Amundsen and AAC

My nice big SD card arrived today and I've been trying it out with the Amundsen in my Octavia. I was under the impression that it will read AAC files but it only seems to find the MP3s. I could be wrong but from digging on Google I found some references to other VAG units playing AAC but I wasn't sure if this was with a newer firmware version or over MDI. So my questions are, will the Amundsend see AAC files with the right firmware, and how do I find my FW version? Also, if this is the case, will it work with SD cards or only over MDI (which I don't have unfortunately). Any help would be appreciated.

Looking through the Amundsen manual

Amundsen manual

I think it's AAC through the MDI only, the SD Card will only display *.mp3 and *.wma files. Unless you can retrofit the MDI I think you're out of luck sorry.

Ah well, mustn't have read that page in the manual properly! It's odd that it will read more formats over MDI than from the SD card. Thanks Chris.

AAC is MDI only, just as on the Columbus. The SD card can read MP3 and unprotected WAV files only.

The reason AAC works on MDI is that it relies on the IPOD thats plugged in to do the decoding (just like an ipod dock) and the audio data is then passed in a format the unit understands, usually 2 channel PCM (in other words WAV).

AAC is MDI only, just as on the Columbus. The SD card can read MP3 and unprotected WAV files only.

The reason AAC works on MDI is that it relies on the IPOD thats plugged in to do the decoding (just like an ipod dock) and the audio data is then passed in a format the unit understands, usually 2 channel PCM (in other words WAV).

Yup, any iPod or iPhone will output the audio through the dock connector, I thought the HU could read AAC, OGG etc over MDI from flash storage or a HDD though? Don't have any plans to get the upgrade however, the SD card is working fine with MP3s so will just have to do the odd bit of transcoding!