The Octy Has Had Its First Spruce Up!

Managed to give her her first wash today, spruce up with my autoglym SRP/Carlack 68 Nano System Care mix and wax with Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid!

Here she is washed and kind of dried, didn't have a massive amount of time in my Tea-break at work!

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

My SRP/NSC mix on the bonnet, half buffed off.

DSC_0172.jpg

And the finished piccies

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

There is loads of contamination on her, but time is short in the coming month as I'm best man at a wedding at the end of the month, so I have suit fittings in Manchester and 2 stagg do's in cardiff. Tomorrow at work I will be trying to sort the exhausts with autosol and wire wool. Will show you how I get on, but fear it is beyond repair!

Thanks for looking!

Looks very nice mate, you done a great job :thumbup:

Loving the alloy colour choice too, really suits it B)

The exhaust should come up ok too, with the Autosol and wirewool combo! Mine looked exactly the same as yours.

Now they look as they should, shiney! :)

Rog

Looks very nice mate, you done a great job :thumbup: Loving the alloy colour choice too, really suits it B) The exhaust should come up ok too, with the Autosol and wirewool combo! Mine looked exactly the same as yours. Now they look as they should, shiney! :) Rog

Thanks buddy, they came up well in the end, a couple of stubborn area's around the ends but overall very happy with them

Before

DSC_0160.jpg

After

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Prefer standard wheels and it would look the dogs...

fair one mate, it came with them and I wasn't keen at first but they have grown on me and I'm really pleased with them!

Thanks for the kind words, will post when I've given it the works with the rotary and some scholl concepts polish! :rock:

• Like 1

Thanks buddy, they came up well in the end, a couple of stubborn area's around the ends but overall very happy with them

Nice one mate, they look loads better! Mine also has some stobborn corrosion marks, but from a distance they look spot on!

That is what happens when previous owners don't maintain their car to a Detailers standard.

Thanks for the kind words, will post when I've given it the works with the rotary and some scholl concepts polish! :rock:

Sounds good, looks like you have some great detailing skills! I hope you know what you are doing with the rotary, as you don't want to make any mistakes! Could be costly!

Do you have/use a PTG (Paint Thickness Guage)? If you don't, my advice is to go easy!! It's always best to air on the safe side! Sorry if I'm teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs :D

I tend to use Menzerna Polishes, which are great for the VAG paint system. Plus they don't contain fillers, so the finish you see, is the finish you have! But i've heard and seen great things about the Scholl range too.The car should come up well using them. :thumbup:

Keep us posted Hunty. If you need any Detailing help/advice let me know as, I am a trained Professional Detailer.

Rog

Edited by VRS-Rog
  • Like 1

Nice one mate, they look loads better! Mine also has some stobborn corrosion marks, but from a distance they look spot on!

That is what happens when previous owners don't maintain their car to a Detailers standard.

Sounds good, looks like you have some great detailing skills! I hope you know what you are doing with the rotary, as you don't want to make any mistakes! Could be costly!

Do you have/use a PTG (Paint Thickness Guage)? If you don't, my advice is to go easy!! It's always best to air on the safe side! Sorry if I'm teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs :D

I tend to use Menzerna Polishes, which are great for the VAG paint system. Plus they don't contain fillers, so the finish you see, is the finish you have! But i've heard and seen great things about the Scholl range too.The car should come up well using them. :thumbup:

Keep us posted Hunty. If you need any Detailing help/advice let me know as, I am a trained Professional Detailer.

Rog

Exactly Rog, there is nothing wrong with the way Mike (Mercurio on here) maintained the car mechanically or cosmetically. It's a good example and that is why I bought it, but there are things that the likes of you and I NEED to sort out, it's all in the detail!

Thanks for the advice Rog, it is much appreciated and always great to get advice from pro's! I've been a keen ameteur for 3 years now, started with my DAS-6 which I now use for cleansers and glazes, moved up to Rotary a year ago and cannot believe how much quicker it is and the results that can be achieved by them. I've done 9 full enhancement details now, so very few really, but I'm an aircraft engineering Tech by trade, so have applied the care needed in that to fully research techniques etc, but I'm learning every time I pick up my rotary. Carefully goes with them, but not too scary.

