loft space ventilation

2SkodaFamily

Hi,

I've got one of those roof vents that vents either side of one of the ridge tiles. The problem is, my roof runs roughly north to south, so when its rainy and windy, the prevailing wind blows the rain in the vent and makes the loft space wet. The previous owner has laid a large square of plastic down to stop the water from soaking through the loft insulation and soaking the ceiling.

It strikes me as a pretty crappy piece of design but I'm reluctant to block it totally for obvious reasons. What can I do instead?

Thanks,

Martin

Pics, hope they come out sufficiently. Done on a mobile so quality not the best.

First picture is taken from the east. The second is taken from the west, where the prevailing wind seems to take the rain in.

You can't really see it very well, but there's a meshed gap about 2 or 3 inches high by about 12 inches.

post-29838-0-45494900-1328364824_thumb.jpg

post-29838-0-91067500-1328364845_thumb.jpg

Pics, hope they come out sufficiently. Done on a mobile so quality not the best.

First picture is taken from the east. The second is taken from the west, where the prevailing wind seems to take the rain in.

You can't really see it very well, but there's a meshed gap about 2 or 3 inches high by about 12 inches.

We had a ventalation problem with our roof a few years back so the cut circules out of the felt and put little plastic vents on the inside leaving the external slates alone. Might be an idea for you?

If they are up there and not connected to a Soil vent pipe, boiler or extract fan they are to naturally ventilate the loft and eliminate the build-up of condensation. It is possible that the builder has installed the incorrect ridge vents as they look more like terminal vents. Your neighbour has them too and do they have the same problem?

You could get a builder to swap them for weatherproof items, you just need to make sure they provide sufficient ventilation.

They could be incorrectly fitted/wrong type for tiles....I have Redland "cambrian slates" and the correct continuos ridge vents on an exposed east to west ridge...never had any problems....... B)

• 3 weeks later...

As your roof has eaves, how about blocking off that badly desgined thing on the ridge and putting a fan in the roofspace, exhauting downwards through the eaves? Run the fan from a solar panel and it'll vent more heat in summer when you want to get rid of it and less in winter when you want to retain it as insulation.