turbo issues?

Hi there everyone, this is my first post on here so I hope i can get some useful hints/answers.

When I went out in the car today, I had normal boost in first gear, however in all the other gears the turbo just wasn't coming in and I had a general lack of power at all, just about nothing happened when I put my foot down. then 10 minutes later when returning everything seemed to be ok!!!! is this the first sign of my turbo packing in or do we think other things may be causing this?????

Hope somenone can help!!

By the waqy it's a Skoda Octavia L+K 04 plate

Hi there everyone, this is my first post on here so I hope i can get some useful hints/answers.

When I went out in the car today, I had normal boost in first gear, however in all the other gears the turbo just wasn't coming in and I had a general lack of power at all, just about nothing happened when I put my foot down. then 10 minutes later when returning everything seemed to be ok!!!! is this the first sign of my turbo packing in or do we think other things may be causing this?????

Hope somenone can help!!

By the waqy it's a Skoda Octavia L+K 04 plate

I assume its a Diesel, if yes very common, turbo has variable vanes & they get gummed up, stick & the car tries to overboost, tyhe ECU reads this & drops the car into limp mode, as soon as you switch it off & back on it clears it back to normal until the next time.

There is avery good thread on here about it but I cant find it, hopefully someone will direct you. If you take it to a dealer he will say new turbo. They can be sometimes cleaned. There are cheaper sources if it needs replacing & on 2 cars Ive used s/hand turbos with no issues. the beauty of VAG cars is the same turbos are used on many Vw, Audi & seat models so loads of s/hand ones

I assume its a Diesel, if yes very common, turbo has variable vanes & they get gummed up, stick & the car tries to overboost, tyhe ECU reads this & drops the car into limp mode, as soon as you switch it off & back on it clears it back to normal until the next time.

There is avery good thread on here about it but I cant find it, hopefully someone will direct you. If you take it to a dealer he will say new turbo. They can be sometimes cleaned. There are cheaper sources if it needs replacing & on 2 cars Ive used s/hand turbos with no issues. the beauty of VAG cars is the same turbos are used on many Vw, Audi & seat models so loads of s/hand ones

is it possible to clean the valves or is it cheaper to just get a new turbo???

is it possible to clean the valves or is it cheaper to just get a new turbo???

New Turbo's from a Skoda dealer use to be around a Grand so thats a last resort.

There may be a few other causes so worth getting it confirmed, a few related threads below for you to read. There are cleaners available details in one of the posts & you can get the turbo cleaned profesionally if you dont fancy doing it yourself. Its a very common problem so there are also many firms doing refurbed turbos or some that will refurb yours BUT make sure it comes with a decent guarantee. Turbos work on incredibly close tolerances & a badly refurbed one may give you problems a few thousand miles down the road.

If you ever get huge clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust STOP immediately. It means the turbo is failing internally & the car is starting to run on its own engine oil. As the supply increases the revs will rise & continue to rise until something inside the engine breaks. switching the ignition off wont stop it & the rev limiter wont work either as this works on regulating the diesel supply. This rarely happens but I only mention it as I had it on a refurbed turbo, the car looked like it was doing a red arrow fly pass but luckily I caught it in time

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/215905-death-of-a-turbo/page__p__2542700__hl__vane__fromsearch__1#entry2542700

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/174849-19tdi-sudden-power-loss/page__p__2112489__hl__vane__fromsearch__1#entry2112489

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/212079-power-loss-when-under-load/page__hl__gummed__st__20

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/157601-tdi-turbo-entering-limp-mode/page__p__1947045__hl__gummed__fromsearch__1#entry1947045

cheers stuart, I'll monitor it, but those links look good info.

fingers crossed, it looks like I might have to give the car some heavy right boot a bit more often to help!!!!!