I don't have a PTG as they are a little expensive for the use I would get, but I do some friends cars which it would be valuable for, even though, on my mates cars I always air on the side of caution, I never use anything as abrasive as Menzerna Power finish on a 3m yellow pad. On my own I sometimes break out my power gloss to round off the deep scratches, but full paint correction should be left to the professionals with the necessary qualifications, insurance and tools!

I have a little blog going on the cleanyourcar forum, spent a couple of hours on the alloys the other day too, de-tarred, Iron-X'd etc, came up lovely.

Will be sure to keep you posted buddy, and once again, thankyou for the kind offer of your advice, no doubt you will get a PM at some point in the future from me

As you can see, I love my Menzerna polishes, I've used them fom the start, I don't rate their pads, but I now where I am with their polishes! I have the Scholl Concepts S30+ and, looking at the condition of the paint on the octy, this should remove the swirls and bring it back to life. It is so quick to do it's job! Brilliant stuff, I would recommend it, and I have a couple of their pre-production LSP's to test. So will let you know what I think of those too. Their S17+ is supposed to be their wonder product so will try and get my hands on that too. But I always have my litre bottle of Menz PF to get rid of the flaws that the others struggle with.

• Like 1

Nice reply, cheers Hunty :thumbup:

I wasn't trying to insult the previous owner, I'm sure he kept the car to the best of his ability. But, as you quite rightly say, it's all the little details, that gives you the bigger picture. I guess you have to be into detailing, really to appreciate the work that is needed to get a car upto standard.

I feel like I've insulted your intelligence Hunty! Sorry if I did mate! You certainly look like you know what you are doing already, good to see your dedication to detailing. Looks like any advice will go both ways mate! :)

I was a keen ameteur years ago, then decided to get a bit more serious. Started with a DA, same as you and got some nice results. But I wasn't comfortable using a rotary without tuition, after reading some horror stories (strike through and so on)!! So I got professionally trained by Tony Spears (ex Swissvax Instructor) and now detail on a weekend basis, just for my own enjoyment (and money of course!)

My next training will be on PDR (paintless dent removal), so i can offer both car maintenance solutions.

I have used cleanyourcar website, know it quite well, I'll check out your blog. I also like Polished Bliss site too, some sound advice on there too. I like detailing World, but tend to stick to the restoration projects forum, as there is some great work going on in there! I can find the other areas a bit confusing/samey and way too much banter about what the best products are to use (you can spend/waste some serious amount of money on that stuff!!). Don't get me wrong though, there is some seriously, unbelievable talent on DW! :yes:

Yeah totally agree, Menzerna polishes are the bomb, but their pads aren't too great are they?! I'll check out Scholl Concepts, once I'm low on my existing polish. I've got some Wolf's Chemicals "Jeweller" polish, which I haven't used yet, it is supposed to be outstanding after FF, via DA. You can go on forever though can't you, I guess you have to just use what you are happy with. Nice to see you have some contacts, if you ever feel like passing some test samples on then i wouldn't say no!

Good stuff mate, nice chatting to you :thumbup:

Rog

Edited by VRS-Rog
  • Like 1

You haven't insulted my intelligence at all mate, so don't worry and there is absolutely no need to apologise!

I know what you mean about detailing world, it's absolutely massive and like you say about the banter, it can turn a little nasty on there occasionally so I tend to give it a wide birth! Will check out the restoration section on there though, sounds like an interesting section.

I've heard about Tony's tuition and seen a post on CYC from someone who attended it. It's where I want to do it when I get around to it, currently on a pensionable engagement in the RAF so when I've done my time, it's what I want to do, but the pension must come first.

I'm currently only gertting small pots of samples, a friend of mine visits SPautopia regularly and gets the testers. He always puts some to one side for me which is really good of him!

PDR would be a brilliant course to do! So good for your business too mate! It would be great to know how to do it and get the necessary tools.

Would love to detail at the weekends but with 2 young children, the wife would kill me!

Great chatting to you Rog! Will check out your facebook page when I get home, can't do it on the work computers! Will definately be keeping an eye out for you about the forum mate! If I sumble across anything I think is valuable info I'll let you know!

Neil

• Like 1