Wishbone Bush Shot!

Mr OCD

Hi All,

The Wife complained about a creaking noise from her car last night so took a quick look and could see the front wheel moving slightly... the wishbone is actually moving and reading up it seems the bush that is shot is very common to fail on the Fabia vRS so I'm needing to replace it ASAP as the car is used daily.

Apparently Skoda do a revised bush now but you can also use Seat Leon Cupra bushes instead? - Does anyone have a part number as having a Leon Cupra myself I think I have some spare but if not have a good supplier who can source cheaply.

Finally just how difficult is it to fit? - I've seen the guide on here and it doesn't look too bad but I wont have time to make up a tool to press the new console bush in... any other options - Obviously I'm a bit concerned getting the hammer out :D

Cheers!

I think you want Mk4 Ibiza Cupra bushes, rather than Leon Cupra ones.

fabdavrav has done a post with the pros and cons of each bush type, which I think included part numbers. I dunno what the thread title was to search for it, but he usually has the link handy so I'm sure he'll paste it in here himself shortly!

I think you want Mk4 Ibiza Cupra bushes, rather than Leon Cupra ones.

fabdavrav has done a post with the pros and cons of each bush type, which I think included part numbers. I dunno what the thread title was to search for it, but he usually has the link handy so I'm sure he'll paste it in here himself shortly!

Excellent thanks ... :)

Trouble I have is the garage I use cannot fit them for a couple of weeks and with the wishbone moving about I want it sorted ASAP. It's just fitting the new bushes I'm concerned about ... just how tight are they to get in?

I have a brake caliper winding tool... was thinking of using that to help get the bushes in... :D

I remember reading in the past that SuperPro are easier to fit than other bushes due to their two piece nature, although that was when I was reading about rear beam knocking on my Leon, not sure whether that design carries over to their other bushes or whether that's the only two piece design they do.

I remember reading in the past that SuperPro are easier to fit than other bushes due to their two piece nature, although that was when I was reading about rear beam knocking on my Leon, not sure whether that design carries over to their other bushes or whether that's the only two piece design they do.

SuperPro seem to be pretty expensive though... Awesome GTi want nearly 100 notes!

The Ibiza Cupra bushes are £19 for the pair ...

Yay!.........correct info post mentioned and then link provided by above H.H.

Good team work there..... :thumbup:

You lot are quick this morning.....mine you I think I'm just slow tho' this morning.... :giggle:

Then you'll need this post...3rd one down is my BIG post......also has info on setting the subframe up.....if you need it!!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/165720-fabia-nut-and-bolt-tightening-torques/

B)

Thank you Sir ...

Any advice on fitting the PFlow bush?

Thank you Sir ...

Any advice on fitting the PFlow bush?

They have an instruction sheet...brief...but with the other instructions etc in the Haynes manuals, and on here....the only other thing too add is use proper copper grease to well lub the join between the black and the purple parts.....I also used just a small amount of CG to fit the individual parts into their places...........you will need to use a socket and hammer to tightly fit the black part on the wishbone hexshaft....and then alot of force to get the wishbone back into the console unit...other than that all ok... B)

EDIT ....I knew what you meant!!

They have an instruction sheet...brief...but with the other instructions etc in the Haynes manuals, and on here....the only other thing too add is use proper copper grease to well lub the join between the black and the purple parts.....I also used just a small amount of CG to fit the individual parts into their places...........you will need to use a socket and hammer to tightly fit the black part on the wishbone hexshaft....and then alot of force to get the wishbone back into the console unit...other than that all ok... B)

EDIT ....I knew what you meant!!

Ah excellent ... so its best to install the black part of the kit on to the wishbone first before inserting into the purple / console part?

It will be well lubed! :D

May have a crack tonight in the garage ... although need a new hacksaw perhaps to get old bush out!

Ah excellent ... so its best to install the black part of the kit on to the wishbone first before inserting into the purple / console part?

It will be well lubed! :D

May have a crack tonight in the garage ... although need a new hacksaw perhaps to get old bush out!

