Filter element replacement

Ok so at the moment (as I can't find a green cotton filter for the fabia mk 2 rs) I have 3 options for replacing the filter element. K&N , Revo , pipercross. Anyone replaced their element and noticed any difference in sound and overall performance? I know sometimes these give a "placebo" effect but want opinions. Oh and if anyone uses any other air intake methods what their views are too.

There quite expensive though aren't they? I was thinking I'd be better off putting that cash towards a replacement element and a remap. But I need to wait until my engines run in properly before I start mapping the ecu.

Ok so at the moment (as I can't find a green cotton filter for the fabia mk 2 rs) I have 3 options for replacing the filter element. K&N , Revo , pipercross. Anyone replaced their element and noticed any difference in sound and overall performance? I know sometimes these give a "placebo" effect but want opinions. Oh and if anyone uses any other air intake methods what their views are too.

Revo are useualy who skoda partner up with for tuning, although element filters in the VRS are not always the best due to the air box itself being in a bad postion (which yes we are awear of) so a carbon incased filter is usualy the best FORGE do a great induction kit costing around £150 :thumbup:

Dynocomparisons.jpg

Dont bother with the Forge intake. It gives practically no gains at all. Mine is off now and i noticed no loss of performance after removing it.

Is that dyno done with any cooling mods? Id be content with 236hp for a wee while till iv got the money to upgrade cooling and internals etc

Interesting that the power plateaus and tails off signicantly after 5.5k. Assuming it is breathing as well as it can, what is limiting the engine from continuing to follow a similar profile to previously? If that could be filled you would be over 250bhp! Injectors? Heatsoak? Is it that it needs further re-mapping to take full advantage of the intake?

Hurdy reckons the dyno operator lifted off early because it had peaked. To me that looks like a temperature issue. Prob had the exhaust gas temps get to high and it dumped fuel in to cool it. If you could see the afr for that run you would be able to tell straightaway

Hmm would an evo type bonnet help any with the cooling along with opening up the front grill a bit? Some of the machines we have at work have panneling to direct airflow around the engine to cool it better wonder if that idea would work hmmmm

Hmm would an evo type bonnet help any with the cooling along with opening up the front grill a bit? Some of the machines we have at work have panneling to direct airflow around the engine to cool it better wonder if that idea would work hmmmm

It would no doubt help with the overall temps of the engine bays, but if you want to reduce the temperatures in the piston and exhaust gases then its and intercooler, water meth injection.

Dynocomparisons.jpg

Dont bother with the Forge intake. It gives practically no gains at all. Mine is off now and i noticed no loss of performance after removing it.

The forge intake isn't realy there for power gains its there as a cooler air feed into the turbo ect basicly jus running cooler with no restrictions ready for a decent map or any other performance kit, it will be able to run cooler and safer,

The forge intake isn't realy there for power gains its there as a cooler air feed into the turbo ect basicly jus running cooler with no restrictions ready for a decent map or any other performance kit, it will be able to run cooler and safer,

The whole purpose of an intake is to reduce the restriction to the flow of air into the combustion system. The whole purpose of reducing that restriction is to gain power.

Of course cooler air is also a positive by product as it is more dense hence more air/fuel can be combusted = more power. But thats a very small change in temperature and likely negligible. If you want to cool the inlet charge you use a more efficient intercooler or water meth injection.

FWIW the stock intake didnt run any hotter with regards to intake temps than the Forge intake, so if as you say the Forge intake is only there for cooling the intake charge, then it failed in that respect as well.

My car is mapped and running an intercooler and downpipe yet the Forge proved to yield no gains at all, and believe me, ive had alot of intakes across my other cars. Only 3 have yielded nothing. The carbonio which is essentially a carbon scoop and a panel filter, the pipercross venom got so hot it actually lost power and this new Forge intake which made n o difference and according to my tuner datalogging showed it wasnt working very well at the top end and had alot of restriction. Also consider that larger gains are experienced on remapped cars when you upgrade the intake becasue they are already asking so much more than what a stock map.

Compare that to the ITG Maxogen, which is also enclosed but utilises a much larger oiled foam filter, and that provides big noticeable gains. Yes its more expensive but what your getting is a specially designed filter material, designed in house, proven in Motorsport at all levels including F1 and was trialed on mapped car to ensure it made gains before release (developed by ITG with REVO)

Now the Forge intake is a mish mash of parts. The filter and housing is bought in rebranded. Who knows the filter material etc, but what i do know is its not worth £185 and doesn't provide the gains i would expect of a Performance Intake

Vrsy youl be able to help me with this....im looking into making my own intake at some point but need a good filter to base it around what do you reccomend? I was thinking a large dual cone green cotton

An open filter on these engines will not be a good idea because the engine bay temperatures are very very high.

A dual cone filter? How would you set that up and would they be open?

I would be looking into what ITG have on offer and seeing if you could buy the parts cheaper off ebay to sort it yourself.

Their filters are fantastic and they have loads of housing solutions. You can get the ducting and hoses pretty much anywhere

plenty of options to customise how you want it

61.jpg

ab65h.jpg

bab65.jpg

0001836_400__76757_zoom.jpg

Or you have the duty Forge style.

805.jpg

The last ITG i had on my Octavia was awesome and gave HUGE gains. this was open filter but managed this by sealing the surrounding area with a foam material forming a cold high pressure area arond the filter that was segregated from the hot engine bay air.

ITG_Maxogen_Induction_Kit_-_VW_Golk_GTi_Mk5_KO3_Turbo.jpg

YOu can pick up an aluminium inline filter housing thats capable of flowing enough air for £300 for only £160 My link