Octavia Buying Tips

Grayedout

I am currently looking at changing ny Felicia for something else and really like this look of this Octavia on eBay. Anything specific I should look out for?

eBay

How does the 1.6 cope with the big car?

What sort of mpg should I expect?

What's the Auto transmission like? Any known problems?

Is the radio interchangable or is it built into the dash?

Any tips will be gratefully received :rofl:

There's a buying guide for the VRS that I did which is pinned at the top of the Octavia I forum, a lot of that will apply to the 1.6 (not engine stuff obviously)

I'd expect the 1.6 to get high 30's mpg possibly 40mpg on a long motorway run.

It's a W Reg but only done 52,000 miles so you might find condensation under the oil filler cap from lots of short journeys where the engine hasn't had a chance to warm up properly.

If you can stretch to a 1.9TDI I'd consider that over the 1.6 as they have plenty of grunt to shift the car and can do 50mpg upwards. They are pricier than the petrols though unless you get a high miler (which isn't necessarily that risky).

It will have the Symphony radio fitted which you can replace with any single-DIN aftermarket radio (Kenwood radio keys to remove it), or pop out the cubbyhole as well and you can replace the radio and cubby hole with a double-DIN touchscreen radio if you like. You can also get a Skoda 6 CD changer which fits in the boot and connects to the Symphony head unit.