1. YES

2. Good

3. yes you will need new blades....also using a old screwdriver use as a chisel and break the plastic lip of the old bush and try to force between the console and the bush to break the plastic sleeve of the bush that the rubber part is bonded to......don't let it dig into the aluminium console as it will mark it....you will see when you have the wishbone out... B)

Hi All,

The Wife complained about a creaking noise from her car last night so took a quick look and could see the front wheel moving slightly... the wishbone is actually moving and reading up it seems the bush that is shot is very common to fail on the Fabia vRS so I'm needing to replace it ASAP as the car is used daily.

Apparently Skoda do a revised bush now but you can also use Seat Leon Cupra bushes instead? - Does anyone have a part number as having a Leon Cupra myself I think I have some spare but if not have a good supplier who can source cheaply.

Finally just how difficult is it to fit? - I've seen the guide on here and it doesn't look too bad but I wont have time to make up a tool to press the new console bush in... any other options - Obviously I'm a bit concerned getting the hammer out :D

Cheers!

Having tried (and failed!) this job, I have one question. What do people use to loosen the bolt that goes through the front bushes? I had the car on axel stands and was using the longest bar I had and they wouldn't shift. I figured if I mangle the head then no-one would get it out and decided to let my local shop do it with an air wrench.

Having tried (and failed!) this job, I have one question. What do people use to loosen the bolt that goes through the front bushes? I had the car on axel stands and was using the longest bar I had and they wouldn't shift. I figured if I mangle the head then no-one would get it out and decided to let my local shop do it with an air wrench.

Spray penetrating oil into the rear of the bolt hole and around the bolt (several times and allow to soak in...standard practice really).......then use a 3ft long long breaker bar on the correct size socket....no problem.... B)

1. YES

2. Good

3. yes you will need new blades....also using a old screwdriver use as a chisel and break the plastic lip of the old bush and try to force between the console and the bush to break the plastic sleeve of the bush that the rubber part is bonded to......don't let it dig into the aluminium console as it will mark it....you will see when you have the wishbone out... B)

Will buy a new hacksaw then ... had a load of chisels to use and get the rest out!

Currently in the middle of this ... its pretty simple so far ... the bushes are the original two point bushes so 110k / 7yrs is not bad going but I'd imagine the chassis will feel so much nicer once its all done.

Got the PFlex kit for £39.50 from Awesome GTi.

Just got the remainder (the middle fell out when I removed wishbone) of the bush to remove with a hacksaw... but thats for the morning as need new blades.

Hi,

Sorry to threat-jack this post but I didn't think creating a new thread would valid my question.

Has anyone changed the front wishbone bushes as well? Reason I ask is I'm re-newing my wishbones and wanted to know if the Powerflex = PFF85-201 units are any good? according the a tread linked to in this section people have reported problems.

Hi,

Sorry to threat-jack this post but I didn't think creating a new thread would valid my question.

Has anyone changed the front wishbone bushes as well? Reason I ask is I'm re-newing my wishbones and wanted to know if the Powerflex = PFF85-201 units are any good? according the a tread linked to in this section people have reported problems.

My post my report.......as I stated the problem was not all Pf's fault.........The OEM bush has a thicker metal sleeve .....the Super pro one is slightly thinner......and the Pf one is the thinnest.

This has NOTHING to do with strength.......all are strong!!!!!

The problem is that when you put the pivot bolt in and tighten it you are clamping this metal sleeve totally solid between the aluminium console at the back and the sheet steel subframe at the front. The rubber/poly part of the bush rotates around the sleeve.

With the thinner walled sleeve (Pf) it can "eat" it's way into the sheet steel subframe and the alu console........this causes it to enlarge the hole at the front. This mainly happens because the bolts are not tight enough (in my case caused by the garage as I had a back injury at the time and got them to do the work)

This is why I recommend the SuperPro ones as they use thick walled sleeves (more contact area on the ends!)

B)

bush8.jpg

i fitted them to mine and it made no noticeable difference at all, so unless they are completely shot in yours you are probably better off sticking with the oem bushes in the front of the track control arms... to get the old bush out i just used a piece of m12 stud and some larger sockets as spacers and wound them out using 2 nuts, the replacement ones just push in with your fingers and a bit of lube :wonder: