High pitch squeal from heater

I run my none climatic heater at 22 and at position 1.

Recently when turning left or right a high pitch squeal has started, I wondered what it was at first then turned of the heater and it went away.

Now when I start the car you can hear it starting to squeal so turn the heater full on then back but it still squeals when turning

What should I check out and how

Are you sure the noise is from the heater?

It might be the auxillary drive belt (fan belt) slipping.

The power steering is electric which draws a lot of power which puts a heavy load on the alternator.

The same can be said for when you start the car, you're putting the charge back into the battery as well as running the heater.

I don't know how the drive belt is tensioned but it might be a simple job.

Bearings in the fan, mine does the same. Just haven't had the time to lift it out yet and give a spray of silicone.

Is it an easy job to get at it?? and remove

Is it an easy job to get at it?? and remove

The fan is yes.

Like everything when your working on the car you need hands the size of a childs to make it easy but with a bit of inventive angle positions its a stright forward and quick job.

The fan is located behind the kick panel underneath the glove box. Remove the kick pannel and it will be on the far left hand side. Take the pannel off (really easy) and try turning the fan on and off and see if the noise is coming from "round plastic thing" which is the fan for the whole heating/cooling system.

To remove the fan it twist locks in place so twist it and pull it down. Reverse to re-fit. It is as easy as it sounds apart from the angle you have to get it out and back in B)

If you need the part number its: iK2 820 015 G but a D version will also fit. Approx £250 for the fan only.

Mechanic is getting me a second hand unit, they had the fan out yesterday, the problem is the bearing which is where the squeak is coming from are sealed. no way to successfully lubricate that

easy enough to take out and swap in a second hand unit

will keep you informed

Ok so my heater fan gave up the ghost yesterday,

bugger, however found the part number and found this place on EBAY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Skoda-Octavia-Heater-Fan-Motor-1K2820015G-/160605200627?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2564d0e0f3

£130 inc postage, brand new

• 1 month later...
Ok so my heater fan gave up the ghost yesterday, bugger, however found the part number and found this place on EBAY http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Skoda-Octavia-Heater-Fan-Motor-1K2820015G-/160605200627?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2564d0e0f3 £130 inc postage, brand new

Thats a good link and exactly where I bought mine from.

By the way its actually a VW dealership - Hereford Volkswagon Group

I spoke to Andrew on 01432 376233. A very helpful chap.