Guide: Changing the MAF sensor on Fabia 1.9tdi

sausage roll

My Check Engine Light has been on for a week with a noticeable loss of power.

A scan revealed the fault code P0101 = Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem.

I cleaned my MAF on Sunday but to no avail. The CEL lamp was still illuminated with the same code so I knew it was time to change it for a new one.

I ordered an OEM one from Euro car parts (using the 25% discount code :thumbup:) and it arrived today.

61ac570a-1.jpg

I thought as I was changing it over, I may as well compose a guide for anyone else who has this problem or needs to remove their MAF to clean it. It only takes 5-10 mins max and is an easy job.

The tools you will need are:

1 x Phillips head screwdriver

1 x flat head screwdriver

1 x pair of grips / clamp

1 x can of electrical connector cleaner to clean connectors (and MAF if necessary)

1 x new Maf Sensor (if replacing)

bb77ec9b.jpg

Here is the code from the side of the box for the one I ordered. It is OEM spec but half the price of the Bosch one.

ec503d42.jpg

First of all locate your MAF sensor. It is located at the left hand side of your air filter box. It runs between the filter box and the intake pipe (circled in red below).

maf1.jpg

The first step is to remove the intake pipe from the side of the MAF. Using the grips or clamp, squeeze together the hose clip (circled in red below) and ease the intake pipe away from the MAF taking care not to damage or split the pipe.

maf3.jpg

Once you have done it should look something like this.

7f67dee0.jpg

Next I found it easier to remove the top of the air box to give me ease of access to remove the screws holding the MAF in place. To do this remove the screws on the right hand side of the plastic air box (circled in red below) using the Phillips head screwdriver.

maf2.jpg

Once you have removed the screws you can move the top of the air box and unscrew the screws holding the MAF in place (circled in red below) using the Phillips screwdriver.

maf4.jpg

Once these screws are out you need to carefully remove the MAF taking care not to damage the air box. Turn the MAF upside down and remove the connector clip (circled in red below) using the flat head screwdriver.

maf5.jpg

Once you have removed the connector you can clean the female connector part (circled in red below) using the connector cleaner. Please ensure that this is completely dry before proceeding to the next step!

maf6.jpg

The next step is to open up you new MAF sensor and fit it following the exact procedure described above but in reverse :thumbup:

01d5340f.jpg

Once refitted your MAF will look just like original one did. See split pic below.

a7fd74bf.jpg

maf7.jpg

Once all is fitted start the car and drive away to see your CEL switch itself off. Hey presto, job done!

• Like 1

Cant you buy the maf sensor seperately instead of the whole housing, I mean you can remove it using the torq screws, I cannot see why you have to buy the whole plastic casing,or is it just a way to ramp up the price, a bit like fiat did with my brava. the led third brake light came as an outer, ( the lense, and an inner , the bulb strip) but you had to buy as a unit, if so why sell in two halves? Skoda will say it is just so you can clean it, but you should be able to just but the "blade" maf sensor :yes:

Cant you buy the maf sensor seperately instead of the whole housing, I mean you can remove it using the torq screws, I cannot see why you have to buy the whole plastic casing,or is it just a way to ramp up the price, a bit like fiat did with my brava. the led third brake light came as an outer, ( the lense, and an inner , the bulb strip) but you had to buy as a unit, if so why sell in two halves? Skoda will say it is just so you can clean it, but you should be able to just but the "blade" maf sensor :yes:

You can just buy the sensor if you want, but there is only £5 difference between sensor and sensor with housing. Plus the fact that housing was full of crap when I cleaned it the first time so I felt a new clean housing for the extra £5 was well worth it.

A new filter wouldn't have gone a miss too! emoticon-0110-tongueout.gifemoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

That filter has only been in 6 months Mike!!! :D

All right then star drive if you want to be pedantic.

To be fair Alan, he does have a point.

If you tried to just replace the sensor and went out with a torx you would be stuffed.

You would need the specific 5 star security screwdriver bit like the one in this pic...

kl-4064-601k.jpg

Yes I have all the types, it was 3 years since I took mine out, and it wasnt about which bit sett it was, more about can you buy it seperately , weather a bit better now, see about the meet in the morning. :thumbup: