Is it ok to drive the car with a popped boost hose?

Benjiman

So I replaced a leaking boost hose at the weekend - the elbow bend coming out the bottom of the intercooler, only for it to pop off with a hell of a bang this evening whilst joining the M32 enthusiastically.

As it wasn't far, I limped home and have looked and confirmed it is the pipe that I replaced at the weekend, that has popped clean off the intercooler with clip still in place on the hose.

Two questions:

Should I have stopped immediately - could I have damaged anything further? I can't easily get underneath the car at home, so will need to take it somewhere to fix..

Is this the pipe I can use self tappers in for a more permanent join?

Cheers,

Ben

The boost pipe popped off my Mk4 golf, quite common tbh and i had to limp the 4 miles back home, thankfully all down hill so there was not much throttle needed

I dont think you can cause real serious harm doing a couple of gentle miles

I put mine back on with windscreen sealant :giggle: never thought of using self tappers!

One thing i made sure of though is cover the open pipe with tape of some sort, just to make sure nothing gets up there!

It will be fine to limp home, will sound much louder than before as you're now running effectively without an air filter.

Had this a couple of times. It is funny the amount of smoke that pours out the back emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes it is fine but just take it steady.

As said above it will be pulling in unfiltered air which isn't good for the bottom hose. Best to try and secure it so that it is at least getting the air through the pipe (just not under pressure).

I had my top IC hose pop off and tied it on with some rope just so it didn't sound so bad and so the air could circulate through the pipe. Then just drove to the dealer for the new pipe while avoiding getting the revs up to 1800rpm and keeping off boost.

Phil

The boost pipe popped off my Mk4 golf, quite common tbh and i had to limp the 4 miles back home, thankfully all down hill so there was not much throttle needed

I dont think you can cause real serious harm doing a couple of gentle miles

I put mine back on with windscreen sealant :giggle: never thought of using self tappers!

One thing i made sure of though is cover the open pipe with tape of some sort, just to make sure nothing gets up there!

does it leak any boost using windscreen sealant as ive got a samco pipe but its got a slight leak because the pipe wont stay fully in even with tie wraps

does it leak any boost using windscreen sealant as ive got a samco pipe but its got a slight leak because the pipe wont stay fully in even with tie wraps

tie wraps will not work for that kind of pressure, what engine have you got?

Windscreen slealant works a treat but mine was only a temp fix, didt the Samco hose come with fixtures and fittings?

tie wraps will not work for that kind of pressure, what engine have you got?

Windscreen slealant works a treat but mine was only a temp fix, didt the Samco hose come with fixtures and fittings?

it was a direct replacment for the bottom 90 degree pipe at the bottom of the engine(part of the kit on ebay)but its got a slight whistle on yea it's a vrs so a 1.9tdi 170bhp

Edited by bluepassion

Electrical will just peel off once it gets damp, have you got any pics? Im on about working on a VW here so they might of had different clips ect but i doubt it.

The only reason i had to put sealant on mine was because the intercooler had cracked where the hose fits on so i couldt just put a new clip on but if your just swapping over the hoses i dont see why a new clip wouldt fit :)

Mine had been sealed up with some kind of sealant. It was a temporary fix as it went in the end. I think it had been like that for a while though as there was a fair bit of oil around it etc.

Phil

Update:

Managed to re-park the car on the kerb by my house, so I could get under it. Took the tray off, and started to re-fit.

First attempt: Hose just wouldn't line up right with the lugs, even with massive amounts of play from the turbo end of the pipe the elbow piece was connected to (I guess this isn't right either?) I tried me best, and it made a feeble click as it went home. Started him up and revved a little - POP, off again.

Lame.

2nd attempt: Detached the elbow completely, attached to intercooler first, good click this time. Then attached other end. Test revving seemed ok. Tie wrapped the i/c connection, and left undertray off. No pressurized explosions yet. :thumbup:

Fingers crossed. But I'm leaving my undertray off for now!