genre, Size etc.

I created a Smart Playlist which selected music with a rating of 5 stars and a size limit of 1900MB. I then cut and pasted the files from iTunes to the SD card. I tried playing this and the card worked fine in the Amundsen unit. The only disadvantage was that cutting and pasting from iTunes to the SD card looses the folder structure which means that you cannot select particular artist or albums.

To resolve this I found a program called iTunesExport http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ which allows you to select playlists from iTunes and copy them including the files and folder structure directly to the SD card. This program simplifies the procedure, so I bought a 32GB SD card and created a new playlist with a size limit of 31000MB (the free space available on a 32GB SD card).

This works really well on the Amundsen and there is no significant delay when selecting the SD card. I can play all the music in sequence or random or I can play certain artists or albums by selecting the relevant folder. I can also control it from the steering wheel and see the track details on the Amundsen display.

This technique should also work on the Bolero unit. Overall I'm happy with the solution and it's certainly cheaper and quicker than retrofitting an MDI.

Nickel

Do you have an Apple or PC computer? I have iTunes on an Apple iMac and want to do exactly what you have achieved - to transfer my iTunes music to an SD card and be able to locate Artist - Album and track on the Bolero unit. Can you easily see the Artist and Album on the car unit display? How did the ericdaugherty software work, smooth and easy ?

Do you have an Apple or PC computer? I have iTunes on an Apple iMac and want to do exactly what you have achieved - to transfer my iTunes music to an SD card and be able to locate Artist - Album and track on the Bolero unit. Can you easily see the Artist and Album on the car unit display? How did the ericdaugherty software work, smooth and easy ?

Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm in the middle of a house move.

I have a PC so can't help with your iMac. The method works really well for me and I can find my music by Artist or Album. The music is stored in folders with Artists at the top level and Albums below so you need to know who the the album is by when searching.

I mostly use random play. I would have thought it should be easy to achieve a similar result on a Mac. Perhaps someone else with a Mac can help out.

Good luck.

Amundsen+ has bluetooth... we regularly stream tunes to the Amundsen+ in my wifes Monte Carlo from our phones. She has a HTC wildfire, i have a samsung Galaxy S2. Everyso often it might get a little 'buggy' but nowt significant.

The best suggestion i have is ditch itunes, ditch ipod. Invest in a sansa clip+ for personal MP3 playing purposes (its my new fave toy after selling my 120gb ipod classic, its unfeasibly small). Get a massive SD card (amundsens take upto a 32gb i believe) and drop your tunes on that way. Create your own playlists by copying the MP3 file into a folder named as required.

I decided i was sick of Itunes doing ridiculous things with my music and was time to set myself free.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm in the middle of a house move.

I have a PC so can't help with your iMac. The method works really well for me and I can find my music by Artist or Album. The music is stored in folders with Artists at the top level and Albums below so you need to know who the the album is by when searching.

I mostly use random play. I would have thought it should be easy to achieve a similar result on a Mac. Perhaps someone else with a Mac can help out.

Good luck.

Thanks I checked and the software does not work with my G5 iMac running OSX 10.4. Planning to upgrade to new iMac later this year to gain higher speed and storage for photos and video so will get the software then. Current iMac is 6 years old and has been faultless, and, of course, no problem with viruses etc!