Space saver wheel size

Hi. Newbie here. I'm about to take delivery of a new octavia greenline 2 next week. Like a number of people the lack of a spare concerned me so I've bought one separately off eBay. I was expecting a space saver but it was delivered today and looks like a full size steel wheel. Is that what Skoda call a space saver? I'm worried it won't fit the greenline as it uses 15" rather than 16" alloys. I was expecting a space saver to be "skinny" although I did wonder how it would save any space if the well is big enough for a full size spare!

Thanks for any help.

when I got my VRS the option was not space saver but spare wheel it was a 16" steel one 205/55/16 I think but if you didnt get it with car you wont have a jack etc just a can of tyre gunk in book was only a £50 option on mine new with full kit hope you got full kit on ebay!

You've probably got a 15" narrow steel with a 185/65 R15 ?? tyre on it? I know what you mean about a true space saver though. The one in my car is a 16" space saver (only 4" wide :D) with a 125/80 R16 tyre on it. Proper narrow!

I've just taken delivery of a Greenline II as well. I checked with the dealer for the price of a spacesaver wheel but found out they only supply a kit with the full size steel wheel, jack and different boot insert. Price was £110 from memory.

The boot has plenty of space for the full size spare - underneath the floor is a large void with just a can of gunk and a compressor as standard. As I understand it the foam liner isn't designed to take a spare wheel though so that is why is supplied with the kit.

Maybe they supply a full size steel so the 50mph limit isn't applied. My tyre is only speed rating N which I think limits me to 88mph (officially) although I am sure they will be fine at 70mph, despite the warning stickers.

I would imagine spare wheel well in boot is same size in all variants I bought a new neptune 18" alloy and put a tyre on it fits in perfectly so if that does any of those will for sure and its 225/40/18

Maybe they supply a full size steel so the 50mph limit isn't applied. My tyre is only speed rating N which I think limits me to 88mph (officially) although I am sure they will be fine at 70mph, despite the warning stickers.

The 16" steelie they gave me is more or less same size as the 18" due to the larger profile etc and certainly not a space saver but still has the stupid big yellow 50mph sticker on it!!!! Wouldn't like to be pulled over by some jobs worth and done for it or insurance refuse to pay out in an accident where they can prove speed above though!

My scout with 17" wheels had a nice 16" spare. I asked Skoda if this was right and apparently it is (as a temporary measure). Not sure how my caravan will behave, though!

Thanks for the replies. I may be being stupid but I was more worried about whether it would fit on the car. There's something in the brochure about a full size spare only being available if you've got 16" alloys. I'll dig it out later

I've a Greenline II Estate and I have one of the standard Alloys as a spare at the moment as I'm on Steel/winters. Bought a Spare wheel kit (which included the wheel tie down attachment) seems to fit fine.

That makes sense, thanks. That's why I can only find the one size available anywhere! So a space saver really just means it's not exactly the same size as the wheel on your car. Not that it's really skinny as I was expecting.

This was line in the brochure that got me worried:

With the standard ‘Pyxis’ alloy wheels and optional 17” ‘Pallas’ wheels it is only possible to order a temporary ‘Space saver’ spare wheel as an option.

It is possible with the optional 16” ‘Crateris’ alloy wheels to order a full size steel wheel as an option.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/Documents/brochures/cars/brochure_octavia.pdf

When I got my car, it came with a full size 18" spare steel wheel. I got a puncture after having the car only 3 weeks, so had to put spare on, but was not to go above 50mph. It came with all the tools.

I'm not too sure I've got this right so please bear with me..........I am about to take delivery of a Superb Elegance 4x4 2.0Tdi Twindoor and as it was bought from the showroom rather than factory ordered it comes with the repair kit rather than a spare wheel of any sort. I was going to retro-order a spare wheel and I know unless I do otherwise it will be what they call a spacesaver with a 16" rim rather than the 18" which are on the car.

Can anyone tell me, will the spare wheel well accommodate a full size 18" alloy?. I know it will be difficult if not impossible to get a matching single Themisto alloy, but for the sake of use only if/when a puncture, I'd rather a full size wheel allowing normal driving than a spacesaver with a 50mph max. I also tow a caravan and would feel more confident knowing the replacement wheel is a normal full size match even if the alloy is a different design.

Any views folks?????

John

I'm not too sure I've got this right so please bear with me..........I am about to take delivery of a Superb Elegance 4x4 2.0Tdi Twindoor and as it was bought from the showroom rather than factory ordered it comes with the repair kit rather than a spare wheel of any sort. I was going to retro-order a spare wheel and I know unless I do otherwise it will be what they call a spacesaver with a 16" rim rather than the 18" which are on the car.

Can anyone tell me, will the spare wheel well accommodate a full size 18" alloy?. I know it will be difficult if not impossible to get a matching single Themisto alloy, but for the sake of use only if/when a puncture, I'd rather a full size wheel allowing normal driving than a spacesaver with a 50mph max. I also tow a caravan and would feel more confident knowing the replacement wheel is a normal full size match even if the alloy is a different design.

Any views folks?????

John

• 4 months later...

+hi guys , that explanes why the spare that came with my octavia vrs , wont fit,, the one thats in the boot is 195/65 r15, good job found out before i realy needed it , the dealer will be getting a call in the morning.