Update - living with Superb Greenline 1.9

Hi everyone

I do not post on here very much, I am just one year into my 24 month contract hire on my Greenline 1.9 and just about 35000 miles - all trouble-free ! Apart from some odd dashboard rattles (which it no longer appears to do - and for which I blamed the quite gruff 1.9 engine anyway) this car has been absolutely brilliant to live with. It effortlessly swallows up the motorway journey day in/day out and I really wish I could take it on a proper long continental journey to fully test it's mile-crunching ability. I normally see a whopping 70 PLUS mpg (down to just below 70 mpg some journeys recently due to the heater/wipers etc all running this time of year). I have seen 80 mpg at the end of a motorway journey on a few occasions, normally in the good weather where limited electrics are running - that is quite incredible for a car of this size, the Skoda design engineers must have worked some long nights on these models to achieve this sort of fuel performance.

One long life service so far, which the car indicated it required at 18000 miles, so it is due to signal again anytime soon. Still running oe tyres - I have seen up to 45000 miles on new tyres previously and I think these will do that by the look of them. Some people are surprised at the mpg and tyre life I get from a car - I just drive smooth and within the speed limits - it's easy (occasionally give it some berries but quite rare). Always amazed watching how other people drive, no wonder they complain about fuel consumption and maintenance costs.......

I was a bit reticent at first going down to a measly 105 bhp from the re-tuned 1.9 PD engine but it works extremely well. It is only in occasional circumstances where you feel it could do with the extra wallop of the 140 bhp cars, but then the outright bhp is irrelevant most of the time for me when the car is sat on cruise at 70 mph.

Just thought I would post this info as the Skoda Superb is totally brilliant in my opinion. I do not think I will be going back to VW after this. Can't wait to end this contract in a way - as the big lease firms seem to have some 170 bhp SE models going on very cheap deals recently, I bet they are all gone in 12 months when I am up for renewal ....... doh!!

ps, before someone posts my on-board computer is wrong on the mpg, it is NOT - a full tank gives a range up to 750 miles (I have never managed to shovel in the whole 62/63 litres capacity that Skoda claim, I am sure it nearer a 55 litre tank....)

All the best

HighFive

Edited by HighFive

I echo your sentiments over the 1.9 Greenline. I love mine. I have only just changed my original tyres before christmas with about 30000 miles on. Like you one service. I don't do to many motorway journeys but always enjoy seeing 72-73mpg figures on the display. As mine already built and we got it in about 6 weeks as opposed to 6 months, the only things i miss are heated mirrors and a decent radio (with DAB but as there is no Skoda option i couldn't have one anyway)

I echo your sentiments over the 1.9 Greenline. I love mine. I have only just changed my original tyres before christmas with about 30000 miles on. Like you one service. I don't do to many motorway journeys but always enjoy seeing 72-73mpg figures on the display. As mine already built and we got it in about 6 weeks as opposed to 6 months, the only things i miss are heated mirrors and a decent radio (with DAB but as there is no Skoda option i couldn't have one anyway)

Are you sure your 1.9 Greenline hasn't got heated door mirrors? I thought mine hadn't until I noticed the selector knob for the mirror controls was not turned to the heat position (2009 model) I also echo everyones sentiment, the MPG is astounding from this 'gruff' old 1.9

Perfect morning to test the newly discovered heated mirrors, they are in fact there. Maybe I should look in the handbook!! Thanks Rosesteve as I would not have looked for them without you saying. Its ok I have only had the car 18months :p

Perfect morning to test the newly discovered heated mirrors, they are in fact there. Maybe I should look in the handbook!! Thanks Rosesteve as I would not have looked for them without you saying. Its ok I have only had the car 18months :p

Same here too - I only discovered mine last week when I finally got fed up of having to clean the mirrors myself and realised that turning the mirror control to the heated position and they were cleared in moments......!!! :rofl: Only had my car 12 months :giggle:

Oh dear, only 61 mpg this morning, the usual economy ruined by queueing on the motorway for ages and just about all electrics running due to the adverse conditions. 61 mpg on a really bad day, how about that ?!! Somehow in lastnights terrible conditions it breezed another 70 mpg going home...... How can a car this big and heavy do that !!!!!!? :thumbup:

PS - my car just signalled this morning on the dash displlay, it's getting ready for the 2nd LongLife service - which will be at just around 38,000 miles. OE tyres still in great condition but will report when they are near the limit. If I can get them to 45000 miles I will be quite pleased.

Edited by HighFive

:o mpg figures are amazing do you get the figure just from the computer or do you ever work it out the old way? Even if it were 10% out still amazing from such a massive car. :thumbup: Starting to tempt me I wonder if the estate does as well?

Brim to brim I regularly get 55-56 a mix of dual & single carriage way A roads not many Motorway miles. I can't see the Estate being much different its the same car with a bit on the back. Love the car and love the little effect it has to your tax code (as a company car driver). My gaffer got a Volvo V50 Estate 1.6D2 at the same time as me with them claiming 70 odd mpg and he is looking at not much more than 45mpg brim to brim, very poor and it is the smallest estate I have ever seen. To say he paid 4k more than the Superb he secretly is envious of it.

Brim to brim I regularly get 55-56 a mix of dual & single carriage way A roads not many Motorway miles. I can't see the Estate being much different its the same car with a bit on the back. Love the car and love the little effect it has to your tax code (as a company car driver). My gaffer got a Volvo V50 Estate 1.6D2 at the same time as me with them claiming 70 odd mpg and he is looking at not much more than 45mpg brim to brim, very poor and it is the smallest estate I have ever seen. To say he paid 4k more than the Superb he secretly is envious of it.

I'm not surprised he is envious of your Superb

The Volvo V50 is just a re-skinned Ford Focus Estate and not even the latest Focus

• 4 months later...

Sorry for my ignorance, what are OE tyres?

I am about to order the Superb Greenline - and the comments about the tyre life sound like an added bonus!

Thanks

Sorry for my ignorance, what are OE tyres?

I am about to order the Superb Greenline - and the comments about the tyre life sound like an added bonus!

Thanks

I believe OE stands for Original Equipment.

Wish my tyres were fairing better @ 20k they are about ready. Noticed grip was significantly poorer in the recent wet conditions, more than usual.

Will sort some new ones next week.

Wish my tyres were fairing better @ 20k they are about ready. Noticed grip was significantly poorer in the recent wet conditions, more than usual.

Will sort some new ones next week.

Hi Coops,

20,000 life expectancy for your front tyres is reasonable for a 140CR. The front tyres on my GL after 27,500 miles are 4mm, while the rear are on 6mm.

The wet and dry grip level of the OE Eco Conti's has been quite impressive.