New Vrs

Hello

Im 2 weeks into my Vrs ownership and I have to say I'm very impressed. I have picked up a 2004 with 77k on the clock zero history other than old mot mileage ..I've read though the buyers guide and I think any sane person wouldn't touch this car!! Regardless of this I brought it and it is getting a full Cambelt change and service next week.

Dispite this lack of history the car is brilliant ! I've been driving my beloved mk2 golf vr6 for the past 3 years until it met a unfortunate end late December and thought I'll never like anything but old golfs. But this car is so shocked me it's unreal. Interior is very nice and it's really solid even the Missus approves of it!! The only fault I have with the car is the near side headlamp bulb is gone!!

But couple of questions

I'm looking at new wheels will 18x 8.5 wheels fit with no arch issues ? I had 3 years of wheel fitment headaches with the golf I don't want it again!!

What's the best route to get abit more power out of it ?? I'm not 100% sure if the car is remapped only my friend thinks it is.( I will find out next week at the service if it is or isn't) Is it worth a stage one remap if it isn't Mapped already ?? Or go straight to stage 2 with the correct supporting parts ??

Welcome to the forum matey. I too am reasonably new too. Glad your enjoting your new ride and hope its a great car for you. I too was suprised how good these cars are to drive after coming from an 06 VX Signum 2.8T. Personally I think a stage one map is the best bang for you buck. Most stage one maps will give you in the region of 205 bhp and they make the car feel pretty rapid and for about £400-£500 you cant got wrong. You don't seem to get that much more power from stage 2 really, not when you consider the extra cost of exhaust, cat, injectors, FMIC, fuel pump etc etc. This is purely my opinion and I hope I don't get shot down for saying so lol. I'd go for a stage one first and see what you reckon I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Howard

Welcome to Briskoda!

I'd agree with Porkballs, with these cars a Stage 1 map gives a good power increase for not a lot of money. Stage 2 you are basically throwing money at it (FMIC, turbo back exhaust etc) for a few extra bhp, if you're going to do that you might as well go the whole hog and change the turbo etc.

Before any power mods though I'd sort out the handling and braking first, the car is very capable even with the standard 180bhp as long as the handling is improved.

At 77k miles I would've thought only the cambelt and waterpump is the biggie that needs doing but within another 20-30k things like the clutch and suspension will start to get worn out.

stage 1 is all you will need for a daily. Just makes the car more driveable and responsive. Also helps a little with fuel economy.

If you have the car a while and like it more and more thats when you can start putting money in for new parts. Mine isnt far from having the capabilities for stage 2 but i dont think ill do it.....car drives too well as it is and is fast enough to scare me!

Hi Welcome to Briskoda :thumbup: ,

Is it a estate or hatchback?, I agree with the comments about handling mods, its not a small car and is fairly

heavy. The rear end would benefit no end from the addition of a Anti Roll Bar (unless one is already on it).

There are loads of posts about fitting one and the different manufactured ones that are available.

Enjoy your new toy

stage 1 is all you will need for a daily. Just makes the car more driveable and responsive. Also helps a little with fuel economy.

Welcome to briskoda

You can get some very good advice from a few knowledgeable people on this forum, but the above comment re "Also helps a little with fuel economy" is a warning.....lots of the content posted on here is pure bull$hit :)

HTH

Bill.

What's the best route to get abit more power out of it ?? I'm not 100% sure if the car is remapped only my friend thinks it is.( I will find out next week at the service if it is or isn't) Is it worth a stage one remap if it isn't Mapped already ?? Or go straight to stage 2 with the correct supporting parts ??

Best way to check if you are running a map already is to pull the software from the car and have it checked. A dyno power run would also give a good indication.

Stage 1 map is well worth it if not already done. Stage 2 depends on budget.

As an idea, the P-Torque stage 1 remap alone = 210hp and 230lbs/ft torque.

P-Torque stage 2 = 230hp and 265lbs/ft torque. Stage 2 required a turbo back exhaust system.

Ouch!

Ouch indeed bearing in mind I'm not totally wrong. It all depends on the map but a subtle power/torque map can help with economy. The issue comes when you end up putting your foot down more when addicted to your new map

I'm used to 15-20mpg round town in my old vr6 so when I'm seeing 35-40 I'm loving it!!

Stage one sounds nice getting quotes around £250-300 at the minute helps to work at the right place :)

Thank you for your replys so far :) but does no one know about wheel fitment I'm really struggling for information.